Ebike motor centre

Binhill1

🍊 Tango Man 🍊
Mar 7, 2019
Scotland
I wonder if there is a correlation between keeping an E-bike inside vs outside regarding condensation inside the motor and water damage?

I regularly clean my bike, in fact almost after every ride as I keep it in the house.
Once clean It comes inside and lives next to a radiator where it has the chance to thoroughly dry off.

Is there more chance of water ingress/condensation inside the motor if the bike is cleaned and then left in a cold damp garage or shed?
My levo was not starting first time I had to plug and unplug battery cable a few times before it would work . I got a new Tcu to motor cable on warranty. But my dealer also asked me to look at the motor port for greenery and if there was any work the fiddly little plug in and out to clean it. I could see the green colour right enough . He told me the moisture comes from the heat inside which eventually causes a bit of corrosion. We still got a long way to go for Ebike reliability I think.

weihlac

Subscriber
Oct 12, 2020
USA
Thank goodness for this service. I only wish they were situated in North America.

Pete has helped me out with a Bosch CX casing issue. The logistics for parts to Canada are thru Cyclo Chrome in Gaspe Quebec. It was cheaper than I thought and was fairly fast.

Someday I’ll be relying on them again.

franciscoasismm

May 31, 2021
Badajoz
And there you go... That's all you need to do to help your motor live its best life.
Top 3 killers:
  1. Pressure washer / Direct jet hose at the crank
  2. Deep water fording
  3. Using a car rack on wet roads without covering the motor

You're so right
1 Never use Karcher or hose
2 I never did what you see in the picture

FB_IMG_1697040178833~2.jpg FB_IMG_1708793006244.jpg

longpete

Jun 14, 2023
world
Point of order yeronner. I don't think you need to change the bearing seals often since it's a steel disc with a rubber cover, unless you observe deterioration in the rubber. But I would advocate regularly renewing the grease. IME, it can disperse quite quickly whereas the seals themselves are pretty durable.
Can you show us how to do that?

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC

Confession …I’m guilty of doing this several times in the past 4 years. There is a creek that I cross that occasionally rises that “oh-no” level. 😱. The long round log that crosses this creek is not an option for me.

I do my best to prevent water ingress into the motor (Bosch gen4 CX). Riding in all types of weather extends my riding season. But we don’t get the UK mud or the fine dust and sand of Cali. I could be the “poster-child” for electric motor abuse. However, I take a few precautions.

-Cover the motor when transporting, on the rack, in wet conditions.
-Use dielectric grease only where necessary.
-a gentle shower when cleaning.
-Listen or feel for changes.
-Bearing seal kit and grease.

I’m definitely fortunate that my motor has lasted this long. IMO pedal cadence and a consistent pedal pressure is important for internal gears and cogs. Water can be our friend or enemy.

MB1

Dec 28, 2019
Cumbria
Our very own @Bearing Man is internet famous. It's full of enough decent advice to make you put down your Karcher. 🥳

I used their service to refurbish my Bosch motor, grinding noise and seized peddles after a short storage. Service was great, as good as as a new motor. Never submerged and carefully washed but, and it’s only my opinion, these motors are poorly designed, automotive equipment has a far better life in harsher conditions, but it’s only my opinion. The service from these guys is outstanding and nothing to do with my issue with the overall design.

Bearing Man

Ebike Motor Centre
Patreon
Sep 29, 2018
UK
The one question I wished had been asked is "Which motors do you repair?"
Or maybe "Are there any motors that you don't repair?"
We currently repair:
Bosch
Brose
Mahle
Impulse
Panasonic
Yamaha (Inc Giant)

We do support Shimano with bearings, but no longer service the motors due to Shimano refusing to speak to us. Please campaign to Shimano to help us with software support because if they help us a little, we can help you guys a lot!

Waynemarlow

E*POWAH Master
Dec 6, 2019
Bucks
Bearing Man, when are you going to offer to service the Bafang M series motors, they are being used more and more on major brands, can be a very good motor, but do suffer with the usual bearings and water ingress of the muddy UK winters along with all other brands. All parts are available, but few offer to service them when they do fail ?

Bearing Man

Ebike Motor Centre
Patreon
Sep 29, 2018
UK
Bearing Man, when are you going to offer to service the Bafang M series motors, they are being used more and more on major brands, can be a very good motor, but do suffer with the usual bearings and water ingress of the muddy UK winters along with all other brands. All parts are available, but few offer to service them when they do fail ?
Because of the outlay needed to support a motor, especially one with a large number of different models, we can't afford to do this until we have the demand. Unfortunately, the demand from Bafang owners is just not there yet. Rest assured, as soon as we start getting enough enquiries, we will start supporting them.

Waynemarlow

E*POWAH Master
Dec 6, 2019
Bucks
Because of the outlay needed to support a motor, especially one with a large number of different models, we can't afford to do this until we have the demand. Unfortunately, the demand from Bafang owners is just not there yet. Rest assured, as soon as we start getting enough enquiries, we will start supporting them.
With the likes of Vitus selling a lot of the M510 motors with only seemingly a minimum of support, then the need of a servicing agent may just come around quicker than we may think ?

If you just say look at the M series only, you wouldn't need to carry much stock ( few parts seem to fail, mainly bearings and sometimes controllers from water ingress ) and the parts are redicuously cheap in comparison to say the main brands. Its just basic engineering skills ( that most people don't have any longer ) needed to work on these relatively simple motors that the majority of owners are short of, there are no special tools required.

Edit, sorry you would need only a BEEST computer interface for recalibration if a controller is changed.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles