EBike Specific Forks

photocycycler

May 2, 2020
PNW
I can understand why they exist but wondering how necessary. I’m a average weight rider (165) and look at it that riders weighing 50lbs more than me are riding normal forks, is the EBike specific fork necessary for me?

Darren

Sep 25, 2019
Warwick
I can understand why they exist but wondering how necessary. I’m a average weight rider (165) and look at it that riders weighing 50lbs more than me are riding normal forks, is the EBike specific fork necessary for me?

When I see the small version of your avitar, I want to eat fried chicken #lockdownfever

Motoride

Jun 15, 2019
San Jose California
Only if you bust your standard Fox36 on an Ebike they wont warranty it!!!
My pivot shuttle came with standard Fox 36, 150mm they mentioned it was not necessary to have the E model but now it appears the new 2029 pivot shuttle model has the E36 Fork model maybe it’s necessary with the added travel increase to 160mm

Konanige

Feb 29, 2020
Mendips
My pivot shuttle came with standard Fox 36, 150mm they mentioned it was not necessary to have the E model but now it appears the new 2029 pivot shuttle model has the E36 Fork model maybe it’s necessary with the added travel increase to 160mm
Fox state on the 36 user manual 'do not use any standard Fox Fork on any Ebike producing more than 250 Watts of power' or you may DIE!!!

salko

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Aug 29, 2019
SLO
As someone said, the only difference between normal and e-bike specific fork is a label ;)

The Flying Dutchman

E*POWAH Master
Jan 16, 2019
Wellington NZ
As someone said, the only difference between normal and e-bike specific fork is a label ;)

not quite, but not far off either ;)

The on the E-specific Fox 36 the stanchion walls are thicker and house the internals of a Fox 34. Thicker tubes=increase stiffness, strength, and weight.

Quite annoying as you can't get more than 160mm travel which the longest air shaft offering for Fox 34's and I don't think you can get the cool luftcappe upgrades either.

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
I think this is the oldest debate on the Forum! Simple answer is no you don't need them, however I would caveat that by saying if I was looking at a thinner stanchioned fork like a Fox 34 I would consider going with the ebikes specific version as the beefing up probably makes a difference at that level.

salko

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Aug 29, 2019
SLO
Then I guess they should also start to sell forks specific to heaver riders, completely new market waiting to be conquered :p

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
Then I guess they should also start to sell forks specific to heaver riders, completely new market waiting to be conquered :p
Dont worry, they have now also started recommending the Ebike specific one for big bois, never loose a marketing opportunity ;)

Mcharza

E*POWAH BOSS
Aug 10, 2018
Helsinki, Finland
not quite, but not far off either ;)

The on the E-specific Fox 36 the stanchion walls are thicker and house the internals of a Fox 34. Thicker tubes=increase stiffness, strength, and weight.

Quite annoying as you can't get more than 160mm travel which the longest air shaft offering for Fox 34's and I don't think you can get the cool luftcappe upgrades either.

Please remember, that stanchions are thicker because they are made of different aluminum and must be thicker in order to obtain sufficient rigidity. Those are mid-range forks, but for marketing aspect they call it e-mtb fork :)

More pricey mtb forks (Fox 36, RS Lyrik) are good to emtb

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles