eMTB Motors - Feeling Between The Options?

brw0513

May 18, 2019
Brisbane, Australia
To get a taste of the eMTB world, I hired a Specialized Turbo Levo for two days. The bike was only used for commuting, 50km round trip each day and around 500m total elevation gain per day. What a blast! I loved the upright riding position and felt half my age. Biological age = 52; eMTB age = 26 :)

The Brose motor is seriously impressive. It was the best thing about the bike. On Day 2, I started to get a feel for the combination of gear choice and pedaling cadence where the hills almost came for free. Great stuff and still a good workout. Day 2 was all in Eco mode and I didn't ever feel the need for higher assistance levels during the commute. It made me realise I really do want to go exploring the flowing trails that are close enough to home.

But I am finding it hard to justify the A$7600 purchase price, especially given that the components on the Levo seem to be at the entry level of the scale. I do want to buy new for the piece of mind that warranty offers.

I am very committed to buy my first eMTB, but feel the need to try other makes that use the different motors from Shimano, Bosch and Yamaha if only to confirm the Brose is the best match with me. The problem will be finding dealers with demo bikes.

I'd be interested to hear from others who can describe how these different motors feel compared to the Brose. Please share if you can.

Thanks.

maynard

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Before i purchased my levo I took a rail for a test ride and I far preferred the levo . The rail felt heavy and noisy. Although the rail looked awesome. And I never took the rail of road. I demo,d two levos a M and an L .. ended up getting a second hand levo . Love it and am very happy. I saved 3000 of purchase price plus 500 in upgrades. The bike I purchased had only done 30kms in 9 months.

MrBrownstone

May 2, 2020
Maine
I demo’d (put 12 hours of off-road riding on it) a Levo Carbon expert, a giant trance with Yamaha motor, a 2020 Cannondale Moterra 2 with Bosch gen 4, and a BMC speedfox amp 3 with Shimano E8000.

The BMC won hands down for me In Every way between the handling of the bike and the Shimano motor. The Shimano, for me gives the most intuitive power output and is the most manageable in all 3 power modes. Over 2000 miles of hard techy riding in under 6 months and the Shimano motor/battery haven’t skipped a beat despite being ridden in slushy snow, rain and mud all winter.

8E7AB5B8-6374-40E9-B587-38086B714182.jpeg

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
I demo’d (put 12 hours of off-road riding on it) a Levo Carbon expert, a giant trance with Yamaha motor, a 2020 Cannondale Moterra 2 with Bosch gen 4, and a BMC speedfox amp 3 with Shimano E8000.

The BMC won hands down for me In Every way between the handling of the bike and the Shimano motor. The Shimano, for me gives the most intuitive power output and is the most manageable in all 3 power modes. Over 2000 miles of hard techy riding in under 6 months and the Shimano motor/battery haven’t skipped a beat despite being ridden in slushy snow, rain and mud all winter.

View attachment 33360
They do look well ! They also space their lettering correctly .. Whenever I see a Norco, it always looks to me like it says NOB CO ... but then maybe that's just me...

MrBrownstone

May 2, 2020
Maine
They do look well ! They also space their lettering correctly .. Whenever I see a Norco, it always looks to me like it says NOB CO ... but then maybe that's just me...

best part about the BMC compared to others I rode (not to pick on Levo, but Levo felt like a wet noodle laterally in the rear end) is how stiff and stout the rear end is laterally. So good and pedals amazing.

maynard

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
What's

View attachment 33360
What's the length and weight of the bmc compared to a levo ? They are massively long bikes . Not exactly nimble .

urastus

⚡The Whippet⚡
May 4, 2020
Tasmania
best part about the BMC compared to others I rode (not to pick on Levo, but Levo felt like a wet noodle laterally in the rear end) is how stiff and stout the rear end is laterally. So good and pedals amazing.
I'm not surprised - many manufacturers, for some bizarre reason, keep going with less spokes on an ebike! Let me guess...28 spokes?

Rusty

E*POWAH BOSS
Jul 17, 2019
New Zealand
Based on the 2019 models I agree with @MrBrownstone - the Shimano is the most natural feeling (especially for a new eMTB rider). Doesn't come on too hard right off and has little or no over-run when you stop peddling.
Saying that, I love the G4 Bosch even if it does have a little over-run.

MrBrownstone

May 2, 2020
Maine
What's

What's the length and weight of the bmc compared to a levo ? They are massively long bikes . Not exactly nimble .

I have no idea what my BMC weighs nor do I recall the length but all I know is how it rides compared to others I’ve ridden. Riding a bike tells the true tale....

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles