New guy - bike choice?

Slapdash

Aug 1, 2022
Norway
Hi all, new guy here.

Before this month, I last rode a bicycle about 20 years ago, was quite into it and had BMX's which I even raced a few times. Never been on a full sus, only hardtails with like 100 mm travel :D Fast forward, got into Adventure motorcycle riding, and that led to also doing Enduro riding - sand dunes, desert, trails, all kinds of areas. Moved to a different country and now this is seemingly a little more difficult to just randomly explore with a motorcycle than what I had.
Recently rented a hardtail mtb for the hell of it and had a blast just riding around the area on holiday - uphills were a dreary afair but downhills and little ops and stuff was great fun, and I wondered if this could not scratch the itch of the Enduro motorcyles a little bit.
So...researching and talking to people a colleague said that he just tried out an ebike and so we got talking. He is mainly looking for something to double as commuter etc. but then I thought hey, what are the electric mountain bike scene like.... and here I am. Looking for some summer fun to get back in shape and have something I can grow and get better at.

Currently deciding between an Orbea Wild FS H20, Trek Rail 5 or a Focus Sam2 6.7. Not sure which one to choose - and this is where I can use some advice.

All have local or nearish dealers, the TRek and Focus are more or less the same price. The Orbea is actually a bit cheaper so that I can actually inlcude a good helmet, gloves and some knee pads.

Im currently leaning towards the Focus merely for what seems to be better travel, can make it a mullet which is a good option I read. I am 1.85m so it seems a L size is good using the measurements. Sitting and fitting on bikes that are close is an issue. No one has these bikes in stock that are close, however there is stock of all about 200km or so away. Localy dealers will service and can swap out and deal with Bosch motors especially pretty easily though.

Any advice appreciated.

Last edited:

UVRail

Sep 13, 2020
London
I wouldn’t recommend the Rail 5 particularly. The motor, battery and frame are all excellent, but there’s major cost cutting elsewhere. In particular, the SX drivetrain fell apart for me, and I also ended up replacing the brakes, tyres, grips and various other items. If you’re going to go Trek, I’d venture a little bit higher in the range if you can…

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
Another vote for the Rail. The level of Rail really depends on your intentions or terrain. I have a Rail 9.7 for the techy trails here, but I use a PF Hardtail for the tame trails or as a commuter.

Slapdash

Aug 1, 2022
Norway
I wouldn’t recommend the Rail 5 particularly. The motor, battery and frame are all excellent, but there’s major cost cutting elsewhere. In particular, the SX drivetrain fell apart for me, and I also ended up replacing the brakes, tyres, grips and various other items. If you’re going to go Trek, I’d venture a little bit higher in the range if you can…

Thanks - yeah I think thats why i eventually settled on the Focus Sam2 - its components stock seemed a bit better overall, plus in stock in my size. Trek in my size said 2023 order status. The Canyon Spectral:ON was same budget - nice that its full carbon but the travel was a lot less and I just preferred the dealer backup here locally over the Shimano - which seems to be ok, but a little more of an issue.

Should get it tomorrow :)

Slapdash

Aug 1, 2022
Norway
Another vote for the Rail. The level of Rail really depends on your intentions or terrain. I have a Rail 9.7 for the techy trails here, but I use a PF Hardtail for the tame trails or as a commuter.

Interestingly i almost went for a hardtail Haibike - but then when I took the rental hardtail a few places i decided I need a rear sus. If I was going non electric I would probably have gone hardtail.

I ordered the helmet - ordered after fitting ... Bell Super Air R Mips - in "Green/Infrared" :D Should also be there tomorrow.

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
Interestingly i almost went for a hardtail Haibike - but then when I took the rental hardtail a few places i decided I need a rear sus. If I was going non electric I would probably have gone hardtail.

I ordered the helmet - ordered after fitting ... Bell Super Air R Mips - in "Green/Infrared" :D Should also be there tomorrow.
I definitely like the full-sus. Sometimes I wish the Powerfly was a full-sus but the Rail does the job for those “special” trips.

irie

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
May 2, 2022
Chichester, W.Sussex, UK

We have two 2022 Rail 5's purchased in January this year - they both have Shimano Deore drive trains.

Last edited:

Mat146

Sep 7, 2022
Portsmouth UK

Im in exactly the same position but yet to commit to a bike. Do you have a 1 month review of the Sam2 6.7 yet:) how are you getting on?

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles