Most reliable EMTB's?

shep

Nov 4, 2023
In a field
Bosch is reliable. Engineering from the Stuttgart area is usually reliable. That said, I just switched to Shimano 🤷

Regarding bikes, the most reliable thing to do is to buy a brand that is supported by one of your local bike shops.
Japs eye toucher......🤣

I prefer the Germans for sausage.....😳😁

mtnbikerva1

Mar 19, 2022
Mid-Atlantic
Hmm, ok, if you think that. I know that is not true. Capitalism and human greed is really why bikes cost so much. I know "why" Capitalist executives charge so much for bikes and yet can sell a motorcycle for the same price. That's not what I'm getting at. I was getting at the point that EMTB's and all bikes in general are an absolute rip off. And if they ARE going to rip us off, then they should make a quality product that lasts and has few to no problems. That's all I was getting at.

But I'm not here to get in a discussion about human greed or why capitalism is evil or argue with you or anyone. I just came here to talk about bikes :)
So you’re the one to bring capitalism into the conversation… and then say you just want to talk bikes, and lecture on how bad capitalism is! You don’t want to have a two way/conversation.
Maybe you should give up your citizenship and move to Somali/ North Korea/ Russia, Gaza, Iran, Africa, etc.

I'm from the US and you are from the US. And it's tough getting a clear picture of what's available here versus what the Euro riders get to choose from. I believe our options are more limited.

If I were you, I'd want to get a clear picture of how reliable each motor drive system is, in both the short and long terms of ownership. Opinions can be safely formed if you read up various e-bike web sites such as this one or Electric Bike Review's forum (based in the US) or the German Pedelec forum. When you do this, you will find which motor drive system(s) to stay away from. I believe the SC drive system is one of those stay-clear of for long term life and enjoyment. The forums filled with complaint after complaint of complete failures for one particular drive system are living proof.

I've found throughout the years following the MTBR ebikes forum & Electric Bike Review forums shows a real disconnect between the bike owner and the mfr after the sale is complete when it comes to warranty response. So, it pays to be conversant on how to and who to go for in order to have your motor serviced. That Bearing Man in the UK does have a US satellite operation he works with to service many of the different motors......

I'm partial to the Haibike brand. Why? Last week, I just turned over 19 thousand miles (not kilometers). Placed in service back in April 2017. Not one failure of the motor, display, control switch or battery(s). Not one failure. And I do basically the same type of riding you do, OP. Haibike Full FatSix. Yamaha PW drive.

Haibike has done left our US market and that's a shame cause they make a great bike as long as you stayed away from their carbon framed offerings (never offered here). And, H-bike did make XXL frames and I found my FFS small frame to be larger than my medium sized Specialized Fatboy.

I'd not hesitate, after armed with the information to check for battery life as well as a good visual inspection and test ride....... of buying a used Haibike mtb with a Yamaha mid drive system, for sale anywhere on Craigslist, Facebook Marketplace or Ebay.

Good luck with your search.

boomy96

Jun 3, 2023
Australia
I'm 6"5 and ride a XL Trek Rail. Fits me perfectly. I do DH and enduro and never had an issue. Focus are also super strong. Plenty of them at the bike parks doing the Pro lines.

E-MAD MALC

Subscriber
Nov 16, 2021
EAST SUSSEX
All bikes are brilliant when you first buy them otherwise you wouldn't have bought them
Ah! but soon as they go wrong there the worst thing on the planet especially if posted on bike forums
The true is unreliability is minuscule in regards to any of these motors, it's just the thought after reading the bad posts that it's stuck in your mine and every time you like a bike and see a certain motor in it your put off.
I have Brose and Bosch powered bikes and no issues with them in three years
I suppose then it's, pays your money and take a chance at this rate

Chunky

Subscriber
Dec 26, 2019
South England
I think you need your head in a place where you are going to spend more after the bike arrives. I'm on my third Emtb in two years. Motor and reliability did it for me in the end. Knowing I was going to change stock things on the bike to get the ride I wanted. Stem, bars, display, wheels, groupset etc etc etc. No-one has a perfect bike for everyone. After all we are all different. Our approach to want we want differs even down to saddles.
Whatever bike you find online could be shipped to you. Someone out there will ship, just be prepared to pay for it.
One thing which I did like was a removable battery. Or a battery easily removable. Makes the weight slightly less on the bike rack.
Good luck with your search.

Bontee

Dec 6, 2020
warwickshire
Hmm, ok, if you think that. I know that is not true. Capitalism and human greed is really why bikes cost so much. I know "why" Capitalist executives charge so much for bikes and yet can sell a motorcycle for the same price. That's not what I'm getting at. I was getting at the point that EMTB's and all bikes in general are an absolute rip off. And if they ARE going to rip us off, then they should make a quality product that lasts and has few to no problems. That's all I was getting at.

But I'm not here to get in a discussion about human greed or why capitalism is evil or argue with you or anyone. I just came here to talk about bikes :)
Sorry,but it is absolutely true.If you think capitalism is so evil go live in china.I would respectfully suggest that if you came here to talk about bikes don’t make political statements regarding capitalism

Nomad1

Apr 2, 2023
My advice is to find someone who has done long term testing on most of the motor brands and isn't sponsored by any of them and see what they have to say. By a bike with a lifetime frame weather it's carbon or not! For the most part if they won't guarantee the frame that's a red flag.

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
The most reliable EMTB:-
1. Preferably not a new release unless you want to be the early adopter guinea pig!
2. Any brand of bike ridden within its quoted ride classification
3. Any brand of bike well maintained
4. Any brand of bike equipped with orginal components or upgrades/replacements installed with a full knowledge of their suitability for the bike

Best chance of a good experience with an EMTB .

1. Access to LBS support
2. Clean the bike appropriately
3. Avoid pedal strikes
4. Keep messing with blutooth/wifi access to a minimum.

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
Well, I think I was the test-monkey when I ordered the 2020 Rail 9.7 from my LBS and it arrived in late 2019. They probably didn’t expect me to rack up the mileage.…surprise!
So far so good 😊.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles