EXT E-Storia knock/clunk at full extension?

FirstAscent

Apr 5, 2023
Portland
Hey everyone,

wondering if anyone has had a similar issue, there is a knock/clunk in the shock at full extension. For example, if I simply lift the frame or seat to allow full extension there is a clunk or knock sound, almost like the piston is having a harsh top out. It does it 100% of the time, whether I extend it fast or slow. It just gets louder if you go faster.

shock is new, literally installed it today. Hardware is new, bike is new. Everything is torqued and triple checked.

this is on a new ‘22 Turbo Levo with a new as well cascade link long shock kit. I installed a stock Fox shock and no noise so I know it’s not the link. I even reinstalled the EXT without a spring and it still makes the same noise at full extension.

I’ve probably reinstalled the EXT 7 different times today ruling everything else out I can think of.

of course it’s the weekend so I can’t call Cascade or EXT, but hoping someone here maybe has a solution :)

so much for a “custom” shock… :(

Hamina

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
Mar 22, 2020
FIN
I just had the first ride with new Ext e-storia yesterday and had the same symptons. I was just about to check the rebound settings. Interesting post! Will report if I find something.

FirstAscent

Apr 5, 2023
Portland
I was thinking hard about ordering so will be interested to see if this is a common issue, must say all the reading up i have done seems really positive about this shock, i hope you figure it out soon as it must be hugely frustrating considering the cost of it!
Yeah same, before I ordered all my research has been positive as well. I’ll definitely be calling them first thing on Monday and will keep you updated.

I just had the first ride with new Ext e-storia yesterday and had the same symptons. I was just about to check the rebound settings. Interesting post! Will report if I find something.
Odd, let me know any updates on your end.

I did a ton of searching online since this post and I found one recent thread on another forum where someone was talking about a knock similar to mine. Not the E-Storia but I believe a Storia V2. He had gotten it back from being serviced and had the symptoms. In the end he sent it back to the shop that serviced it and they did fix it so that’s positive.

He stated “turned out to be the main piston band causing the knock. The Mojo guys honoured some service work on it and it's arrived back in perfect working condition”.

Not sure how similar these shocks are, or if it’s the exact same remedy, and although it’s pretty frustrating to receive a brand new shock with issues I hope it’s an easy fix.

This will be one of the few times I can’t wait for Monday 😂

FirstAscent

Apr 5, 2023
Portland
Please check this video first, especially starting from 2:27
Thanks, great video but unfortunately that didn’t help with this issue at all.

However I did snug up the preload collar a turn at its “over extended” length on a bike stand, never had to adjust preload that way before.
I was really hoping that was it when I watched the video, but nope, still exactly the same issue/sound.

FirstAscent

Apr 5, 2023
Portland
No solution yet but wanted to provide an update, I’m still frustrated.

I’ve been speaking with EXT and they are saying it’s normal. Maybe so, but I still don’t accept it. Why is an expensive shock doing this, I can buy a budget, used, 10 year old shock that doesn’t do this.

I was told “this is inherent with the e-Storia and everything sounds normal to me.”

Note that a key highlight point on their website specifically says “Internal negative spring to avoid harsh top-out and improve bike platform stability”. Well it’s clearly useless at doing its intended purpose then.

Just to be fair, I haven’t actually ridden the bike with this shock yet, so functionally it may be sound. I have no comment or experience with its performance yet, maybe it’s epic! I dunno. But this knock bothers me for what I’d consider a high end shock. They did ask me to ride it and report back.

If I can’t figure it out and it’s an acceptable issue to them, I’ll be returning it and getting an Ohlins or something else built for me.

ruppia

Dec 14, 2020
Italy
Is it something like this ? I put the video with the strange noise on zip file

When happened, i contacted EXT and then they took the ammo, did some changes and give it back in perfect condition. Free of charge. So it could be the solution. I love this ammo, especially with sprindex spring IMG_4073.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_3763.zip
    11.6 MB · Views: 224

Hamina

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
Mar 22, 2020
FIN
I have a feeling that my sound is a little different. In the video the video and sound makes it look like it that the sound comes before the shock is fully extended.

My other consideration is that the lock function in E-storia is quite different compared to for example Rockshox shock: It's not a static full lock at least in my shock. I bought the shock second hand so I can't be 100% if it's really as it should eventhough it was serviced.

FirstAscent

Apr 5, 2023
Portland
Is it something like this ? I put the video with the strange noise on zip file

When happened, i contacted EXT and then they took the ammo, did some changes and give it back in perfect condition. Free of charge. So it could be the solution. I love this ammo, especially with sprindex spring View attachment 112746
Thanks for the feedback and the video, that’s different than my sound, mine is definitely at full extension/top out. Good to hear they got you taken care of, I’d be 100% ok sending it back for them to fix it but to hear it’s normal doesn’t make me happy.

I have a feeling that my sound is a little different. In the video the video and sound makes it look like it that the sound comes before the shock is fully extended.

My other consideration is that the lock function in E-storia is quite different compared to for example Rockshox shock: It's not a static full lock at least in my shock. I bought the shock second hand so I can't be 100% if it's really as it should eventhough it was serviced.
I agree, his sound seemed before full extension. Here’s a link to how mine sounds, is this closer to what yours sounds like too?
E-Storia knock

MM5K

Jan 24, 2022
Bay Area
Hmm maybe the sound isn't translated properly through video, but I'd personally call that more of a dull light bump, rather than a knock/clunk. I was expecting something more like the sound of tapping a quarter on carbon.

That being said, mine doesn't make that sound: EXT E-Storia Sound

I only have half a turn of preload on my spring - Ideally with any coil, whether fork or shock, you only want the collar wound on enough to keep the spring from rattling. Could you possibly just have a bit of excess preload? I.e. what's the unladen spring length compared to the preloaded length? The differential should be no more than 2mm, but IMO, just a bit more than 0 is ideal for maximum sensitivity, while also minimizing any sort of top out knock.

Either way, I don't think this would be noticeable while riding, but what you will notice is how amazing it rides. I've had several X2's and DHX2's over the past few years on a Stumpjumper, two different Enduros, and my current Kenevo SL, and the E-Storia is on a totally different level. I was truly blown away with mine - I've never felt the rear end of any bike track so well and feel so composed. It's the only coil shock I'll be buying from now on.

FirstAscent

Apr 5, 2023
Portland
Hmm maybe the sound isn't translated properly through video, but I'd personally call that more of a dull light bump, rather than a knock/clunk. I was expecting something more like the sound of tapping a quarter on carbon.

That being said, mine doesn't make that sound: EXT E-Storia Sound

I only have half a turn of preload on my spring - Ideally with any coil, whether fork or shock, you only want the collar wound on enough to keep the spring from rattling. Could you possibly just have a bit of excess preload? I.e. what's the unladen spring length compared to the preloaded length? The differential should be no more than 2mm, but IMO, just a bit more than 0 is ideal for maximum sensitivity, while also minimizing any sort of top out knock.

Either way, I don't think this would be noticeable while riding, but what you will notice is how amazing it rides. I've had several X2's and DHX2's over the past few years on a Stumpjumper, two different Enduros, and my current Kenevo SL, and the E-Storia is on a totally different level. I was truly blown away with mine - I've never felt the rear end of any bike track so well and feel so composed. It's the only coil shock I'll be buying from now on.
Good info and thanks for the vid of yours, definitely helps me gather data points.

When you set your preload, did you set it with shock installed on the bike while unloaded/full extension. That’s what the EXT manual/video recommends, I’ve never done it that way before.

But there’s definitely a difference whether you set preload with the shock off the bike or on the bike fully extended. With it fully extended you need about an extra turn to get it to the same point. Either way, I agree preload only need to be just slightly enough to stop the spring from rattling.

Definitely good to hear you love the shock though, I am excited to see how it feels on the trail. I’ll be able to test it this Saturday.

[edit] I just came across a great video that actually explains why the EXT preload is set differently with the negative spring. I always appreciate it when people explain why especially if it’s different from the norm :) it’s not from EXT directly but it’s helpful
This may be helpful for anyone else that might come across this.
Great EXT Preload vid

Last edited:

MM5K

Jan 24, 2022
Bay Area
When you set your preload, did you set it with shock installed on the bike while unloaded/full extension. That’s what the EXT manual/video recommends, I’ve never done it that way before.

Yup, this is how I’ve always done it for coil shocks. I’m not even really doing a specific number of turns from first contact, but rather, I’m turning the collar until I just barely start to feel the resistance ramp up, due to the spring starting to compress. In my case with this particular spring and shock, it ended up being a half turn.

FirstAscent

Apr 5, 2023
Portland
Yup, this is how I’ve always done it for coil shocks. I’m not even really doing a specific number of turns from first contact, but rather, I’m turning the collar until I just barely start to feel the resistance ramp up, due to the spring starting to compress. In my case with this particular spring and shock, it ended up being a half turn.
Cool thanks, yeah the correct spring needs the smallest preload :)

cozzy

Aug 11, 2019
Hampshire UK
My ext arma, ohlins ttx and cane creek kitsuma coils have all knocked or clunked when lifting the bike. Never noticed when riding.
The only coil that didn't do this was a super delux.

Hamina

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
Mar 22, 2020
FIN
Just checked and this was my error: I installed the shock when bike was hanging in the repairs stand but still there was room to tighten the preload. 🙈

FirstAscent

Apr 5, 2023
Portland
My ext arma, ohlins ttx and cane creek kitsuma coils have all knocked or clunked when lifting the bike. Never noticed when riding.
The only coil that didn't do this was a super delux.
Interesting, thanks for chiming in. More data 🤙
Just checked and this was my error: I installed the shock when bike was hanging in the repairs stand but still there was room to tighten the preload. 🙈
Oh man sweet! Glad it was an easy fix for you!!

MISTER HYDE

Oct 9, 2019
ITALY
Hey everyone,

wondering if anyone has had a similar issue, there is a knock/clunk in the shock at full extension. For example, if I simply lift the frame or seat to allow full extension there is a clunk or knock sound, almost like the piston is having a harsh top out. It does it 100% of the time, whether I extend it fast or slow. It just gets louder if you go faster.

shock is new, literally installed it today. Hardware is new, bike is new. Everything is torqued and triple checked.

this is on a new ‘22 Turbo Levo with a new as well cascade link long shock kit. I installed a stock Fox shock and no noise so I know it’s not the link. I even reinstalled the EXT without a spring and it still makes the same noise at full extension.

I’ve probably reinstalled the EXT 7 different times today ruling everything else out I can think of.

of course it’s the weekend so I can’t call Cascade or EXT, but hoping someone here maybe has a solution :)

so much for a “custom” shock… :(

I agree with you, unfortunately this noise at the end of the extension stroke seems to be a native characteristic of the E-Storia shock and cannot be solved. I installed the E-Storia on a Turbo Levo.

I find it quite annoying too and it shouldn't be on a shock absorber that wants to be at the top quality.

I'm also thinking of getting an Ohlins or something else.

leftside

Mar 26, 2020
Vancouver
I've been riding the E-Storia for 1 year on my Rocky and the Push 11.6 for 3 years on my Decoy. The E-Storia is going in for it's second service next week. The Push has gone in for one service - I also took advantage of upgrading it to the latest ebike version. I much prefer the Push. More reliable and more responsive down gnarly trails.

FirstAscent

Apr 5, 2023
Portland
I agree with you, unfortunately this noise at the end of the extension stroke seems to be a native characteristic of the E-Storia shock and cannot be solved. I installed the E-Storia on a Turbo Levo.

I find it quite annoying too and it shouldn't be on a shock absorber that wants to be at the top quality.

I'm also thinking of getting an Ohlins or something else.
Yeah if you’re gonna charge top dollar prices that’s fine but it better be up there with the rest. And I don’t just mean ride quality. Fit, finish, little details like a knock should all be in good order.
I've been riding the E-Storia for 1 year on my Rocky and the Push 11.6 for 3 years on my Decoy. The E-Storia is going in for it's second service next week. The Push has gone in for one service - I also took advantage of upgrading it to the latest ebike version. I much prefer the Push. More reliable and more responsive down gnarly trails.
Good to know, I’ll keep that in mind.
I have a push 11.6 on my Evil Wreckoning and their fork coil conversion on the same bike as well, it’s probably due for a service as it’s been a couple/few years but it’s going just as strong as day 1, very happy with my Push as well! I honestly haven’t had a single issue.
They were one of the first shocks I looked at but they don’t and won’t make one for the long shock kit on the Levo.

Hamina

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
Mar 22, 2020
FIN
Interesting, thanks for chiming in. More data 🤙

Oh man sweet! Glad it was an easy fix for you!!
After setting the preload as it should have been in the first place I think I have now the same "clonk" as you have.

Jukka4130

Jun 27, 2021
Finland

But there’s definitely a difference whether you set preload with the shock off the bike or on the bike fully extended. With it fully extended you need about an extra turn to get it to the same point. Either way, I agree preload only need to be just slightly enough to stop the spring from rattling.

When purchasing a top-of-the-line shock, it's worth checking the manual at least once. The preload setting procedure is described in quite good detail there. Lifting the rear end of the bike compresses the internal negative spring after which the preload is set, two full turns maximum after the spring plates come in contact with the spring. The less preload, the better, usually.

The sound is odd though, especially if it's not remedied after setting the spring preload the way it's instructed. Hopefully, a solution is found.

FirstAscent

Apr 5, 2023
Portland
When purchasing a top-of-the-line shock, it's worth checking the manual at least once. The preload setting procedure is described in quite good detail there. Lifting the rear end of the bike compresses the internal negative spring after which the preload is set, two full turns maximum after the spring plates come in contact with the spring. The less preload, the better, usually.

The sound is odd though, especially if it's not remedied after setting the spring preload the way it's instructed. Hopefully, a solution is found.
agreed, but to be fair I was told both by EXT reps that:
1. I shouldn't need to touch it after receiving it, just install
2. I shouldn't have to set sag at full extension

so that's only caused even more questions :)

But yes, the less preload the better. too much preload = wrong spring

it's not looking promising for a "solution", EXT is only telling me it's 'normal' and expected on a 'newer' shock.

Jukka4130

Jun 27, 2021
Finland
I stand corrected then. Based on that description, the sales person in question did not perform his duties in the best possible manner.

Once again, hopefully, a solution is found.

leftside

Mar 26, 2020
Vancouver
Hey folks - I took the EXT shock into Suspension Werx here in Vancouver today. The shock only has 200km on it since it was last serviced. They told me that there are known problems with this shock and they are going to do the recommended updates for me at no cost as my previous service was such a short time ago. They said they only found out fairly recently about the problems. Something about the shock not being able to keep its pressure. I'll get more details when I pick it up next week.

Hopefully now it will be more like the Push. If you're having problems with the EXT it might be worth chatting with the place you got it from.

PS - the new S Series Push ebike specific 11.6 is amazing. R Series owners (such as myself) can upgrade (as I did).

FirstAscent

Apr 5, 2023
Portland
Hey folks - I took the EXT shock into Suspension Werx here in Vancouver today. The shock only has 200km on it since it was last serviced. They told me that there are known problems with this shock and they are going to do the recommended updates for me at no cost as my previous service was such a short time ago. They said they only found out fairly recently about the problems. Something about the shock not being able to keep its pressure. I'll get more details when I pick it up next week.

Hopefully now it will be more like the Push. If you're having problems with the EXT it might be worth chatting with the place you got it from.

PS - the new S Series Push ebike specific 11.6 is amazing. R Series owners (such as myself) can upgrade (as I did).
Good info, I’m curious what these “issues” are and how new the info is.
Mine shipped from EXT just a couple weeks ago so I wonder if mine already has whatever this fix is you mentioned. Post up more info when you have it, always good to have more info :)

I have NOT ridden mine yet so aside from this knock issue I don’t have any ride experience. I just finished my full build though last night so I’ll get it out this weekend to put it through some proper use. The trails I’m going to will have a good mix of flow, jumps, and chunky sections so it’ll be a good test 🤙

leftside

Mar 26, 2020
Vancouver
No knocking issues for me, but has no life to it, and made a “hiss” like noise on compression. When the bike went in for a service, they told me the shock needed looking at asap.

Mcharza

E*POWAH BOSS
Aug 10, 2018
Helsinki, Finland
Rode yesterday and today and now I also have the Clunck, fuuuuuuuuuuk!

I can hear that sound when riding standing position over bigger rocks and roots. When the shock returns to its maximum length.
Shock is EXT e-Storia.

Mcharza

E*POWAH BOSS
Aug 10, 2018
Helsinki, Finland
Rode yesterday and today and now I also have the Clunck, fuuuuuuuuuuk!

I can hear that sound when riding standing position over bigger rocks and roots. When the shock returns to its maximum length.
Shock is EXT e-Storia.
My lucky day. After examining it more closely, the fault was not in the shock, but in the Oneup post. It had so much lateral movement that it rattled when riding standing position and the saddle down. It has now been fixed, Cheers!

FirstAscent

Apr 5, 2023
Portland
My lucky day. After examining it more closely, the fault was not in the shock, but in the Oneup post. It had so much lateral movement that it rattled when riding standing position and the saddle down. It has now been fixed, Cheers!
Sweet, glad that worked out easily for ya haha! Thanks for updating

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles