Converting to a non-ebike

jmautio

Aug 11, 2020
Finland
Has anyone tried out a conversion to organic, by switching the engine to a dummy? Easiest option might be using the shell from a broken engine, taking everything else out sans bottom bracket. Anyone have an idea how much the e-stuff weight is in a shimano e-8000 engine or a bosch 4gen.

This would be for pure lift accessed days, where a lighter bike is always preferred. Ofc the battery is taken out, but even swapping the engine wouldn´t seem an impossible task, it´s 6 bolts and a few cables..

I don´t really need anyone commenting, "just take the battery out, it´s the same weight as a DH bike" when it clearly is not :) as itwould be more like a very overweight endurobike.. It´s a niche option for sure, don´t bother commenting if it´s not your thing.

There was an older thread at specialized sub-forum, which doesn´t seem to collect any opinions.

Zudnik

Jul 27, 2020
NNJ, USA
This "overly complicated" idea may not work out but it's a pretty cool idea. Also the first ebikes that were developed were overly complex but over time the idea certainly took hold.

STATO

Feb 18, 2020
North
Fazua do a removable motor. Id probably go for a bike that uses that motor, than the considerable pain of trying to swap a motor and wiring out.

STATO

Feb 18, 2020
North
Are you thinking to swap back and forth, between clockwork and electric?

I would not bother trying to modify a dummy motor.
It should not be beyond the capability of a decent fabricator to knock up an stiff aluminium frame to utilise the frame motor mountings, but incorporating a conventional bottom bracket of choice. The clockwork assembly would include a new chainring, cranks and pedals.

You would swap the entire motor crankset out for your clockwok assembly.
Leave the wiring loom in place, ready to swap back.

If Bosch Gen 4 you would save 2.9kg of motor and 3.5kg of 625Wh battery.
Assuming your clockwork assembly comes in at 400g, you would save circa 6kg.

You would be left with a 20kg compromised clockwork rig and a lot of pfaff... interesting though.

I would just buy an uncompromised clockwork bike and have both.

I think as a concept it has merit for certain occasions.

I have a 140mm ebike, a 150mm travel 'trail' bike. 170/180mm is way too much for what I ride, but ebikes are so easy to ride i do wonder if i should have got the 170mm bike. I think if i could have got a 170/180mm travel ebike that you could take most of the weight off, i might have got one of those for uplift days and alps holidays, even if it was technically less efficient. Instead ive kept an old DH bike that gets used once every other blue moon.

The main issue with swapping out a current bosch/shimano, its just not easy enough to even consider other than very occasionally, like an alps trip.

jmautio

Aug 11, 2020
Finland
Yes, like said, for the times when I know I'm riding multiple days at lifts, for example a week in the Alps. I'm also planning a longer trip with a van and cannot fit two bikes. The trip will include big climbing days and lift days, so..

I'm exactly looking at a 160/160 e-enduro, which I'd be happy at my hometrails as an e-bike and then could swap to organic for the Alps. I did not get Kilhams point at all and I'm not looking to spend money on two bikes or a second frame (parts never match 100%). I'd prefer to put the money on one good set of parts. A dummy engine frame has the point also that it takes the beating for sure, q-factor is the same, everything is the same. Optimally I could perhaps modify it a bit and put the essential tools etc on the empty space.

I'd estimate a 22kg ebike would be sub 17kg this way, which is totally acceptable when you compare it for a Privateer [email protected] for example.

I'm planning to use same cranks ofcourse, because it's not a big deal to swap cranks and this way the same chainring is used, so the wear matches the drivetrain.

Last edited:

nasamorpheus

Jul 17, 2020
Ljubljana
Yes, like said, for the times when I know I'm riding multiple days at lifts, for example a week in the Alps. I'm also planning a longer trip with a van and cannot fit two bikes. The trip will include big climbing days and lift days, so..

I'm exactly looking at a 160/160 e-enduro, which I'd be happy at my hometrails as an e-bike and then could swap to organic for the Alps. I did not get Kilhams point at all and I'm not looking to spend money on two bikes or a second frame (parts never match 100%). I'd prefer to put the money on one good set of parts. A dummy engine frame has the point also that it takes the beating for sure, q-factor is the same, everything is the same. Optimally I could perhaps modify it a bit and put the essential tools etc on the empty space.

I'd estimate a 22kg ebike would be sub 17kg this way, which is totally acceptable when you compare it for a Privateer [email protected] for example.

I'm planning to use same cranks ofcourse, because it's not a big deal to swap cranks and this way the same chainring is used, so the wear matches the drivetrain.
Fazua

Chairman

Feb 25, 2022
Nz
I like this plan. Keep us posted. I would like to know how you work this particularly the cranks with the motor guts gone

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles