EBike warranties, replacement services - is Specialized the only option?

RustyMojo

Oct 30, 2021
Gloucestershire
Thought I’d throw a new thread up, there are multiple threads around warranty, but I wanted to post to help me feel better about my current shit show. Also with a view of understanding others positions.

I’m now 15 months into eBike and Trek Rail ownership. However whilst I love the bike and the Bosch setup it’s been torturous when things went wrong. I’ve had various issues with the cheap crap parts Trek fit on these bikes, but let’s park that. After 3 months of eBike ownership my motor packed up with a 505 error…because I’d bought my bike from the only shop in the country with stock at the time none of my local Trek dealers wanted to touch it. I finally managed to get it into a Bosch centre (ironically also a Specialized dealer) who sorted the warranty repair. But the whole process took them 2 months due to motor shortages and Bosch antiquated and over engineered warranty process. We are now another 12 months and 700 miles down the road and my motor has packed up again. I’m now 2 weeks into a Trek dealer (who are outstanding by the way) trying to diagnose. Bosch are making them jump through hoops. But ultimately they have now been told to send a form into Bosch and return the motor for a replacement. Likely to be end of next week. So another 3 week wait for repair…if I’m lucky.

Now I’m not unreasonable, nor am I giving the shop a hard time. I understand it’s Bosch. But my buddies with Specialized seem to be able to drop their bike in the same day and have a new motor fitted under warranty….which seems reasonable given EBike motors/components by and large are modular and off the shelf.

I think as a result I’m going to sell
My rail once it’s back and buy a Levo. My problem here is Specialized bikes do nothing for me. I’m not overly fussed on the motor or how they ride, the brand lacks any real identity to me and I don’t like historically how the operate. But I can’t see another Manufacturer that offers anything like the dealer network and support….am I missing something or am I stuck with the big S if I want a ride in ride out support service?

For Info, this is UK based experience. I also don’t have the time and inclination to drive around the country trying to sort a bike out with a dealer 200 miles away.

Mteam

E*POWAH Elite
Aug 3, 2020
gone
because I’d bought my bike from the only shop in the country with stock at the time none of my local Trek dealers wanted to touch it

The trek warranty is a global warranty, in theory it shouldnt matter where you bought the bike. In practice my experience is that Treks shops (the official trek only shops) are awful for refusing to touch a bike that wasnt supplied by them, they'll come up with all sorts of excuses to avoid dealing with it, despite the trek warranty just saying take it to any trek dealer. Trek really need to get on top of this poor customer experience, in my experience there are some terrible bike shops about with no idea what good customer service looks like.

I've had a generally good experience with bosch when my orbea wild fs motor failed, I just took it to a local bosch dealer ( not the dealer I bought the bike from, and not an orbea dealer) and they sorted it out with bosch , and within a couple of weeks I was back riding again.

It does seem like specialized do manage to turn round motor replacements in a matter of hours/a day or two, which is great, where as bosch seem to take a week or two, shimano seem to take a month or two. All this is my perception based on stories on the internet and a bit of personal experience.

A friend has just had his bosch motor replaced outside of warranty for a nominal £100, and thats been done inside a week - this seems like good customer service to me from bosch.

PS _ I am also UK based.

Last edited:

RustyMojo

Oct 30, 2021
Gloucestershire
The trek warranty is a global warranty, in theory it shouldnt matter where you bought the bike. In practice my experience is that Treks shops (the official trek only shops) are awful for refusing to touch a bike that wasnt supplied by them, they'll come up with all sorts of excuses to avoid dealing with it, despite the trek warranty just saying take it to any trek dealer. Trek really need to get on top of this poor customer experience, in my experience there are some terrible bike shops about with no idea what good customer service looks like.

I've had a generally good experience with bosch when my orbea wild fs motor failed, I just took it to a local bosch dealer ( not the dealer I bought the bike from, and not an orbea dealer) and they sorted it out with bosch , and within a couple of weeks I was back riding again.

It does seem like specialized do manage to turn round motor replacements in a matter of hours/a day or two, which is great, where as bosch seem to take a week or two, shimano seem to take a month or two. All this is my perception based on stories on the internet and a bit of personal experience.

A friend has just had his bosch motor replaced outside of warranty for a nominal £100, and thats been done inside a week - this seems like good customer service to me from bosch.

PS _ I am also UK based.
Yeah I had raised the issue with Trek following my last experience. Hence I found a shop to help with future issues who are excellent. However both my issues on separate occasions are now pushing months to resolve. My personal view is it shouldn’t take this long. It’s clear there is a fault but the diagnostics process seems to make the dealer jump through loads of loop holes which take too long for them to get a decent response so a customer is left on the hook. Without a bike for weeks, appreciate this isn’t a Trek issue. But I’m time poor and also appreciate e-bikes (whilst still relatively new to market) are likely to have problems, I want to be in a position where I can drop it in and have it repaired within a week. It seems Specialized are the only OEM that offer anything like this service. Or am I wrong? I hope so!! I really wasn’t bothered enough by the Levo to want to own one. But if it’s the only brand that offers a pay and play style support. Well I’m not sure where else to turn! It’s a shame as I love the Bosch motor and I really like the Rail as a bike to ride. I certainly can’t imagine wanting to own one outside of the warranty window!

The Hodge

Mystic Meg
Subscriber
Sep 9, 2020
North West Northumberland
Nothing but praise for the Bosch warranty ..and got an answer within days ..the motor was sorted and fitted within a week ( other work took a while longer) ..oh did I mention that this was a full 6 weeks outside of warranty ..and my good friend with a similar problem was 3 months out of warranty ..and also had his motor changed
I guess you take things as you find them but like I said my experience has been first rate ..

Last edited:

RustyMojo

Oct 30, 2021
Gloucestershire
You’re paying for that Specialized service with the price of their over-priced bikes though.
Am I though?? To be honest, I don’t care about that now even if I was. I just want to ride my bike. If I have to pay for that then so be it.

By the way, I don’t want a Specialized. The question is “are there other options I’m missing?”

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
Find a good dealer, they will sell more than one brand and talk to them about what to expect with bikes sold by them. I have had zero problems with JE James and Rutland Cycling. Both UK dealers with several shops, especially James.

RustyMojo

Oct 30, 2021
Gloucestershire
I’ve got some good dealers, but the point is it’s not the dealer it’s the speed at which Bosch process a diagnostics and claim. It’s happened at both shops both times I’ve had a claim.

Mteam

E*POWAH Elite
Aug 3, 2020
gone
I’ve got some good dealers, but the point is it’s not the dealer it’s the speed at which Bosch process a diagnostics and claim. It’s happened at both shops both times I’ve had a claim.
I have to say my experience with Bosch is that they were pretty quick, same for a friend of mine with Bosch also.

I can't really complain about Bosch.

RustyMojo

Oct 30, 2021
Gloucestershire
I have to say my experience with Bosch is that they were pretty quick, same for a friend of mine with Bosch also.

I can't really complain about Bosch.
Yeah you said earlier on. But I obviously can…it’s a complete shit show from my regard. I’ve had enough, so I’ll buy something else.

To be honest the post isn’t about Bosch for me, it’s what other brands have similar support as Spesh.

jbrown15

May 27, 2020
Chilliwack, Canada
One of the reason's some one can drop off a Specialized bike and have it back so fast is because the motors fail so often the dealers all carry spare motors....lol
Specialized didn't bump up their warranty to 5 years on the motors just because they're good hearted, the motors where failing and tearing up belts. So if they didn't do something it would probably affect their sales.

At this point though I have to say all motors fail at some point. Some people can have a motor go at less than a 1000km's and some can go 5000km's or more without a single issue.

Mteam

E*POWAH Elite
Aug 3, 2020
gone
Yeah you said earlier on. But I obviously can…it’s a complete shit show from my regard. I’ve had enough, so I’ll buy something else.

To be honest the post isn’t about Bosch for me, it’s what other brands have similar support as Spesh.
I don't think there is anyone else that has as good customer service reputation as specialized.

The advantage specialized has is that it is responsible for the frame and the motor/battery, so they can control the customer support fully,unlike bikes that use Bosch or shimano.

KnollyBro

E*POWAH Elite
Dec 3, 2020
Vancouver
One of the reason's some one can drop off a Specialized bike and have it back so fast is because the motors fail so often the dealers all carry spare motors....lol
Specialized didn't bump up their warranty to 5 years on the motors just because they're good hearted, the motors where failing and tearing up belts. So if they didn't do something it would probably affect their sales.

At this point though I have to say all motors fail at some point. Some people can have a motor go at less than a 1000km's and some can go 5000km's or more without a single issue.
Haha... if that were only true. Tell me the location of this wonderous Canadian bike store that carries spare motors as both times I had to get a motor replaced, the claim had to go thru warranty at Specialized Canada and they had to send out a motor. Both times it took more than 4-6 weeks turn around. My Kenevo SL needs a new motor (the third one lasted around 150 kms). I look forward to your answer and will jump in the car tomorrow!
Also, can you post a link to where Specialized now has a 5 year warranty on their motors? Thanks!

jbrown15

May 27, 2020
Chilliwack, Canada
Haha... if that were only true. Tell me the location of this wonderous Canadian bike store that carries spare motors as both times I had to get a motor replaced, the claim had to go thru warranty at Specialized Canada and they had to send out a motor. Both times it took more than 4-6 weeks turn around. My Kenevo SL needs a new motor (the third one lasted around 150 kms). I look forward to your answer and will jump in the car tomorrow!
Also, can you post a link to where Specialized now has a 5 year warranty on their motors? Thanks!

I think LifeCycles in Abbotsford has spare motors last I heard. Sorry I was mistaken about the warranty, didn’t they extend it by 2 years? I would never buy I bike with a Brose motor so I’m not up to date on the latest with them…..lol

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
But my buddies with Specialized seem to be able to drop their bike in the same day and have a new motor fitted under warranty….which seems reasonable given EBike motors/components by and large are modular and off the shelf.

Doesn't sound like your Bosch experience has been a particularly good one :( , a few people seem to of had delays with swaps for whatever reasons whilst others seem to obtain them almost instantaneously.

As others have said, with Spesh, the motor situation came about more out of need. They sold a lot of bikes and in turn a lot of people had problems with motors. (One potential issue was traced to a firmware "power pulse", hence the motor extension for many bikes from 2 years to 4 years to compensate for this).

Initially, this meant long waiting times for motor replacements. Eventually, some dealers managed to obtain stocks of motors from Specialized. They had to pay for these, so an investment on their part, but were obviously reimbursed when warranty motors were sent back. I presume this is still the same.

Buying a Specialized won't guarantee that you'll receive good warranty service/fast motor swap outs. Both of those will depend entirely on the particular dealer. If you have a good one, who's also taken the extra step to invest in a stock of motors, then you should be in that position. Berkshire Cycles being probably the best known of "Excellent" dealers in the UK.

In theory, you can buy your Spesh anywhere and take it to any dealer due to the Global Warranty. My own experiences reflect the other end of the scale. I had motor/battery issues and took it to my local Spesh shop and they wouldn't even look at the bike because I'd bought it on-line and not from them.

It might be that some dealers selling Bosch Bikes have also managed to obtain a "local stock" of motors, or they just have better connections with the Bosch Service centres and can arrange a faster turn around.

irie

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
May 2, 2022
Chichester, W.Sussex, UK
My Kenevo SL needs a new motor (the third one lasted around 150 kms).
That's shocking!
thud.gif

BTW, hope Crash is recovering well?

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
Buying a Specialized won't guarantee that you'll receive good warranty service/fast motor swap outs. Both of those will depend entirely on the particular dealer.
This is the crux of it; I have friends with Gen1 Kenevos that have waited 6 weeks for replacement motors in the past.

@RustyMojo I assume you're using Raceco? They offer the best service local to you. My supplying dealer did my first Bosch motor swap in 5 weeks, the second in two and Raceco did the third in 4 days!
They've done a bit of warranty work on my KSL too, always same day including swapping a motor I didn't even realise was faulty...

RustyMojo

Oct 30, 2021
Gloucestershire
This is the crux of it; I have friends with Gen1 Kenevos that have waited 6 weeks for replacement motors in the past.

@RustyMojo I assume you're using Raceco? They offer the best service local to you. My supplying dealer did my first Bosch motor swap in 5 weeks, the second in two and Raceco did the third in 4 days!
They've done a bit of warranty work on my KSL too, always same day including swapping a motor I didn't even realise was faulty...
Yep, Rich at Raceco really helped me out as none of my local dealers at the time (until Trek got involved and pointed me to a very helpful independent) would help. Thing is I hadn’t not bought a bike from them to save money. I purchased the bike from the only shop who had stock! I’d tried the shops and no one had anything! Raceco helped as my friend buys a load of Specialized bikes from him and to be honest they are all up good guys. But even then it took months due to Bosch own warranty process and back log. I put this down to global demand and supply issues last time. But this time I’m afraid it seems like an overzealous warranty and diagnostics process. Raceco have my business moving forward (if I buy a Spesh) thanks to their fantastic service. They do a ride in and motor replacement service on Specialized bikes. Which would work for me….big problem is I don’t really like the actual bike particularly 😂 reality is I think I have one option or am looking for a unicorn on a stick. Either that or I’m gonna have to go back manual I’ve already cut my winter riding back as I’m petrified of water ingress issues after last time. I know it sounds mad, but my weekend time is precious now and I’m away lots with work during the week. I have neither the time nor motivation to be messing around with bike shops like the old days.

Monkey Dog

Jun 4, 2020
Derbyshire
Find a good dealer, they will sell more than one brand and talk to them about what to expect with bikes sold by them. I have had zero problems with JE James and Rutland Cycling. Both UK dealers with several shops, especially James.
JE James were exceptional when I took my Shimano powered Scott Genius.
The bikes well out of warranty, but they diagnosed the problem & didn't even charge me.

Durrti

Aug 22, 2021
California
Specialized has to have a great warranty, you are going to have motor failures. My 70 year old dad has had at least 2 fail. My group of 8 riders has gone through, not joking, 20+ motors. 8 of those are on 2022 gen3 Levos.

Aug 6, 2019
australia
I also have experienced motor failure (6 times)on my Kenevo Gen 2. The shop I purchased has provided good service but I waited many weeks for the new motors. Would I purchase a another Specialized, yes because of the warranty but not this motor type. I am waiting for something new. I am not in a rush, I love my ebikes (Specialized and Rocky Mountain powerplay 2021) , because I can ride to places I wouldn't go on a regular bike. cheers

BobR

Apr 14, 2021
Florida
I had very good response from Orbea when my crank arm shaft broke off… total down time was less than a month and maybe it was 3 weeks. That was with my LBS which was not where I purchased the bike as well. And warranty pets were shipping directly from Orbea in Spain to me in the US as a part of that time.

KnollyBro

E*POWAH Elite
Dec 3, 2020
Vancouver
Yep, Rich at Raceco really helped me out as none of my local dealers at the time (until Trek got involved and pointed me to a very helpful independent) would help. Thing is I hadn’t not bought a bike from them to save money. I purchased the bike from the only shop who had stock! I’d tried the shops and no one had anything! Raceco helped as my friend buys a load of Specialized bikes from him and to be honest they are all up good guys. But even then it took months due to Bosch own warranty process and back log. I put this down to global demand and supply issues last time. But this time I’m afraid it seems like an overzealous warranty and diagnostics process. Raceco have my business moving forward (if I buy a Spesh) thanks to their fantastic service. They do a ride in and motor replacement service on Specialized bikes. Which would work for me….big problem is I don’t really like the actual bike particularly 😂 reality is I think I have one option or am looking for a unicorn on a stick. Either that or I’m gonna have to go back manual I’ve already cut my winter riding back as I’m petrified of water ingress issues after last time. I know it sounds mad, but my weekend time is precious now and I’m away lots with work during the week. I have neither the time nor motivation to be messing around with bike shops like the old days.
Which Specialized bike bike are you referring to and why don't you like it particularly? I am not a fanboy and would prefer a frame only option as I tend to buy a base model and change most of the components any ways.

RustyMojo

Oct 30, 2021
Gloucestershire
Which Specialized bike bike are you referring to and why don't you like it particularly? I am not a fanboy and would prefer a frame only option as I tend to buy a base model and change most of the components any ways.
The Levo, several riding buddies have them (current and previous gen) they rode OK, but I wasn’t overly excited by it. I’ll give one another go at some point, but I prefer the feel of the Bosch motor and the way the Rail rides. That said the Levo wasn’t insulting or anything like that and is obviously a good bike. I just find them a bit…meh!

KnollyBro

E*POWAH Elite
Dec 3, 2020
Vancouver
The Levo, several riding buddies have them (current and previous gen) they rode OK, but I wasn’t overly excited by it. I’ll give one another go at some point, but I prefer the feel of the Bosch motor and the way the Rail rides. That said the Levo wasn’t insulting or anything like that and is obviously a good bike. I just find them a bit…meh!
I hear you. You have to like what you pay and arm and a leg for. I have only ridden Specialized emtbs (Kenevo, Levo SL and Kenevo SL) and I didn't like the Kenevo as it was so heavy and noticeably dull on the way down. I think my Levo SL has been the best to ride as it is feel most like an analog bike. Then again, we probably ride in quite different areas, with possibly different goals (I only care about having a motor to get me to the trail head and only ride for 2-3 hours at a time). Best of luck on you mission to find something that suites you. Which unicorn are you looking for? How about a Unno Myth?
MITH - Unno

RustyMojo

Oct 30, 2021
Gloucestershire
I hear you. You have to like what you pay and arm and a leg for. I have only ridden Specialized emtbs (Kenevo, Levo SL and Kenevo SL) and I didn't like the Kenevo as it was so heavy and noticeably dull on the way down. I think my Levo SL has been the best to ride as it is feel most like an analog bike. Then again, we probably ride in quite different areas, with possibly different goals (I only care about having a motor to get me to the trail head and only ride for 2-3 hours at a time). Best of luck on you mission to find something that suites you. Which unicorn are you looking for? How about a Unno Myth?
MITH - Unno
I guess my ideal bike is my Trek Rail designed for UK conditions (no ports open to the elements, better sealing etc. with Specialized dealer backup…it’s more of donkey than a Unicorn. If I was talking proper unicorn it’d be a Mullet optimised from Factory Rail, with inbuilt battery and about 5kg lighter 😂. I like the Unno and we have a dealer nearby, but it’s likely the same problems over. I think I’m gonna have to buy a Specialized. My problem with them is the same with my new company car…which is a Tesla. I just find them lacking soul, it’s hard to describe in a succinct manner to be honest. 🤔

Mteam

E*POWAH Elite
Aug 3, 2020
gone
I think if you get the specialized there's a possibility you may still be disappointed,but I guess if your local dealer is Berkshire cycles then everyone rates them,so you too should get good service,so less of a risk,but I wouldn't just assume because it's a specialized that their warranty processes will automatically be better than what you have experienced so far with Bosch, as the tales of less than stellar specialized warranty support further up this thread show.

And the brose motors are known to be less reliable than Bosch and also less powerful.

Only one way to find out,get one bought - turbo levos are (relatively) cheap right now, give it a go.

Mate

Jan 4, 2021
Amsterdam
Specialized has extended the warranty from 2 to 4 years for a few years. They only did this to indicate that the new engines would be trouble free...which they absolutely are not. In 2 years I have already had a new engine 5 times. And indeed I usually had my bike back within a week.

I have now purchased a new EMTB, with a Bosch motor. Hopefully the Bosch motor will last longer than a Bose motor. I find reliability, Bosch motors are known for having few malfunctions, more important than the duration of repair.

RustyMojo

Oct 30, 2021
Gloucestershire
Specialized has extended the warranty from 2 to 4 years for a few years. They only did this to indicate that the new engines would be trouble free...which they absolutely are not. In 2 years I have already had a new engine 5 times. And indeed I usually had my bike back within a week.

I have now purchased a new EMTB, with a Bosch motor. Hopefully the Bosch motor will last longer than a Bose motor. I find reliability, Bosch motors are known for having few malfunctions, more important than the duration of repair.
I wish you all the luck with it mate. I’m 14 months in and hopefully soon to be on my 3rd motor. With a total down time due to warranty of around 3 months. They all go wrong, it’s the nature of the product evolution. It’s how things are handled when it goes wrong that shape the complete package. Sadly my own experience suggests that whilst Bosch have fixed the problems, it’s not what I would deem as a acceptable timeframe.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles