Shimano EP8 motored battery fire

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Much rarer to see a main stream motor manufacturers bike go up in smoke. Could be a third party battery though or have a third party range extender.

Looks like there were two bikes there, one EMTB and one normal. Apparently the Shimano bike was on charge.

1707122105527.png

1707122185670.png

I'm being dumb and can't tell what it is. Not an E-Sommet, or a YT or an Orbea or a Pivot or a Santa or a Merida. Maybe a Canyon Spectral:ON ?

• Wow
Reactions: Dax

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Ooops .. I see @cozzy had already posted yesterday in another thread.

kla456

Mar 8, 2020
Dundee
Ooops .. I see @cozzy had already posted yesterday in another thread.

If you are right, Cycling Weekly reported in May '23 that the following Canyon bikes were UL 2849 certified
Grail:ON, Precede:ON, Spectral:ON, Torque:ON

Mr-EPIC-3

Feb 25, 2020
USA, So Cal
I wonder if it was the battery or the charging brick? The charging brick with my eMTB gets so hot during charging, I can't touch it. I have a power cord that come down from the ceiling of my garage and I let the brick hang free not resting on anything.

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
If it getting that hot I would chuck it!!
I place my Bosch charger on a small cast iron roasting dish to act as a heat sink..............even after charging a 750 w/h battery from a bout 25% to fully charged it only gets warm....nowhere near what I would classify as hot.

B1rdie

Subscriber
Feb 14, 2019
Brazil
I wonder if it was the battery or the charging brick? The charging brick with my eMTB gets so hot during charging, I can't touch it. I have a power cord that come down from the ceiling of my garage and I let the brick hang free not resting on anything.
First thing I thought of... look at those wires hanging from the wall behind the bikes, probably a damaged power cord that was being used there and short circuited. Besides, lots of flammables disposed all over the place. A very predictable disaster scene.

kla456

Mar 8, 2020
Dundee
London Fire Brigade is asking e-bike users to check their batteries following a fire caused by an exploding battery that has been officially classed by the UK’s regulatory body as a “dangerous” product.

The battery pack caught alight in a corridor of a hotel in Kensington on Friday 26 January with around 25 firefighters required to put the fire out.

In January, the Office for Product Safety and Standards (OPSS) announced it is taking enforcement action against the manufacturer of the UPP battery after its products were linked to a number of fires in the UK.

Five online marketplaces have been issued with Withdrawal Notices, which require them to stop supplying the UPP battery. The Withdrawal Notice has also been issued to 20 sellers directly and the China-based manufacturer.

The Brigade's Assistant Commissioner for Fire Safety, Charlie Pugsley, said: "The recent enforcement action taken by the Office for Product Safety & Standards is a welcome step towards reducing the risk of customers being exposed to dangerous products.

"The lithium batteries that power these vehicles have failed catastrophically and caused devastating fires. We’re asking people to check whether they have a UPP battery at home. If you do, stop using it right away, and contact the seller.

"Often, these batteries fail if they are used with the wrong charger, are faulty, counterfeit or become damaged. As part of our #ChargeSafe campaign, we are calling for much-needed legislation for online marketplaces to ensure products like batteries, chargers and conversion kits are strictly regulated.”

Graham Russell, Chief Executive of OPSS, said: “We consider these UPP batteries to be dangerous, and that is why we are taking this action to stop them being supplied. This fire in Kensington really emphasises why we’ve taken the action that we have. Consumers need to be aware of the risk of these batteries failing, and the potential fatal consequences that can occur. If anyone owns one, they should not use it and contact the seller for redress.”

At the fire, a man inside a hotel room heard the battery pack making a hissing noise and when he touched it, felt that it was unusually hot. Picking up the battery, he then placed the battery down on the ground just outside his room. Around 20 minutes later, the battery caught alight, quickly filling the corridor with smoke. He was seen trying to smother the fire but was unable to do so, due to the intensity of the fire.

Firefighters were on the scene four minutes after being alerted and worked to extinguish the fire. There were no reports of injuries with around 80 people safely evacuating the building.

Assistant Commissioner Pugsley added: “This was a lucky escape for the occupant who inadvertently compromised his own escape route as well as others by placing it where he did in the corridor. If a battery is showing signs of failing, such as if it’s too hot, leave it alone and raise the alarm. In this case, the occupant picked the battery up before later trying to put out the fire using extinguishers. You should never try and tackle a lithium battery fire. Instead get away and call 999.”

E-bikes and e-scooters have become London’s fastest growing fire risk. In the early hours of this morning, around 40 firefighters were called to a fire at a flat in Whitechapel. Two people were rescued by firefighters via ladders. The fire is believed to have been caused by the failure of a lithium battery in an e-bike which was being stored on an escape route (hallway).

Anyone know which bikes have UUP batteries installed?

irie

Subscriber
May 2, 2022
Chichester, W.Sussex, UK

JP-NZ

E*POWAH Elite
Feb 17, 2022
Christchurch - New Zealand
If it getting that hot I would chuck it!!
I place my Bosch charger on a small cast iron roasting dish to act as a heat sink..............even after charging a 750 w/h battery from a bout 25% to fully charged it only gets warm....nowhere near what I would classify as hot.
Same here, Bosch 4A charger on Smart system 750wh battery

Semmelrocc

E*POWAH Master
Dec 28, 2021
Germany
when he touched it, felt that it was unusually hot. Picking up the battery, he then placed the battery down on the ground just outside his room. Around 20 minutes later, the battery caught alight,
I think my battery might go up in flames. Let's place it right in my and all other hotel guests' escape route! 🤦‍♂️

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles