Is Blood the only way ?

Rickster

Subscriber
Feb 19, 2022
Ok BC Canada
Hey about to bleed out my magura's and noticed the ridiculous price for their "special" mineral oil ! Yet Maxima offers mineral brake oil for 1/4 the price. Am I missing something "special " about the blood or is this price gouging or is it all about the colour ? 🤓

RebornRider

May 31, 2019
NorCal USA
The tricky part of this is that "mineral oil" can be a lot of different things. It is not a pure substance like ethanol. methanol, water, etc. So Magura *might* have something in their mineral oil that measurably improves performance of their brakes. Or it could be 100% marketing bs. Or maybe there is a small benefit.

And (probably) no mtb media source is going to risk their income from advertisers by conducting rigorous tests of different mineral oil brands. We need the bike channel equivalent of Project Farm or Torque Test Channel.

So you've got to ask yourself one question: Do I fell lucky?

My $0.02 is that Royal Blood is ridiculously overpriced, but one bottle lasts for years, so the price per ride is tiny. I've had my Magura brakes for about 4 years, and I've bought only one bottle of their mineral oil. There is still enough left in the bottle for a couple more bleeds.

p3eps

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
Dec 14, 2019
Scotland
I was about £12 for 250ml. I've still got over 1/2 my bottle left that I bought 4 years ago. I cut the hoses and filled the brakes / bled them... and then about 10 months ago moved them onto another bike - so had to drain the fluid and refill with new.
They don't take a lot to fill them.

Yes, it's expensive for the tiny bottle you get... but it'll probably last several years.

Would Magura warranty a brake if it was full of a different mineral oil (not blue?!). For the price, is it really worth the risk?

MOTO13

Sep 16, 2020
Elkhorn, Wi
From everything I know about RB, there are ZERO additives, other than the dye. It's pure mineral dyed blue. Nothing proprietary about it...other than color.

Rickster

Subscriber
Feb 19, 2022
Ok BC Canada
Well it seems there is more than just mineral oil at least in the Finish Line brand which is clearly marked on the container... but the Royal Blood has "secret " non revealed ingredients on its container 🤷‍♂️

IMG_5593.jpeg IMG_5592.jpeg

Rickster

Subscriber
Feb 19, 2022
Ok BC Canada
Perfect, I think I'm just going to go with the Maxima. I have used their other products for years without any issues.
Thanks everyone for the advice and suggestions. 😎 cheers

Rickster

Subscriber
Feb 19, 2022
Ok BC Canada
I was about £12 for 250ml. I've still got over 1/2 my bottle left that I bought 4 years ago. I cut the hoses and filled the brakes / bled them... and then about 10 months ago moved them onto another bike - so had to drain the fluid and refill with new.
They don't take a lot to fill them.

Yes, it's expensive for the tiny bottle you get... but it'll probably last several years.

Would Magura warranty a brake if it was full of a different mineral oil (not blue?!). For the price, is it really worth the risk?
I go through the stuff like water ! I do a complete flush out whenever I bleed the brakes on all my rides. So from what I'm hearing and seeing here it's a non issue to use other brands. Besides if I had a warranty claim I would just flush out and refill with royal blood, so expensive you need to have royal funds ! cheers 🍻

RustyIron

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
Jun 5, 2021
La Habra, California
Hey about to bleed out my magura's and noticed the ridiculous price for their "special" mineral oil ! Yet Maxima offers mineral brake oil for 1/4 the price. Am I missing something "special " about the blood or is this price gouging or is it all about the colour ? 🤓

Personally, I wouldn't sweat it. It's important to bleed more frequently to keep the oils clean and fresh. If the less expensive product will help you do that, then buy that. Recently I sold my bike with the Magura brakes, but I have a LOT of Royal Blood. I'll use it in my Shimano brakes and it will be fine.

You made me curious, so I looked up Maxima, Shimano, and Royal Blood. The chemical composition of Maxima and Magura are somewhat similar. Shimano is a little different, but I'm no chemical engineer, so I can' t tell you if the composition is relevant. The viscosity of the Royal Blood is 11.5 cSt, Maxima is <20.5 cSt, and Shimano is 8 cSt.

Plummet

Flash Git
Mar 16, 2023
New Zealand
Personally, I wouldn't sweat it. It's important to bleed more frequently to keep the oils clean and fresh. If the less expensive product will help you do that, then buy that. Recently I sold my bike with the Magura brakes, but I have a LOT of Royal Blood. I'll use it in my Shimano brakes and it will be fine.

You made me curious, so I looked up Maxima, Shimano, and Royal Blood. The chemical composition of Maxima and Magura are somewhat similar. Shimano is a little different, but I'm no chemical engineer, so I can' t tell you if the composition is relevant. The viscosity of the Royal Blood is 11.5 cSt, Maxima is <20.5 cSt, and Shimano is 8 cSt.
There are really 2 aspects that need to considered.

Viscosity of oil and chemical compatibility with elastomers. You will need to use similar viscosity oils or you could have performance issues. To thick and the port sizes will be too small for the thicker fluid and will slow down brake performance. To thin is better but maybe there will be some likely disadvantages of too thin. leaking seals perhaps?

If the oil is not compatible with the seals, the seals will swell and render the brake useless. Without a deep dive into the seal compatibility i expect that it should be the ok on all 3 mineral oil set ups.

Seal material between mineral oil and brake fluid is definitely different.

timcking

Oct 11, 2021
arider
You can buy mineral oil in your local drug store.

Litespeed

Dec 23, 2023
Vista California
Sep 23, 2021
St. Adèle, QC
The Royal Blood is a very very light mineral oil that Magura uses, but its specific properties are proprietary and a secret. I have used ‘other’ oils to help a rider out of a jam but warned them that a complete bleed would be necessary after they get back home from vacation. As far as rider feel at the lever: the Shimano, Tektro, Maxima and Motul all are thicker and feel like the brake is cold / frozen, the lever returns more slowly to its rest position. The pistons move about the same but also more slowly. Enough to notice.

Natch

Feb 10, 2024
Oregon
Well it seems there is more than just mineral oil at least in the Finish Line brand which is clearly marked on the container... but the Royal Blood has "secret " non revealed ingredients on its container 🤷‍♂️

Secret ingredient = blue dye?

RebornRider

May 31, 2019
NorCal USA
TheBikeMechanic says Shimano is thicker than Magura. That claim is not supported by viscosity data. You can learn a lot from the safety data sheets, which are required by governments. These data sheets are more likely to be accurate than spewage from the marketing departments.

The data sheets also confirm that there are measurable differences between various mineral oil brands.

Magura:
1711640710600.png

Shimano:
1711640753659.png

1711641283993.png
1711640791802.png

RebornRider

May 31, 2019
NorCal USA
Looking at the same data another way, Magura mineral oil is (11.5-8)/8 = 3.5/8 = 0.44 = 44% "thicker" (more viscous) than Shimano. You might notice a 44% change in viscosity. I would sure notice if my weight or my paycheck changed by 44%!

;)

Robstyle

Nov 17, 2021
New Zealand
Putoline hpx is what I've used for all my mineral oil brakes. Works great, well priced.
Factory recommended from Intend and Radic brakes too.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles