West highland way - is it worth it?

myskovon

Aug 12, 2018
Leeds
Has anyone on here ever done it?
A group of friends want to do it and I’d be the only one on an ebike. Just wanting to know if anyone on here has ever done it (on any bike) and what advice they have if doing it on an emtb.

As it’s a point to point route the planning involved and fact I’d be in Eco all day makes me wonder if it’s worthwhile. Some of the scenery looks stunning but I’m doubting whether the trail has much in the way of excitement over its 96 miles. We were thinking of doing it over 3 days and maybe tagging some Fort Bill riding onto the end if anyone has any legs left ?.
2A202730-D629-4271-8D57-3F3B3AED841A.jpeg

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Quite a few friends have done it. I haven't - But I have ridden over half of the route in shorter sections on various other rides and know some parts pretty well.
Using an emtb you'll need to plan to stay at places with power to recharge (obvs) rather than wild camping.
The first half (if starting from Milngavie) is actually pretty dull (riding wise, you'll probably enjoy the scenery thoutgh). It does get more technical further on and there's a fair bit of hike a bike in the middle. (less fun with a heavy laden Emtb obvs)
It can be busy with walkers mid summer
Midges will love your warm English blood
Personally I'd be trying to get it over with as quickly as possible travelling as light as possible.

Doing it at on an Emtb with multiple batteries and someone kind enough to drive to Ft bill and meet to swap at various points along the route might be fun.

with 3 days in Central Scotland/highlands you could ride waaaay more interesting trails.
Depends what sort of riding you prefer though. obviously.

myskovon

Aug 12, 2018
Leeds
That’s what I’ve been thinking, there’s loads of places we haven’t rode in Scotland still which are far more entertaining. For my friends who aren’t relying on battery power I think the scenery and sense of achievement for covering that distance will be enough but the satisfaction of doing it on an emtb wouldn’t be the same - plus like you say pushing/carrying an ebike up some of the climbing does not sound fun.

One lad is a proper XC snake and would do ebike pace but I think riding at a pace that suits everyone will reduce my range considerably as the days will be so much longer.

The proposed date is at the backend of April and we were planning on using accommodation along the way so charging shouldn’t be a big issue but I’m thinking the better idea might be to do the last day with them (they are starting from Milngavie and the first day will be the biggest/most boring) and stay on to ride more exciting trails the day after??

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Yeah. If you choose that option there are plenty great places you could ride while skipping the first day and meeting up with your mates at the accomodation later.

Gazzaaitken

Nov 7, 2019
Scotland
We did Tyndrum to Fort William in one day on our normal mtb"s, think it was about 40 miles. Epic day out. We missed out starting from Milngavie and the hike a bike section. Left the car at Tyndrum and booked a b&b for the night in Fort Willam, hit the pub for some beers & food then got the train back next day to Tyndrum. I'm thinking about doing a bit again this year on the new ebike, but planning to do Tyndrum to Kinlochleven and back in the one day.

myskovon

Aug 12, 2018
Leeds
We did Tyndrum to Fort William in one day on our normal mtb"s, think it was about 40 miles. Epic day out. We missed out starting from Milngavie and the hike a bike section. Left the car at Tyndrum and booked a b&b for the night in Fort Willam, hit the pub for some beers & food then got the train back next day to Tyndrum. I'm thinking about doing a bit again this year on the new ebike, but planning to do Tyndrum to Kinlochleven and back in the one day.

Sounds great. So from Tyndrum to Fort Bill is there no hike a bike? The grief I’d get for meeting up with them on the very last day and not being able to ride everything on the remaining distance would be too much ?

Last edited:

Gazzaaitken

Nov 7, 2019
Scotland
Sounds great. So from Tyndrum to Fort Bill is there no hike a bike? The grief I’d get for meeting up with them on the very last day and not being able to ride everything on the remaining distance would be too much ?
We did do some pushing but it was mainly the steepness on some sections, nothing that can't be done on an ebike. I think you should be able to ride out of Kinlochleven just steps up the way on the way out But I cant remember how steep they were.

Last edited:

Cabby.

Apr 17, 2020
Scotland
Sorry a bit late to the party.

I've done it all on an mtb and have very recently been considering doing it again, on an emtb, however.

There can be a lot of lumping the bike in the early parts and away from Glencoe and out of Kinlochleven, could well be hard going but other than that I think it would be brilliant on an emtb.

Much to consider for myself to think about as it's a brutal 3 days.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles