First impressions - Flyon Alltrail 6.0

arawa

Jun 17, 2019
Highlands
Well after a 15 month wait, I finally took delivery of my Haibike Flyon Alltrail 6.0.
I am probably not a typical emtb-er as I only use my bikes as “packhorses” to carry fishing and camping gear up rough trails and footpaths. No bouncing over rocks and roots for me! Which also means I am not really qualified to comment on handling and agility etc.
Although looks are certainly not my priority, first impressions are of a very sleek bike. It made most other bikes in the shop look quite old fashioned. However, the good looks are at the expense of being able quickly to unclip the battery (as I can on my current Haibike hardseven) to reduce carrying weight; a panel has to be removed, the battery unlocked with a key and the bike lifted to allow the battery to drop.
This is my first experience of a drop seat and it is brilliant. Regarding weight, the bike feels no heavier than my existing hardseven but seems much more manoeuvrable.
The controls are massively more complicated (if you wish them to be) than the hardseven and the data screen can be made to tell you anything you want to know except the next lottery result. It is going to be a long time before I know how to use it all! But to get going with basic information displayed is simple.
Some accessories are annoyingly not available yet. The bike-specific panniers and lights will not be available for “many months”. Nor is a bespoke kickstand available yet and I am told the carbon frame is not suitable for a generic version. Really irritatingly, my brilliant Old Man Mountain front pannier rack will not fit and my dealer is having a hard time finding one that will.
Now to the main event; the motor – which is why I changed bikes seeking more grunt for hill climbing. A hill that I could just climb with my hardseven in high power in second bottom gear - the Flyon just zoomed up in mid gear. Everything else is forgiven! Acceleration in higher modes is truly dramatic but the bike is not at all hard to control albeit I have only used it briefly and on hard surfaces so far. It is very easy to flick up and down between power modes. The brakes are fantastic.
The motor emits a hum when working hard but I do not find it intrusive and it is no noisier than my hardseven. It will take me a while to learn to balance various power modes and the gears especially as I am not used to the single-shifting of this gear system but there is masses of grunt available. There does not seem to be any significant motor resistance when pedalling faster than 15mph.
So, very first impressions but the bike certainly seems to meet my brief. When I have used it more I will report back but unfortunately that will be later next week. Still, this will give me time to work through the manual!
The bad news for those interested is that demand appears massive. While sitting in the shop waiting for me to collect the bike several people viewed it and expressed interest in ordering one. They were told the first available delivery date is August 2020!

Kiwi in Wales

Short cranks rule!🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 24, 2018
Carmarthen, Wales
Well after a 15 month wait, I finally took delivery of my Haibike Flyon Alltrail 6.0.
I am probably not a typical emtb-er as I only use my bikes as “packhorses” to carry fishing and camping gear up rough trails and footpaths. No bouncing over rocks and roots for me! Which also means I am not really qualified to comment on handling and agility etc.
Although looks are certainly not my priority, first impressions are of a very sleek bike. It made most other bikes in the shop look quite old fashioned. However, the good looks are at the expense of being able quickly to unclip the battery (as I can on my current Haibike hardseven) to reduce carrying weight; a panel has to be removed, the battery unlocked with a key and the bike lifted to allow the battery to drop.
This is my first experience of a drop seat and it is brilliant. Regarding weight, the bike feels no heavier than my existing hardseven but seems much more manoeuvrable.
The controls are massively more complicated (if you wish them to be) than the hardseven and the data screen can be made to tell you anything you want to know except the next lottery result. It is going to be a long time before I know how to use it all! But to get going with basic information displayed is simple.
Some accessories are annoyingly not available yet. The bike-specific panniers and lights will not be available for “many months”. Nor is a bespoke kickstand available yet and I am told the carbon frame is not suitable for a generic version. Really irritatingly, my brilliant Old Man Mountain front pannier rack will not fit and my dealer is having a hard time finding one that will.
Now to the main event; the motor – which is why I changed bikes seeking more grunt for hill climbing. A hill that I could just climb with my hardseven in high power in second bottom gear - the Flyon just zoomed up in mid gear. Everything else is forgiven! Acceleration in higher modes is truly dramatic but the bike is not at all hard to control albeit I have only used it briefly and on hard surfaces so far. It is very easy to flick up and down between power modes. The brakes are fantastic.
The motor emits a hum when working hard but I do not find it intrusive and it is no noisier than my hardseven. It will take me a while to learn to balance various power modes and the gears especially as I am not used to the single-shifting of this gear system but there is masses of grunt available. There does not seem to be any significant motor resistance when pedalling faster than 15mph.
So, very first impressions but the bike certainly seems to meet my brief. When I have used it more I will report back but unfortunately that will be later next week. Still, this will give me time to work through the manual!
The bad news for those interested is that demand appears massive. While sitting in the shop waiting for me to collect the bike several people viewed it and expressed interest in ordering one. They were told the first available delivery date is August 2020!
Thanks for the review ?, can you post some photos please?

arawa

Jun 17, 2019
Highlands
Thanks for the review ?, can you post some photos please?
Certainly, but it will have to be next week as that is when I will be back with the bike. Meanwhile, here are some pages from the user manual for the display ...

CCC0351F-BF75-4A1E-ACB7-386B6F193A4D.jpeg

94CE27F5-D66B-400C-BD98-65F12E05FECA.jpeg

4614B4A4-C9F4-48A7-ACB7-86A5CB85EAAD.jpeg

Tetsugaku

Founding Member
Mar 4, 2018
Brighton uk
Great to see this thanks for the pictures.
I’m considering an Adventr 5.0, or a trekking model from Haibike because I want panniers and guards built in for a commute, but something fun for the weekend as well.

Q - battery, how hard is it to get out? I would probably need to charge at work during the day and I can’t do that outside.

Q - did you consider the Adventr models? They have built in lights and pannier, otherwise theyre the same as what you’ve got?

cheers!

arawa

Jun 17, 2019
Highlands
Great to see this thanks for the pictures.
I’m considering an Adventr 5.0, or a trekking model from Haibike because I want panniers and guards built in for a commute, but something fun for the weekend as well.

Q - battery, how hard is it to get out? I would probably need to charge at work during the day and I can’t do that outside.

Q - did you consider the Adventr models? They have built in lights and pannier, otherwise theyre the same as what you’ve got?

cheers!
The dealer demonstrated removing the battery but I have not tried. Fiddly rather than difficult I would say. I was comparing it with the few seconds it takes to remove the hardseven battery.
I discounted the Adventr model because I use my bike almost exclusively off-road and on some really rough (for me!) mountain paths so wanted, and was advised to have, the higher spec components. I had asked to fit the Adventr pannier, guards and lights but these parts are not available separately yet.
A comment on a different matter. I have not yet found a completely satisfactory way of clamping the Flyon frame to my Thule Easyfold XT bike carrier. The clamps do not really align with the frame’s curves.

Last edited:

Kiwi in Wales

Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 24, 2018
Carmarthen, Wales
The dealer demonstrated removing the battery but I have not tried. Fiddly rather than difficult I would say. I was comparing it with the few seconds it takes to remove the hardseven battery.
I discounted the Adventr model because I use my bike almost exclusively off-road and on some really rough (for me!) mountain paths so wanted, and was advised to have, the higher spec components. I had asked to fit the Adventr pannier, guards and lights but these parts are not available separately yet.
A comment on a different matter. I have not yet found a completely satisfactory way of clamping the Flyon frame to my Thule Easyfold XT bike carrier. The clamps do not really align with the frame’s curves.

Post a photo of your bike carrier and the issue, I had a similar issue and got around it by doing a bit of customising.

Tetsugaku

Founding Member
Mar 4, 2018
Brighton uk

Hmm, I can't be sure but I'd say your dealer lead you well astray on that one, comparing the specs

XDURO AllTrail 6.0

XDURO Adventr 6.0

The specs are near identical other than the Adventr has the built in lights and paneer that you wanted, for the same price. Fork doesn't have quite the travel, but you don't need 140MM over 120mm do you?

And they're the same price?

Thanks for that - I had a Turbo Levo, and that battery came out in 30 seconds. The Haibike trekking models still seem to have quick release batteries - I may end up going with a much lower spec and cheaper bike because if it's that hard together the Flyon battery out, I'll be well annoyed with it every day at work!!

arawa

Jun 17, 2019
Highlands
Hmm, I can't be sure but I'd say your dealer lead you well astray on that one, comparing the specs

XDURO AllTrail 6.0

XDURO Adventr 6.0

The specs are near identical other than the Adventr has the built in lights and paneer that you wanted, for the same price. Fork doesn't have quite the travel, but you don't need 140MM over 120mm do you?

And they're the same price?

Thanks for that - I had a Turbo Levo, and that battery came out in 30 seconds. The Haibike trekking models still seem to have quick release batteries - I may end up going with a much lower spec and cheaper bike because if it's that hard together the Flyon battery out, I'll be well annoyed with it every day at work!!

My fishing friend, (age 71) who has bought the same bike, and I were very clear to our excellent dealer that our absolute priority was ease of climbing long steep hills with a heavily loaded bike. Hence the preference for the 50t gear cassette. The fork travel benefits are beyond my limited knowledge and experience!

Please don’t let my thoughts put you off the Flyon re battery removal. It might be simple for a more experienced user or indeed if I had paid more attention to the dealer’s demonstration. But if I was commuting, rather than using the bike as I actually am, I think much of the Flyon’s power would never be used - just my opinion.

Tetsugaku

Founding Member
Mar 4, 2018
Brighton uk
I should be clear - if you're happy - that's all that counts so don't worry about anything else I said!

Battery - maybe I just need to have the assist on lower so I can go 50K without charging!

And as for the power - I ride along the coast from Brighton to Worthing, in a gale, and it really blows very hard, even my Levo struggled to get past 15KPH in a headwind, I'm hoping this would keep up full speed!

Kiwi in Wales

Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 24, 2018
Carmarthen, Wales
I should be clear - if you're happy - that's all that counts so don't worry about anything else I said!

Battery - maybe I just need to have the assist on lower so I can go 50K without charging!

And as for the power - I ride along the coast from Brighton to Worthing, in a gale, and it really blows very hard, even my Levo struggled to get past 15KPH in a headwind, I'm hoping this would keep up full speed!
No need to hope, it will ;)

arawa

Jun 17, 2019
Highlands
Post a photo of your bike carrier and the issue, I had a similar issue and got around it by doing a bit of customising.
Thanks Kiwi. Just been trying positions to carry my bike and my friend's bike (another Alltrail 6.0) on the Thule XT. We found one position that will hold both bikes well. Easy to fit too.
All we need now is some better weather....

IMG_4437.jpg

arawa

Jun 17, 2019
Highlands
No real update on my Flyon Alltrail 6.0 because it has been out of action for 6 weeks. My excellent bike shop were making some adjustments for me when they noticed a loose connection to the control panel. They could have soldered the wire but thought I should have a replacement part for such a new and expensive bike. It took 6 weeks for the part to arrive with 3 false/incorrect dates of despatch given by the main UK distributor.
There are still no accessories available for Flyons in the UK and no date for when they will become available; I am waiting for a kickstand as only the Haibike version will fit apparently.
Slightly worryingly, a friend who took delivery of the same Alltrail 6.0 with me has been having problems with his control panel intermittently reporting a “critical error” when he switches on that prevents him from doing anything except switch off and trying again.
The longest trip I have made since getting my bike back is 12 miles over a hilly backroad. With liberal use of “extreme” on the hills I had 60% of the battery remaining at the end. A friend accompanied me on his Haibike hardseven. There was no way he could keep up with me on the hills but had the same battery life remaining on our return.
Being honest, I think I prefer the handling and power delivery of my Yamaha Haibike hardseven over easier routes. But I bought the Alltrail because I wanted/needed more assistance on steep hills and there is no doubt the Flyon delivers on this.:):)

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles