eMTB versus the Rest

Dawnrazor

Patreon
Jun 11, 2018
Somerset
There are a few posts about distance, battery life etc so I thought would post my stats from a 'Ride It' event on the Cotswolds this past weekend so you can compare. First off I am a 'large' rider - 6'5" and 118kg. My backpack was about 5kg which included a spare battery. I was riding a KTM Lycan 274 (Bosch Performance CX with 500w PowerTube). Maxxis DH 2 ply tyres front and back at 40psi. Upgrades to the bike were Hope Evo discs and calipers.

The course was 36 miles but I did 38 as I ended doing a bit of a detour. 4,200ft of climbing. My time was 3 hours 12 minutes giving me an avergae speed of 11.87mph.

The route took in some serious climbs which I rode all except one which was not due to the bike's capability but rather my own lack of fitness. Usually I can get between 20 -27 miles out of a battery for serious off-road routes. The first battery died at 22 miles exactly. The second half of the course had less elevation and I returned to the finish with 40-60% battery on my spare.

There were a few other eMTBs there on the day and most put in similar times but the majority of clockwork riders were 40mins to 2hours over that (understandably). It wasn't just the climbs where I noticed the ebike outperforming, it was also the grassy sections and the bumpy farm tracks. It would be interesting to see what a fit ebiker could do.

There was a lot of interest in my bike when I finished and a lot of guys were talking about the move across to electric. The one stumbling block seemed to be price. Most wanted an equivalent spec to what they already had but adding the 'electric' meant another £1000. All in all, a great day out on the bike.
CWMTB18-3.jpg

SteveVentoux

Patreon
May 13, 2018
Bucks
Thanks for the write up, being of similar proportions to yourself, thinking I may need to get a spare battery myself for all-dayers.

Dawnrazor

Patreon
Jun 11, 2018
Somerset
Thanks for the write up, being of similar proportions to yourself, thinking I may need to get a spare battery myself for all-dayers.
Thanks mate - It is a pain carrying a spare battery but I find the ride more enjoyable as you are not worrying about conserving power!

OldBean

E*POWAH Elite
Patreon
Apr 28, 2018
East anglia
you should get paid for this write up - I cant wait to buy and ride my first one - looking for a Jam2 ---
well done on the Jam purchase .(thinking ahead here)..I get 35+ miles on our flatish Suffolk trails using mostly Eco and off.. I have done more riding in the couple of months of Jam ownership than the last year on the iron steam bike.
Have fun

Lazy Biker 84

Jun 15, 2018
Shropshire
Thanks Mate - The Jam is a nice looking machine, and being able to add the extra battery on the frame is cool.

The Jam2 is a great looking bike, they've kept the weight down a bit by using a smaller built in battery, so remember, compared to the likes of a Levo/Kenevo, you'll be 150WHs down, but that bolt on battery really does ramp up the WHs, over 700WHs I seem to remember seeing.

If ive got my figures wrong, please feel free to correct me. :)

OldBean

E*POWAH Elite
Patreon
Apr 28, 2018
East anglia
I have discovered a possible problem with the JAM....the battery is not easy to remove and then MAY need a different charger to charge off the bike.
this could be a problem during a planned French tour ....Veol in ze chambre non monsieur?1
Still waiting confirmation of the situation. Jam in Parched garden 2018.JPG

Jul 7, 2020
Wales
methinks I need a second battery also. 6'4" and 100kgs roughly. managed 22miles on and off road in tour and emtb modes with a bar or two of battery left- but I wouldnt want to push my luck too far beyond that...

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles