First bike choice .

Bb49er

Nov 17, 2018
Suffolk
All new to me . Like to try all I can . Trail riding would be the main use . Come from Motocross and trials . Cycling always just road in past .

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Depends what bike's geometry/wheelsize/travel suits your riding best.
Spec doesn't actually matter all that much. There isn't an Emtb above £3k with terrible spec
What I mean is there's no real point karting around a 170mm Lyrik if all you're going to be riding is blue graded trail centre loops. Likewise if you're going to be smashing EWS Enduro stages weekly a lower spec more basic shorter travel fork definitely isn't going to be as nice.
In my eyes they're very different bikes. Ultimately choose which one suits you best based on the frame that ticks most boxes not the parts bolted to it.

If you're new to mtb but have good mx/trials skills they'll mostly transfer pretty quickly. Never met a decent moto trials rider who wasn't instantly a pretty decent rider when given a shot of a mountain bike.
If you think all round general trail riding is where you'd like to stay the Levo is hard to beat, but if you think more technical gravity riding is where you see yourself headed the Sommet is the better option.

MattyB

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Jul 11, 2018
Herts, UK
All new to me . Like to try all I can . Trail riding would be the main use . Come from Motocross and trials . Cycling always just road in past .
Good advice from Gary above. The Levo is undoubtedly a good bike, but I do feel it's extremely expensive - at launch that was trumpeted as being because it's the best integrated, most highly developed bike on the market, but given the issues owners are experiencing with noisy motors and mud ingress I'm not so sure that really holds up.

If you want to go the shorter travel route but fancy a better spec than the Levo for your £££ then the Canyon Spectral:On, Commencal Meta or Giant Trance E+ are all better value alternatives with their own strengths and weaknesses.

Last edited:

galaga187

E*POWAH Master
Apr 15, 2018
Wroughton
I have the Levo 2019 Comp Carbon and I love it but not really much difference in spec to the base model. I'd still say Levo if you want great dealer and community support but the Canyon rides really well. For the money involved I'd recommend test riding any bikes, there may be accomodating people on the Canyon group close to you.

bikerider007

Nov 7, 2018
Norfolk
Don't rule out the cube stereo great value for money I found thats why I went for mine and I didn't have to wait till next year for it. The Levo can be a bit hard to get hold of.. the vitus sold out very quickly this year

Stevfro99

Oct 18, 2018
Huddersfield
Good advice from Gary above. The Levo is undoubtedly a good bike, but I do feel it's extremely expensive - at launch that was trumpeted as being because it's the best integrated, most highly developed bike on the market, but given the issues owners are expereincing with noisy motors and mud ingress I'm not so sure that really holds up. If you want to go the shorter travel route but fancy a better spec than the Levo for your £££ then the Canyon Spectral:On, Commencal Meta or Giant Trance E+ are all better value alternatives with their own strengths and weaknesses.
I have the Commencal and it's savage. Literally deals with anything. I was torn between this and the Canyon. Both lightest bikes for the brass too

Bb49er

Nov 17, 2018
Suffolk
Wiggle . Should be within seven days . First bike in a box , putting me in mind of mfi flatpacks . Hope not !
Joking aside the wiggle discount is at 20% at the moment . I was still undecided that helped , so I jumped .

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
You didn’t buy the last medium by any chance?

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
First bike in a box , putting me in mind of mfi flatpacks . Hope not !

TBF if they're coming built by the same source as the CRC ones they're pretty much built and come in the biggest bike box you've ever seen.
Just set up the bars, add pedals and sort out your shock/fork pressures/settings. Tyre pressures and they're ready to ride.
BUT Bolt check the entire bike. Including crank pinch bolts and dropout/rear mech hanger.
also. go tubeless ASAP the tubes supplied weigh a ton.

Oh... and stick the battery on charge first so it's ready to go as far as you fancy BOOSTing everywhere on the first ride ;)

Bb49er

Nov 17, 2018
Suffolk
Will do Gary , sounds straight forward . Be fitting my light , short days and all .
Doomanic wasn't me , size L on way . Sure they will restock soon .

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles