eBike Specific Wheels vs Non-eBike Wheels

photocycycler

May 2, 2020
PNW
I just bought a YT Decoy and not a fan of the DT Swiss 1900 Spline wheels that come with it. Seems I can use my e13 TRS Plus wheels from my analog bike and save a pound. I am not a heavy rider (165lbs) and generally don't wreck wheels.

Any issues with making this swap?

Pabs

Jul 27, 2019
London
I think for non specific e bike rims you'd want them to be DH rated really. I will be if(read when:p) I build up or buy some wheels (y)

That said, you've got them and they are sitting there not doing much else....risk it for a biscuit :D

I've some rather fancy custom build wheelset on my normal bike, 1550g, carbon, blah blah, but they are only enduro rated so can see me snapping them on the e bike and have resisted the temptation so far.

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
No issue, but if the DT Swiss are the e-bike Hybrid version they will have a steel free hub body rather than an alloy one, the alloy ones have a tendency to stip quicker than on a normal bike due to the force going though them on an EMTB.

Ou of interest what dont you like about the 1900's? I have them on two bikes, and whilst not a high end wheelset they have been bulletproof for me with no dings or loss of tension.

photocycycler

May 2, 2020
PNW
No issue, but if the DT Swiss are the e-bike Hybrid version they will have a steel free hub body rather than an alloy one, the alloy ones have a tendency to stip quicker than on a normal bike due to the force going though them on an EMTB.

Ou of interest what dont you like about the 1900's? I have them on two bikes, and whilst not a high end wheelset they have been bulletproof for me with no dings or loss of tension.

After more reading I am seeing its more about the freehob body and pawls then the stiffness of the wheels.

I just really like my e13 and they are a lb lighter. The weight is a ton for the DT swiss, seems no one has really made lighter wheels for eBikes

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
Makes sense, easy way to get some weigh off the rolling mass.

I am a big fan of the HX1501 DT Swiss wheels, best executed EMTB specific wheelset I have seen/had a go on, but I dont see much value in paying big bucks for what is in my view a disposable item on an EMTB

HX 1501 SPLINE® ONE | DT Swiss

I think I might try the new Hunt EMTB wheels when mine bite the dust.

HUNT E_Enduro Wide E-MTB Wheelset

photocycycler

May 2, 2020
PNW
Makes sense, easy way to get some weigh off the rolling mass.

I am a big fan of the HX1501 DT Swiss wheels, best executed EMTB specific wheelset I have seen/had a go on, but I dont see much value in paying big bucks for what is in my view a disposable item on an EMTB

HX 1501 SPLINE® ONE | DT Swiss

I think I might try the new Hunt EMTB wheels when mine bite the dust.

HUNT E_Enduro Wide E-MTB Wheelset
I have had good luck with HUNT on my gravel bikes, the weight of these things are insane though (2531/2621g)

Evolution Stu

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
Jun 30, 2019
Blackpool. U.K.
I can understand an argument for the hub to be stronger due to in appropriate used of power, but not the wheel itself. But that said, has anyone tried to follow a pro up a hill? I ride with one every week, enduro guy who enters these crazy 12hr events etc... and he’s faster than me Even up the hills on his analogue bike, so one can assume he puts out almost as much power uphill as I do with a motor. ??‍♂️

Ref the wheels...
If an E-Bike needed a stronger wheel, then a 90kg rider would need a stronger wheel than a 70kg rider Surely?

These things are only about 10-15kg heavier than normal. A lot of the E-Stuff is just technology tax for folk deemed to have more disposable income.

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
I totally agree that a lot of EMTB specific products are marketing led, but I do think that on wheels, in particular hubs are something worth thinking about when looking at wheels.

A motor, especially if rider in boost/turbo is putting significantly more power through the drivetrain, and a lot of the impact on the drivetrain and hub is the initial application of that power when the motor engages, not so much the continuous application of it. Problems tend to occur when a lot of force is suddenly applied - this picture shows a basic DT Swiss hub that is 3 months old, and you can see the scouring on it.

You dont necessarily need an EMTB specific hub, but IMO you do need one designed to take abuse.

Screenshot 2020-05-05 at 22.09.00.png

Screenshot 2020-05-05 at 22.09.56.png

thebarber

E*POWAH Elite
May 28, 2018
Norfeast

I took this pic yesterday, currently looking for a replacement steel freehub if you've any ideas.
M1900, vitus e sommet, 2yr old.
They take a bit o beating, although I keep looking for new wheels and then talking myself out of it...

20200505_182926.jpg

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles