EMTB CHEAPEST Electric Mountain Bike

Rick53

Feb 12, 2020
Muskegon, MI, USA
Hey guys .I watched a Video from Rob titled
CHEAPEST Electric Mountain Bike

Located on Lake Michigan , USA . Currently own a vado. 65 years old . Have 50 years of Dirt Biking , 3 Wheelers etc. I'm looking for a decent bike . I'll probably be riding mainly Fire roads and 2 Tracks . Climbing some Hills etc. I've done all the core stuff . I was riding what was called BMX Bikes in the trails long before Biking even became popular for most over 17 :)

I need to mention the majority of my Riding Buds are 30 years younger and into Cross Country Stuff . I need something to keep up . Yet also use alone. My Vado actually fits the Bill for teh majority of rides . I can stay in ECO mode and get 6o miles or more out of the battery . Problem is going off road . Especially in loose stuff . It's awkward and not that stable

Which Bike Manufacturers would fill the Bike Rob Spoke of in that Video I think it was called Decathlon Stylis . Is there a USA Equivalent ?

There's no LBS that I know of That stocks EMTB's throughout Whole State /

Are there decent Bikes I can get shipped to me ? Wisconsin , Indiana , and OHIO are all close enough, I'd be willing to travel if I had to . Provided I'm not going to look at 1 bike . I can order of Specialized Levo or a Trek locally and wait . But are these even available.

Last edited:

CRFan1

Dec 2, 2020
NW Indiana
Yes, the Luna Cycle X1 Enduro. 3500 dollars (4K with some options) and its a great bike. Love mine and the Bafang M600 is an excellent and very powerful motor! Although you will have to wait a bit to get one unless you want a small. The frame is made by the same company that Rob did his build on. 650wh battery.

I am in Northwest Indiana and not sure where you are but if it's not too far you can check it out. Some good You tube vids and an X1 riders FB page. The owners all help each other out.

Last edited:

Mabman

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Feb 28, 2018
Oregon USA
Is that bike legal anywhere?

For off road use only, wink wink nod nod. Luckily it's a mtb.

The Luna cult has been purveying high watt "ludicrous" power for a long time. Some get it, most don't because quite frankly there is such a thing as too much power when riding single track especially with any anticipation of range.

Last edited:

CRFan1

Dec 2, 2020
NW Indiana
Yep...I ride mine everywhere and have no issues.....its a mountain bike and that's how I ride it. Here in the U.S. regulations are generally not known or enforced. I got the ludicrous option and in hindsight its not needed. That motor has plenty of power and if it ever blows up I will just replace it with the regular version ($650). That being said, I ride it mostly in PAS 1 and 2 and it does great. It's really a fantastic bike.

Dec 20, 2020
USA
yamaha ydx moro, got mine for $3900 new at the yamaha motorcycle/bike dealership. easy to find and yamaha quality/durability.

on the luna x1 facebook page and forum it seems there is enough issues with the bike i would stay away from it and there are many reports of only 20 mile range which sucks.

CRFan1

Dec 2, 2020
NW Indiana
yamaha ydx moro, got mine for $3900 new at the yamaha motorcycle/bike dealership. easy to find and yamaha quality/durability.

on the luna x1 facebook page and forum it seems there is enough issues with the bike i would stay away from it and there are many reports of only 20 mile range which sucks.
Sorry but that's BS. It's a Chinese assembled bike so yes, it may need some sorting when you get it or it may not. All bikes have issues and if you take the time to set it up and go over the bike when you get it, it will treat you right. I have rode mine very hard and it has not missed a beat. 20 mile range? Sure if that's all off road and a lot of climbing but you know that varies a lot. I did 15 miles of hard trail riding today in 20 degrees F temps and after 15 miles I was at 55 percent. On paved trail I can do 40 easy and I am 240 lbs geared up. What kind of mileage are you getting with a 500wh battery on that Moro? I will venture to say not anything better. Its a great bike for the money and will kick the crap out of that Moro in a climbing contest!

Dec 20, 2020
USA
Sorry but that's BS. It's a Chinese assembled bike so yes, it may need some sorting when you get it or it may not. All bikes have issues and if you take the time to set it up and go over the bike when you get it, it will treat you right. I have rode mine very hard and it has not missed a beat. 20 mile range? Sure if that's all off road and a lot of climbing but you know that varies a lot. I did 15 miles of hard trail riding today in 20 degrees F temps and after 15 miles I was at 55 percent. On paved trail I can do 40 easy and I am 240 lbs geared up. What kind of mileage are you getting with a 500wh battery on that Moro? I will venture to say not anything better. Its a great bike for the money and will kick the crap out of that Moro in a climbing contest!

lol no need to get so emotional. go look at their forum, yes if you get a good one it is good but there are plenty of people with issues. enough issues where i took it off my list of bikes i was interested in. who knows what the long term durability of that bike will be, time will tell. glad yours works but that does not mean it is on the same level of quality of a japanese bike.

CRFan1

Dec 2, 2020
NW Indiana
lol no need to get so emotional. go look at their forum, yes if you get a good one it is good but there are plenty of people with issues. enough issues where i took it off my list of bikes i was interested in. who knows what the long term durability of that bike will be, time will tell. glad yours works but that does not mean it is on the same level of quality of a japanese bike.

I am on the X1 FB page and well aware. I help folks where I can and a lot of the members are very good about helping people figure stuff out. Most of the issues on that page revolve around set up issues as some owners don't know much about maintaining the bike...that is a must if you buy direct to consumer. For instance, I had a bearing in my rear hub go out at 200 miles. I ordered 4 new ones for 20 bucks and changed them all. No issues since. The motors seem to be rock solid overall. I honestly bought an X1 because there was nothing available at the time. Its a good bike for the money. If the Moro was available I would have certainly opted for one as I am a fan of Japanese quality for sure (I have been riding Japanese motorcycles for over 30 years). That being said, I have a Haibike Full FatSix 10.0 coming Tuesday and it has the Yamaha PWX-2 Powertrain. I am pretty stoked to get it but I wish it had a bigger batt then the 500wh. Hopefully I can get 20 miles on it. What kind of range are you getting on the Moro?

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles