EP8: Heavy drag when OFF and at limiter

CaptAngry

Jun 21, 2023
Denver
So I’ve had my 2022 Canyon Spectral:ON with EP8 (800) for a few weeks now. Having a boatload of fun… but I have some questions for this with the EP8… I’ve heard that when assist is OFF that the bike should pedal like an analog bike (i.e. no resistance). I do not find this to be the case. When I set the level to OFF it feels like I’m fighting the motor big time. The same goes for when I hit the limiter (which also seems to kick in early in the ~19mph range). It is nearly impossible to pedal past that limiter unless I’m on a big hill. My wife’s Neo3 with the Bosch doesn’t seem to have this feeling to it.

Thoughts from other EP8 riders?

lockin

Dec 1, 2020
Wrocław
Unfortunately I have similar feeling like the bike is slowing down itself after limit was reach. That is why I switched region to US. That additional 7km/h makes a big difference. Can not compere to Bosh as I do have 3rd Shimano motor (e8000, ep8, ep8 RS)

TheRealPoMo

Apr 18, 2020
Queensland
Well firstly my EP8 gives a more "push-bike" feel than my Gen 2 Bosch did; if you understand what I mean.
Secondly, I don't think you are pushing the motor, but you are pushing an internal gear set, plus an extra 2kg for motor, plus same again or more for battery, plus same for heavy frame, plus probably a slow rolling, heavy carcassed front tyre...
...in comparison to a normal MTB I mean.

I felt the Bosch motor glazed over the divide more seamlessly but thats not necessarily a good thing.

Last edited:

Alexbn921

Sep 27, 2021
East Bay CA
It's just you mind messing with you.

You lost 600 watts that you now need to make up and it feels like a wall. In reality there is no drag from the motor because it completely disengages and isn't even conected to the pedals.

CaptAngry

Jun 21, 2023
Denver
I suppose I'll concede defeat... I just suck. I went out and pulled the chain off the crank and low and behold... no noticeable resistance at all. I tried with the system powered off and with it on but set to OFF.

I guess I was thinking that on my other analog bikes 1st gear is slow but nearly effortless (and one of those bikes runs 29x3 tires), and that pedaling a bike that only weighs ~20lbs more wouldn't be that much harder. But I suppose it is just the mental aspect of the whole deal.

Daev

E*POWAH Master
Jan 15, 2022
Cornwall
Funnily enough I had exactly the same symptoms on my Trek LT9.7 (bosch motor) last ride out last week after over 24 months + 800+ miles of it riding like an analogue when exceeding limit (17mph) or switching motor off. I have happily hit 30mph on dirt tracks. Never had a problem before - assumed I needed serious maintenance. At the end of my 18 mile ride ( somewhat panicked) I nipped in to see the mechanic at the hire centre where I was riding. He had no knowledge of the problem and, to be fair not a lot of knowledge of emtbs anyway.
While I was demonstrating the problem I switched it off and on and lo and behold it cleared!! - the old "have you tried switching it off and on again" trick!! 18 miles of worry!! - Anyway I'd previously put the neoprene pad in the battery compartment to cushion in from rattling and falling out, which I think is a Trek resolution.
I'm wondering if this lifts the battery slightly off the contacts and causes an issue of its own.
I know this probably won't help you a lot but just mentioning it as I think you do have a problem there and when the system isn't being driven it shouldn't be THAT difficult for you in unassisted mode.

Last edited:

nickOrex

Apr 26, 2022
Bournemouth UK
I think it’s just because you’re used to the assistance being there, that when it isn’t it feels like you’re dragging an anchor! I had the same feeling the first time I jumped back on my “normal” bike after a couple of weeks on the eeb. I actually had to stop after a few seconds to see if the tyres were flat or the brakes were binding as it felt so draggy! I think the term is “Ebike legs”.😂

CaptAngry

Jun 21, 2023
Denver
I went on a shorter 5 mile, 850' vert ride with some Amish-bike friends yesterday. I started off for the majority of the climb with the assist OFF. And you know what? Without starting on any assist it felt like a normal bike (albeit a bit on the heavy side). For the sake of the experiment I kept the assist OFF for the first 75% of the ride. It wasn't the worst thing in the world... but still way more fun once I turned it back to Trail mode for the final climb

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles