Fantic nightmare

Geffro

Oct 10, 2020
GoBig174Mx27
Just got my Fantic Integra back from the shop after 6 days there , it cut out on a ride , turned out to be damp in the battery cable at the motor end , the cable was only replaced about 4 rides ago , and it turned out its my fault for riding it in the damp and washing it . Disappointed in the attitude of the shop and Fantic bikes UK very poor service and attitude, if I can’t have fun in a bit of damp then it’s unfit for purpose, any one recommend a good solicitor

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Did you jet wash it ?

All the bike motor's are protected to a degree for general moisture, rain and so on. But power washing will normally get into where it's not supposed to go - so will submerging.

It seems strange they replaced the cable and then you got he same problem so soon. Cables to motors can split over time and cause water ingress, but it's unusual to happen in such a short time :(

If you put the bike somewhere dry, does it dry out and work properly again ? It's not just water/metal flux/dirt in the connector ?

Geffro

Oct 10, 2020
GoBig174Mx27
Did you jet wash it ?

All the bike motor's are protected to a degree for general moisture, rain and so on. But power washing will normally get into where it's not supposed to go - so will submerging.

It seems strange they replaced the cable and then you got he same problem so soon. Cables to motors can split over time and cause water ingress, but it's unusual to happen in such a short time :(

If you put the bike somewhere dry, does it dry out and work properly again ? It's not just water/metal flux/dirt in the connector ?
Never ever used a jet wash on any of my bike or even this Ebike as I understand the problems that can happen when used , the bike is less than six months old and been trouble from day one

Sidepod

Sep 2, 2020
Oxford
"
All the bike motor's are protected to a degree for general moisture, rain and so on "

IP65 in the case of the Haibike Flyon (for example) Ingress Protection.

1614950067880.png

fenwick458

Oct 6, 2020
Cumbria
I just absolutely launched mine through about 10 to 15 substantial (150mm-200mm deep and at least a metre long) puddles, is that not advisable for e-bikes in general??

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
If you paid by credit card, even just a deposit, get them involved under S75.

Geffro

Oct 10, 2020
GoBig174Mx27
Black modified Brose update cable , red old cable wrapped in tape by Fantic I think to get shot of old stock crap , the one fitted to my bike failed after the first wash
1A2D72EC-52C0-4ED8-AEF7-2085FB2BC2C6.png

Cyclopath1000

Apr 26, 2019
Davis Ca
Maybe I'm not following this correctly. So 1. there is some kind of defect in a cable . 2. You just found 2 new cables that may be the solution . 3. If that is the solution and it works , what's the big deal at this point ? .4. is it you expected to be treated like you just brought your 150k ferrari into the dealer? I'm unclear! E bikes are kinda new territory. I don't expect a whole lot from random mechanics at various shops. The job doesn't require phd a in electrical transmission. What are they making per hour..

Gavalar

Feb 4, 2019
UK
Just got my Fantic Integra back from the shop after 6 days there , it cut out on a ride , turned out to be damp in the battery cable at the motor end , the cable was only replaced about 4 rides ago , and it turned out its my fault for riding it in the damp and washing it . Disappointed in the attitude of the shop and Fantic bikes UK very poor service and attitude, if I can’t have fun in a bit of damp then it’s unfit for purpose, any one recommend a good solicitor
Depending on how old it is, and if you bought it with your credit card then have a look at a section 75, your card provider will furnish you with all the details of how to proceed.

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
I think @Cyclopath1000 has a point.

It's not totally clear what your agenda is.

You don't seem to want help - other than asking for a good solicitor and I'm sure there's better places for that than here.

You're obviously unhappy with the bike as you said :

the bike is less than six months old and been trouble from day one

You might have a legitimate complaint - maybe the bike has been nothing but trouble since day one. Generally though a shop will try and resolve problems. You're obviously able to ride the bike, or you wouldn't be in this situation ? So is the problem the bike or your expectations ?

However, from what you've said, you just seem to want to complain and point out that you're correct and Fantic are crap ? (Now I'll be accused of being a Fantic Fan Boy :) )

and it turned out its my fault for riding it in the damp and washing it

A bike shop is not going to say it's your fault for riding it in the "damp". The bikes are more than capable of being ridden in the damp, wet, water, mud. The problems arise with how people clean them or if they drown them. If a cable has split, which can happen, then obviously it won't take much moisture to cause a short circuit. It seems this was the case and they changed the cable for you. You had a problem, they fixed it - you're complaining ?!!

Now you have another problem and you've decided its the same thing. You've looked on line and found the Fantic cables are "crap" / different to the other ones you've found, when the case is more likely that Fantic have upgraded the cables with an extra layer of shrink wrap to protect them from moisture ingress if there is a split.

In some random gesture you've put up an extract from an online Specialized bike manual, which doesn't even say if it's for an e-bike or not. I'm not sure if this is some way to prove that it is ok to drown your bike - even though it's obviously not and all the manuals will tell you to take care with water around batteries/motors/controllers and so on. Unfortunately, in doing so it just makes you look more irrational in how you're dealing with this and presenting it.

I guess the big question is ... what is your point ?

Geffro

Oct 10, 2020
GoBig174Mx27
My point
When I buy something I would like it to do what it is sold to do but when or if it fails in the warranty period I expect to be treated fairly and with respect to the fact that I chose to spend my cash with them . I expect decent after sales customer care , I expect the bike in this case to be rectified in a timely manner and a modicum of regret or disappointment from the dealer that I am experiencing troubles with my bike , in this case where the problem has been water ingress i would expect a quality solution and fix and not to be told not to get the bike wet by the dealer that would make the bike unusable for a good part of the year here. Another of my points is to warn others of the poor after sales care of Fantic so they can take on board my negative experience before they lay down there cash on one , there are a few other Points but I could go on for quite some time and what is the point in that . Anyway here is a list os issues I have had
1, on the first ride after collecting the bike the crank arms came lose and kept coming lose , asked for new arms and was told to put locktight on them .
2, noticed a motor cover screw was cross threaded and only a quarter of the way in , asked for a new screw as the head was rounded , but no part was ordered
3, after les than 100 miles the motor started playing up on my bike and my sons where the assist did not cut off , retuned to the shop but was fobbed off because it did not do it for them at this point I lost faith and returned both bikes and asked for a refund , arguing went on for about 5 weeks and eventually I caved and gave him the chance to rectify the crank arms , screw and another issue with my sons bike and we would have them back and he would have to sort the motors out when I could prove the fault but warned them that I would hold him fully responsible for any injury or harm caused by the motor not cutting off , well the first ride out I was able to film my bike pulling me up hill without my feet on the pedals and thankfully they then replaced the motors on both bikes , really should not be that hard to get them to believe you .
4, not long after new motors my sons bike would fail to turn on after washing it , after two or three visits to the shop and many days of me drying and wetting different parts of the system I could prove it was the power cable was getting damp on it , new updated black style cable fitted and has been good as gold since .
5, my bike ran good with the new motor for many weeks then started with the not turning on problem new cable supplied and it did strange things from day one eventually cutting out on a ride and not turning on so I had to pedal old school back to the shop and dropped it with them to sort . Popped in the next day and was told to go away as he had a migraine and could not talk , but had opened the shop , left it for four days and contacted him to see what the problem was , he sent me photos of damp in the main motor plug with some blue corrosion , I asked what the solution was , his reply was , take it . Called by and he was hostile and told me it was basically my fault and I need to keep the bike dry and because the bike had mud on it then it was obviously wet on the day I dropped it off , I then said then if I can not use it in the wet then it is unfit for purpose to which he replied , I disagree and walked off and left me . Leaving me disappointed and angry for sure .
Now I just wait for the next problem

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
Your problem seems to be the dealer rather than Fantic. Is there another nearby that you can use?
Have you contacted the UK distributor and discussed your problems or only dealt with the shop?

Geffro

Oct 10, 2020
GoBig174Mx27
I have been in touch with the UK importer and they side with the dealer other than saying I can use the bike in the wet but I need to strip and dry the bike out every time I ride in the wet or wash it , so my experience with them is not much better

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
OK. So annoying then ! :)

On your points.

1. Shouldn't need new crank arms, the left one unwinds sometimes if not tight enough. So locktite or correct torque should have remedied.

2. Yes, they should have sorted that.

3. Sounds like torque sensor failure.

4. Some success ! You're not alone in cracked power cables and the designs have been updated.

5. All sounds odd. There's probably two sides to it, but you can use it in the wet. How wet might be the question. It's also important to clean it afterwards (get mud off which will stay wet) and dry it. I use a battery leaf blower to try and get as much moisture off/out of places as possible. Also a brose motor and the bike has always been used in the wet/mud problem free. Never jet wash, never spray water directly at the battery area, motor, switches. If it has been really wet or you're not sure just how deep you got, it's imperative to dry it out in some way afterwards :

wet1.jpg

ken.jpg

7869hodgy

Jul 15, 2020
Reading
I used my bike extensively over the winter. Hosed it down after every ride and bought a cheap small heater for the shed to try and dry. It’s never missed a beat.

You should be able to rely on a bike to do the basics as above.

How you approach the dealer has a huge effect on what they do for you. It shouldn’t but typically does.

Good luck.

Dec 18, 2019
UK
Geffo, are yuour bikes less than 6 months old? If so, you have strong rights to return the goods as not fit for purpose under Consumer Rights Law. Older than 30 days and you have to give the retailer one chance to repair your bike. If that then fails, you can return for a full refund. If it's over 6 months, you have to allow the same repair, but then you may still return the item, but the retailer can deduct an amount for fair wear and tear. Under 6 months, it's down to the retailer tp prove the bike wasn't faulty, older than 6 months and the onus is on the purchaser to prove fault. If you truly are unhappy, those are your legal options, or you choose to keep the bikes, be careful how you wash them and try to keep them stored in the warm and dry. Warranty, with a reputable retailer, should see you right, but some of those excuses/explanations you've been given would indicate, to me, that the bike could be viewed as not fit for purpose.

Feb 14, 2019
Tillicoultry
Hi there, I too had a nightmare with the fantic and in particular the bike shop where I bought the bike.. DAMIAN harris Cycles refused to accept any responsibility. I went through a new motor, 3 power cables, bofore I eventually stripped the bike down dried the motor and coated the electrics and seals in xcf. In addition I wrapped the power lead in self emalgimating silicon tape and this allowed me to ride in the wet without the motor shutting down. Anyhow I still wasnt impressed and took the bike shop to court for a full refund. It took me 4 months from the initial claim until I received my £5k back.... There is no excuse for piss poor customer service... Take the bike shop to court.. You will win.

Feb 14, 2019
Tillicoultry
What shop??? Name and shame!!

Dec 18, 2019
UK
Hi there, I too had a nightmare with the fantic and in particular the bike shop where I bought the bike.. DAMIAN harris Cycles refused to accept any responsibility. I went through a new motor, 3 power cables, bofore I eventually stripped the bike down dried the motor and coated the electrics and seals in xcf. In addition I wrapped the power lead in self emalgimating silicon tape and this allowed me to ride in the wet without the motor shutting down. Anyhow I still wasnt impressed and took the bike shop to court for a full refund. It took me 4 months from the initial claim until I received my £5k back.... There is no excuse for piss poor customer service... Take the bike shop to court.. You will win.

Especially so, now you have a case adjudication reference that the court has ruled on already.

Geffro

Oct 10, 2020
GoBig174Mx27
My poor experience has been with Midwest Moto in Stourport-On-Severn, a Fantic motorcycle and bike dealer , more troubles this weekend see the videos

Geffro

Oct 10, 2020
GoBig174Mx27
Sorry can’t get them to load but basically had a ride Saturday cam back from the ride , rode up to my gate dismounted and the bike carried on all by itself drying me through the gate , got a video of the bike taking me up and down the road without my feet on the pedals, next day would not turn on , an hour with the air driver and it was alive but still with a mind of its own , dangerous it is

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Sounds like a faulty torque sensor in the motor. Should be a motor swap. Hope you didn't injure yourself !

The not turning on is something else though.

fenwick458

Oct 6, 2020
Cumbria
Last time I heard of Fantic was back in the 70's and their mopeds. I seem to remember they were shite as well.
first time I heard of them was end of last year in a local bike shop. everything I wanted was out of stock and I just said "so what can you get?"
and the guy said "oh well you can still get hold of Fantics no problem" and showed me a brochure for one. had a quick look though it and said "nah you're alright!"
the bike I saw was a 27.5, with an underpowered and outdated motor, and a 35mm rockshock fork of some kind, and it was £5000. I thought to myself theres no wonder they are still in plentiful supply they are shite

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles