EP8 turning off mid-ride

Gus

Jan 2, 2021
emtSpike61
A few of our group have the latest 2021 Merida E160 with Shimano EP8 motor.
Great bikes.
But yesterday one friend’s bike had 4 bars of battery and turned off an hour into the ride.
Pressing the on/off button, it would then light up, but turn off again in a couple of seconds.
We thought maybe removing and replacing the battery would help.
So he tried to remove the battery with the allen key, and the mechanism was broken and he was unable to remove the battery!
Back in shop now waiting for a fix.
Does anyone have any ideas or experience on this?

Jschlueter

Dec 31, 2019
Bentonville, AR
Great bikes.
But yesterday one friend’s bike had 4 bars of battery and turned off an hour into the ride.
Pressing the on/off button, it would then light up, but turn off again in a couple of seconds.
So he tried to remove the battery with the allen key, and the mechanism was broken and he was unable to remove the battery!

I've seen similar issues on e8000 setups. It was a bad wiring harness. E020 code will appear sometimes.

flash

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Nov 24, 2018
Wamberal, NSW Australia
Great bikes.

Twice on my 2021 e-160. Cause was an incorrectly installed knock block had allowed the cable that goes into the headset to get caught and crushed. I'm definitely not a fan of running the motor cable through the head set. I'm handy with a soldering iron so it was a quick fix. Happened again when I worked out the stopper for the knock block was too low on the steerer. Fixed that and now it seems all OK.

I really wish that Shimano would get on the wireless bandwagon. There's no reason the switch and display need to be wired at all. It'd be more reliable and neater too.

Gordon

cheetahdog2261

Jun 8, 2023
Dayton NV
Great bikes.
My ep8 motor would turn it self off , I found a loose wire from the motor to the display at the motor being loose. I plug it back in with a little silcone sealant around it to hold it in ln place. After about 4 hours ( to let the silcone set ) I went for a 11 mile ride with no problems. Hope this helps.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles