Engine with most torque

AME

Mar 28, 2019
Europe
Hi yall.

As a newbee am a looking for the motor with most avalible torque at low cadence.

I have a family member who wants to get on a bike but with some challenges their cadence is slow.

I have a Trek Rail 5 myself and this thing really is powerfull at low cadence in Turbo mode. I have only tried my bike today for 3-4 miles in the snow. Only other bike i have tested was with the E8000 and the Bosch gen 4 feels way more powerfull than the Shimano.

Thank you for your help!

Sidepod

Sep 2, 2020
Oxford
Tricky one to answer. As a Flyon owner I have never seen max torque registered in the data logger on the main display. It logs ride stats for analysis. Even playing with Extreme mode I’ve yet to see more than 90 Nm output from the motor.

I use mostly Low/Med average torque outputs are 65-70Nm. I average cadence 70-80rpm.

Perhaps you need to somehow work out how much torque you need at whatever cadence you can hold, then buy a motor/bike to suit.

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
I think power delivery is as important as overall figures, as from the sounds of it you are asking which system gives the best power delivery/assistance for someone who is peddling at a low cadence. IMO that would be Bosch.

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
If you want a bike that is easy to pedal for your family member there are other factors that play an equal role in determining that besides the support from the motor. A hard tail will be lighter and have more efficient pedalling than a full sus emtb; lighter construction and harder compound tyres will provide less rolling resistance and weight. The type of terrain ridden will also determine how easy it is..or not..to maintain momentum, and of course a good range of gears enables the amount of rider torque input required to be moderated.
All emtbs motors provide switchable power modes, some provide a user interface to be able to set the pedal assistance in each mode.

Im pretty sure any of the latest motors if combined with the parameters above would be OK and that gives you free choice of bike and the ability to meet the most important criterea of all.......bike fit.

MB1

Dec 28, 2019
Cumbria
I’ve had Yamaha and Bosch (gen 3)They are similar overall but each have their own character. The Yamaha was probably the most powerful and delivered high torque at low RPM, but the torque faded quickly as you spin up above 85 RPM. The Bosch is the opposite, good torque spread and strong even over 100 RPM. In basic modes, I preferred the Yamaha, but the Bosch EMTB mode is a game changer on the trail. Can’t speak for other motors.

Kernow

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
Cornwall uk
If you’ve already got a bosch get another the tools and commonality of parts is the same , if you buy another trek you could also borrow the second battery , or use it if it doesn’t get enough use . Plus your trek dealer will see you as a great customer and only one point of call at service time

Sidepod

Sep 2, 2020
Oxford
As an aside, I’ve never noticed a drop in torque/power with excessive cadence?

I know the TQ motor is optimised to spin at 3000 rpm at cadence 70-80rpm.

MB1

Dec 28, 2019
Cumbria
As an aside, I’ve never noticed a drop in torque/power with excessive cadence?

I know the TQ motor is optimised to spin at 3000 rpm at cadence 70-80rpm.
I had the PX and it dropped rapidly over 80, but had massive shove at low cadence. I think they addressed it on the later design.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles