Subjective I know but.... Whats the most reliable Ebike motor

Neeko DeVinchi

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Dec 31, 2020
UK
Meanwhile Bosch (and others) release an 85Nm upgrade rather than a downgrade

Neither the battery nor the motor casing seems excessively hot on my Gen4 even after a thrash on turbo. Admittedly, I'm not probing temps internally though
It wouldn't. If I'm not mistaken, their is a temperature sensor in the motor (or in the battery or both), to ensure that it doesn't exceed a certain temperature.
There's a thread about this topic I'm sure.

Planemo

E*POWAH Elite
Mar 12, 2021
Essex UK
It wouldn't. If I'm not mistaken, their is a temperature sensor in the motor (or in the battery or both), to ensure that it doesn't exceed a certain temperature.
There's a thread about this topic I'm sure.

Oh without a doubt. But I am virtually certain that the maximum temp isn't being hit, at least not in the UK :LOL:

I think very few failures are due to excessive heat. I guess we'll just agree to disagree on it (y)

Jaspy

Jun 9, 2021
Bea Sea Canada
On the very first ride on my brand spanking new Yamaha Moro Pro, I totally forgot it wasn’t a motorcycle and got totally carried away. Bike started to jerk and stop n start. Looking down I saw the chain acted like a mud scoop dumping mud n small rocks throughout the entire drive system. It was locked solid with mud . It was an absolute blast until then, I felt like Super Man !
When you really think about it there’s not much clearance from the chain to the ground. All the dust n dirt n water all get sucked along directly into the motor sprocket and seals. 😳 Perhaps everything would last longer if the drive system was more dirt bike style than roadie.
Just a thought, it’s not a matter of “if” there’s going to be a problem but rather when and where ?
55F2AFED-6923-4575-854D-1F50C23976BF.jpeg

Last edited:

lightning

Apr 5, 2021
UK
My only concern with water splashes and wet weather riding is the crank bearings

Are these protected against water, with any kind of secondary water seal, or are they just bearings? Water eventually trashed the pivot bearings on my Mondraker, but they were easy to change.

Bearing Man

Ebike Motor Centre
Patreon
Sep 29, 2018
UK
My only concern with water splashes and wet weather riding is the crank bearings

Are these protected against water, with any kind of secondary water seal, or are they just bearings? Water eventually trashed the pivot bearings on my Mondraker, but they were easy to change.
Depends on the motor, most just rely on the bearing and no motor is waterproof.

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
I could worry this to-death. I’m at the mercy of my motor seals but those concerns seem to go out the window when I see a puddle. Gen4 CX from 2019…so far so good. I’m lucky so far but I know the day will come.

Alexbn921

Sep 27, 2021
East Bay CA
On the very first ride on my brand spanking new Yamaha Moro Pro, I totally forgot it wasn’t a motorcycle and got totally carried away. Bike started to jerk and stop n start. Looking down I saw the chain acted like a mud scoop dumping mud n small rocks throughout the entire drive system. It was locked solid with mud . It was an absolute blast until then, I felt like Super Man !
When you really think about it there’s not much clearance from the chain to the ground. All the dust n dirt n water all get sucked along directly into the motor sprocket and seals. 😳 Perhaps everything would last longer if the drive system was more dirt bike style than roadie.
Just a thought, it’s not a matter of “if” there’s going to be a problem but rather when and where ?
Damn you are destroying the trail. Screw the bike.

Neeko DeVinchi

Dec 31, 2020
UK
I could worry this to-death. I’m at the mercy of my motor seals but those concerns seem to go out the window when I see a puddle. Gen4 CX from 2019…so far so good. I’m lucky so far but I know the day will come.
I wouldn't worry.
Just ride the bike as you would ordinarily.
It's quite easy for someone to 'put the fear of God' when using/maintaining an ebike. But 9/10, it simply falls down to having commonsense (clean the bike after a muddy ride, check for wear/tear, dont leave a problem to further develop etc).

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
I wouldn't worry.
Just ride the bike as you would ordinarily..…it simply falls down to having commonsense
That common sense stuff seems to be intermittent with me. 😉.
But I’m not as fearless as @Jaspy when it comes to the trail or the shop. I’m not ready to split open my motor yet, unless @Bearing Man is close by.

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
View attachment 81730
faced with that trail which will obviously be softer in the middle I would be riding the edge where the ground will be firmer.........or if there was no choice I would use more open tread tyres that clear rather than pick up and clog.

lightning

Apr 5, 2021
UK
Well, another soaking wet twenty mile Peak District ride tonight with at least one path that had a river running down it, many muddy trail puddles, one full on river crossing (below motor height though) and a fair amount of finest quality mud.

Bike washed with a hose pipe and bike cleaner spray on return home, probably for the 50th time since l bought it.

Let's hope these Shimano crank bearings and motor housing seals hold up!

2,650 miles so far and all's still good. Doubt l would get a motor replacement under warranty as it's set to USA specification so a failure will cost me around U.K.£800 😬

What an absolute blast this bike is though, l
will be out again on it tomorrow unless it's actually raining (light drizzle won't stop me, it has to be proper rain)

Last edited:

irie

Subscriber
May 2, 2022
Chichester, W.Sussex, UK
... Personally, I do believe you should buy a bike with your heart, not your head ...
My heart says that it doesn't want that sick feeling in the stomach you get when something shits itself through no fault of your own. It's that same feeling you get when someone has ripped you off. So yes, I do buy with my heart ...

Edit: your own

Last edited:

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles