Fire safe battery charging

krokan

Oct 20, 2021
B
How do you charge your ebike battery? Do you plug charger directly to your ebike charging port or do you remove the battery from bike and charge the battery in some fire safe box?

I'm thinking about welding of some metal box where I would charge the batteries, does it worth it?

krokan

Oct 20, 2021
B
Even some Tesla cars burned down and they have probably better BMS and battery monitoring than any ebike battery. 😟

krokan

Oct 20, 2021
B
That is a good idea to build it out of bricks!! Not kidding! Or metal box with these fire proof bricks inside, like fireplace!

urastus

⚡The Whippet⚡
May 4, 2020
Tasmania
I'm not sure I'd panic yet. They used a wrong charger? Consider that we're still driving internal combustion cars that we fill up with highly inflammable liquid. That liquid is stored in big reservoirs where we go to buy it. We then drive these machines around on the road with many other intolerant road users and we're all carry 20 to 40 litres of highly flammable liquid :ROFLMAO:, all the time!

Shimano has two model chargers for the e8000, I have the slow one. It's actually better for the battery and of course generates less heat in the battery while charging. Other folk whinge about this charger, I'm OK with it. I also use a timer - that must limit the potential danger to some degree by minimising the time that there is actually power to the charger.

Last edited:

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
My first emtb had a non-removable battery, so no choice there. No problem either.

Next emtb has a removable battery which I removed once just to see that it did come out and go back OK. But it has stayed in the frame for the last year. The only concession I make to any potential fire risk is to place the charger on the concrete floor of the garage rather than the sisal matting that the bike is stood on.

I use a timer on the charger, timed to end just as I enter the garage to collect the bike. Maybe I should start checking the frame for temperature? :unsure:

krokan

Oct 20, 2021
B
My first emtb had a non-removable battery, so no choice there. No problem either.

Next emtb has a removable battery which I removed once just to see that it did come out and go back OK. But it has stayed in the frame for the last year. The only concession I make to any potential fire risk is to place the charger on the concrete floor of the garage rather than the sisal matting that the bike is stood on.

I use a timer on the charger, timed to end just as I enter the garage to collect the bike. Maybe I should start checking the frame for temperature? :unsure:

You can buy Sonoff temperature smart switch.
You can disconnect the charger automatically if the temperature rise to some suspicious temperature. (Or/and you can be notified). It is Sonoff TH10 with sensor... On Ali for like 10$

I use it for my 3D printer..

Waynemarlow

E*POWAH Master
Dec 6, 2019
Bucks

Best box going for our size batteries

and best fire board.

MountainBoy

Mar 4, 2022
Washington State, USA
Even some Tesla cars burned down and they have probably better BMS and battery monitoring than any ebike battery. 😟

Some early Tesla burned up but the media blew it all of proportion considering that statistically, your gasoline car is about 10-11 times as likely to catch on fire and burn up. Do you worry about parking your gas car in your garage?

What is the most common way Tesla have had battery fires?

#1 High speed crashes that physically damage the batteries. Even here EV is much safer than an equivalent crash in a car fueled with gasoline. Because steel sliding on pavement makes sparks and spilled gasoline turns into an instant fireball in the presence of sparks.

One over-hyped Tesla battery fire was caused by the owner accidently discharging his handgun inside the cabin. It went right through the battery which caught on fire a few hours later. Other Tesla fires have been caused by charging the battery improperly. Always use and charge a battery using the manufacturer's approved current and voltages.

Lithium ion batteries are less energy dense than gasoline, but they must still be treated with respect.

krokan

Oct 20, 2021
B
I'm not arguing, just saying that no BMS or any other electronic equipment will 100% protect you from the fire. I just want to avoid spreading of the fire.

MountainBoy

Mar 4, 2022
Washington State, USA
I'm not arguing, just saying that no BMS or any other electronic equipment will 100% protect you from the fire. I just want to avoid spreading of the fire.

I just charge my eMTB battery when I'm at home and awake. That way if there is a problem, I can take care of it without burning my house down! If you have a fireplace or hearth, you could charge it there for an extra measure of safety.

Kiteboy

Mar 30, 2022
USA
I charge mine on the pool patio, 10 feet from pool. It is under cover and in the shade and I only charge it when I'm at home. I also keep batteries in the top of a short tool box with sliding table top feature covering the large top compartment. The thought there being I could roll the box out of the garage if batteries caught fire while charging in it. I scrapped that plan when I considered that my bike tools and new spare parts are kept in the drawers below and they certainly would not survive a battery fire.

rod9301

Oct 10, 2020
US
You can disconnect the charger automatically if the temperature rise to some suspicious temperature. (Or/and you can be notified). It is Sonoff TH10 with sensor... On Ali for like 10$

Do you put the temperature sensor on the bike battery?

krokan

Oct 20, 2021
B
Do you put the temperature sensor on the bike battery?

I'm not using it currently for my bike but for my 3D printer to monitor dangerous temperature. It can be used the same way for battery charging monitoring though.

Last edited:

Slapbassmunky

Aug 1, 2020
Isle of wight
I've built many e-bike batteries over the years. The concerns raised here are all alleviated by very strict pack control by the BMS, the slightest hint of anything going out of strict parameters and the pack is shut down.

Physical damage is the biggest danger to a well designed and engineered battery pack - which all of our top tier e-bikes have.

FWIW I charge my Bosch 500 & 625 packs where I want to within reason. If I'm happy to charge it in a pub sat next to complete strangers while I'm outside in the beer garden then I should be happy to charge it in my house. Would I do the same with my RC racing LiPo's, hell no! But they're a totally different beast with a totally different rulebook. 👍

Slapbassmunky

Aug 1, 2020
Isle of wight

The BMS already monitors pack temp and will disconnect the charger if it's too high. If the temperature rise is too fast over a given time it will brick the pack.

MountainBoy

Mar 4, 2022
Washington State, USA
Physical damage is the biggest danger to a well designed and engineered battery pack - which all of our top tier e-bikes have.

FWIW I charge my Bosch 500 & 625 packs where I want to within reason. If I'm happy to charge it in a pub sat next to complete strangers while I'm outside in the beer garden then I should be happy to charge it in my house. Would I do the same with my RC racing LiPo's, hell no! But they're a totally different beast with a totally different rulebook. 👍

I agree with that but there are plenty of e-bikes that have unsafe battery systems, yeah, they are not the top tier, mainstream brands.

Most importantly, I would not trust ANY used battery because you don't know if it has been rebuilt by a third party. I consider all batteries rebuilt by someone other than the actual manufacturer to be an unacceptable risk.

Li-ion batteries are actually very safe as long as the system they are used with is properly designed and the battery has not been physically damaged. Of course, gasoline is also very safe when used within the proper parameters! Used improperly, it's far more dangerous than most people understand.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles