EP8 tries to boot and shuts off...PLEASE HELP!!!

SquidMTB

Aug 23, 2023
Alabama
I have a Commencal Meta Power SX race (2021) with the EP8 system.
I took it into my local shop for them to swap a new wheelset and headset while I was going to be out of town for a week. I get back and they tell me my bike started having an issue. No matter if you try using the power button or the button on the battery itself through the frame, the screen will light up and try to boot but immediately shuts back off. The initial "diagnostic" they got with their shimano tool pointed to a faulty power switch so we have already tried replacing the power button and it didn't help at all... Has anyone had this issue before or know what might be going on?? They have been trying to figure this out going on almost 3 months now...... I am taking it to a different (and much better) mechanic in a couple of days. PLEASE HELP!

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
If the cable to the switch or display has been stretched it can exhibit this behaviour, or if the cable is stretched/uner tension or trapped anywhere it will also do this.

Quite often just making sure it's not tight will fix it, but sometimes you'll need to change the cables.

SquidMTB

Aug 23, 2023
Alabama
If the cable to the switch or display has been stretched it can exhibit this behaviour, or if the cable is stretched/uner tension or trapped anywhere it will also do this.

Quite often just making sure it's not tight will fix it, but sometimes you'll need to change the cables.
Thanks for the reply! I had them run through all the wiring a while back but I'm not too sure they did a thorough job. I will get them to take another look at that cable that runs from the display through the stem/headset for sure.

RustyIron

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
Jun 5, 2021
La Habra, California
Thanks for the reply! I had them run through all the wiring a while back but I'm not too sure they did a thorough job. I will get them to take another look at that cable that runs from the display through the stem/headset for sure.

If I understand correctly, they took apart your bike and now it doesn't work. It's entirely possible that it's coincidental--anything is possible. Even if it was mere coincidence, a respectable mechanic would fix the problem to avoid any questions regarding his competency. But he's had it for three months and hasn't fixed it. In fact, he tried to sell you extra parts that you didn't need. Perhaps this is a clue as to his level of competency, and might help guide you in your next decision.

Does he still want to charge you for the parts that he installed? It's up to you what you should do with that, but I'd be inclined to tell him to get bent. However, I wouldn't want him removing the parts he installed. After he screwed the bike up the the first time he worked on it, there's no telling what damage he might do if given another chance.

In replacing the parts you mentioned, the wannabe mechanic would have had to work very closely with wires and connectors. It's pretty easy for a hamfisted boob to screw things up. Now it's up to you. You should take everything apart and check EVERY connection. Disconnect it, douche the female parts with contact cleaner. Wipe the male parts with a rag drenched in contact cleaner. Check the integrity of the wires for abrasions and kinks. Check every connection on the motor. There aren't really that many parts and connections to check. But if you're not thorough, you're just being random and hoping for the best.

Anyway, that's where I would start.
Good luck.

SquidMTB

Aug 23, 2023
Alabama
If I understand correctly, they took apart your bike and now it doesn't work. It's entirely possible that it's coincidental--anything is possible. Even if it was mere coincidence, a respectable mechanic would fix the problem to avoid any questions regarding his competency. But he's had it for three months and hasn't fixed it. In fact, he tried to sell you extra parts that you didn't need. Perhaps this is a clue as to his level of competency, and might help guide you in your next decision.

Does he still want to charge you for the parts that he installed? It's up to you what you should do with that, but I'd be inclined to tell him to get bent. However, I wouldn't want him removing the parts he installed. After he screwed the bike up the the first time he worked on it, there's no telling what damage he might do if given another chance.

In replacing the parts you mentioned, the wannabe mechanic would have had to work very closely with wires and connectors. It's pretty easy for a hamfisted boob to screw things up. Now it's up to you. You should take everything apart and check EVERY connection. Disconnect it, douche the female parts with contact cleaner. Wipe the male parts with a rag drenched in contact cleaner. Check the integrity of the wires for abrasions and kinks. Check every connection on the motor. There aren't really that many parts and connections to check. But if you're not thorough, you're just being random and hoping for the best.

Anyway, that's where I would start.
Good luck.
The shop manager is a good guy don't get me wrong. He's trying his best to take care of me but I just don't think they have the knowledge or diligence. He felt terrible for what happened and said he was going to take care of everything for me and I wouldn't have to pay for anything. He even loaned me a spare demo/rental trek rail to ride in the meantime even though it's absolute garbage spec and totally beat to shit but hey it still has a motor... lol. The manager replied to me this evening and said he was bringing in another mech from one of their other stores to take a look at it "hopefully tomorrow". I told him that's great but if he can't figure out the issue by early next week I'm coming to get my bike and take it to another shop (which has undeniably the best mechanics in our area).

RustyIron

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
Jun 5, 2021
La Habra, California
The shop manager is a good guy don't get me wrong. He's trying his best to take care of me but I just don't think they have the knowledge or diligence. He felt terrible for what happened and said he was going to take care of everything for me and I wouldn't have to pay for anything.

Well it sounds like he's trying. Good luck tomorrow.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles