Ebike motor centre

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
Our very own @Bearing Man is internet famous. It's full of enough decent advice to make you put down your Karcher. 🥳

Thank goodness for this service. I only wish they were situated in North America.

Pete has helped me out with a Bosch CX casing issue. The logistics for parts to Canada are thru Cyclo Chrome in Gaspe Quebec. It was cheaper than I thought and was fairly fast.

Someday I’ll be relying on them again.

Ark

Mar 8, 2023
Newcastle Upon Tyne
We should have the right to repair, with all parts available at a customer level and a guide book detailing the steps, just like with cars.

They don't even tell you to service the seals for the crank arms ?

Money Pit

Subscriber
Jan 27, 2024
UK
I watched this then went for a very muddy ride and then was terrified to clean my bike how I normally would lol.

How am I meant to clean around a mud caked chain ring safely?

Bearing Man

Ebike Motor Centre
Patreon
Sep 29, 2018
UK
I watched this then went for a very muddy ride and then was terrified to clean my bike how I normally would lol.

How am I meant to clean around a mud caked chain ring safely?
Spray your motor with some sort of cleaner that releases mud, like Muck-off, truck wash, Motorcycle cleaner etc. then use a soft brush to loosen the dirt, followed by a hose on sprinkler setting. If mud has built up badly, rake it out first, the truck wash will do the rest.

Money Pit

Subscriber
Jan 27, 2024
UK
Spray your motor with some sort of cleaner that releases mud, like Muck-off, truck wash, Motorcycle cleaner etc. then use a soft brush to loosen the dirt, followed by a hose on sprinkler setting. If mud has built up badly, rake it out first, the truck wash will do the rest.
OK thanks for that. I think I need to invest in a decent brush to get the crap out.

Recent bike rides have seen my bike absolutely caked in mud and debris. In the summer it's fine, it wouldn't bother me, but in these recent conditions I need to try and remove most of the thick stuff if I want to continue being allowed to keep the bike in the house lol.

Bearing Man

Ebike Motor Centre
Patreon
Sep 29, 2018
UK
The one question I wished had been asked is "Which motors do you repair?"
Or maybe "Are there any motors that you don't repair?"
There are now hundreds of motors out there, but they have to reach a certain level before the amount of work you have to put in to support them becomes economically viable. We do like at least a nod from the manufacturers, but sadly the only main manufacturer that will not acknowledge us in the slightest is Shimano, so currently we cannot support them. I feel desperately sorry for Shimano owners, but unless you put pressure on Madison or Shimano, nothing will change. We do support Shimano with bearings and parts though.

We currently support:
Bosch (All generations)
Brose (All generations)
Impulse (All models)
Mahle 1.1 and 1.2
Panasonic 24 and 36V
Yamaha (All models)

More makes and models are in the pipeline.

Peaky Rider

E*POWAH Master
Feb 9, 2019
Derbyshire Dales
We should have the right to repair, with all parts available at a customer level and a guide book detailing the steps, just like with cars.

They don't even tell you to service the seals for the crank arms ?
When you buy the seal replacement kit the information document that comes with it tells you that what you are doing isn't necessary, which is probably why they don't tell you about the seals.

Changed mine, made no difference, motor still went bang three months later.

Last edited:

Weeksy

Dec 13, 2019
Reading
There are now hundreds of motors out there, but they have to reach a certain level before the amount of work you have to put in to support them becomes economically viable. We do like at least a nod from the manufacturers, but sadly the only main manufacturer that will not acknowledge us in the slightest is Shimano, so currently we cannot support them. I feel desperately sorry for Shimano owners, but unless you put pressure on Madison or Shimano, nothing will change. We do support Shimano with bearings and parts though.

We currently support:
Bosch (All generations)
Brose (All generations)
Impulse (All models)
Mahle 1.1 and 1.2
Panasonic 24 and 36V
Yamaha (All models)

I had great service from you guys on my wifes Yamaha/Liv.

Would be awesome if you jump into EP8RS though should i ever have a need for it.

RustyMTB

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Jul 22, 2020
UK
When you buy the seal replacement kit the information document that comes with it tells you that what you are doing isn't necessary, which is probably why they don't tell you about the seals.

Changed mine, made no difference, motor still went bang three months later.
Did it specifically die because of a fault with the crank seals?

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC

We currently support:
Bosch (All generations)
Brose (All generations)
Impulse (All models)
Mahle 1.1 and 1.2
Panasonic 24 and 36V
Yamaha (All models)

I’ve seen pictures in here of eMTB riders on sandy beaches, dry deserts, UK mud, snow, hail, rain, bear scat, creeks, rivers, rocks, snakes, decaying logs, road spray, salt spray etc. I only have experience with some of these (most) and my motor keeps plugging along after 4years.

I’ve replaced the bearing seal kit once …but I should do that more often. (Have spare kit now). But I generally use the “soaking-wet-underwear” measure to decide when to go home. 😉

Then I rinse my bike using shower mode. 🤷‍♂️(fingers crossed 🤞)

RustyMTB

Jul 22, 2020
UK
Point of order yeronner. I don't think you need to change the bearing seals often since it's a steel disc with a rubber cover, unless you observe deterioration in the rubber. But I would advocate regularly renewing the grease. IME, it can disperse quite quickly whereas the seals themselves are pretty durable.

Hattori-Hanzo

Apr 10, 2023
UK
I wonder if there is a correlation between keeping an E-bike inside vs outside regarding condensation inside the motor and water damage?

I regularly clean my bike, in fact almost after every ride as I keep it in the house.
Once clean It comes inside and lives next to a radiator where it has the chance to thoroughly dry off.

Is there more chance of water ingress/condensation inside the motor if the bike is cleaned and then left in a cold damp garage or shed?

kla456

Mar 8, 2020
Dundee
My Levo is not kept in the house. I wait until the muck is completely dry, then brush it off, then final wipe with dry cloth.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
Mine lives in the garage. Due to a mistake by the builder, it has fully insulated walls. I have insulated the doors. Consequently, it seldom goes below 8 degC even in winter and it no longer gets too warm even in Summer, once I'd done the doors. I have been storing and charging emtbs in there since Jan'19 and I've had zero problems.

Peaky Rider

E*POWAH Master
Feb 9, 2019
Derbyshire Dales
Did it specifically die because of a fault with the crank seals?
I have no idea, apparently Bosch don't divulge such information, not even to the dealer. I can't remember which error codes came up but two instances of a particular one appearing and Bosch accept that the motor is toast. My bike threw that one up several times.
Not too upset as the bike was three months out of warranty and they still replaced the the motor totally free of charge.

Last edited:

Bearing Man

Ebike Motor Centre
Patreon
Sep 29, 2018
UK
I wonder if there is a correlation between keeping an E-bike inside vs outside regarding condensation inside the motor and water damage?

I regularly clean my bike, in fact almost after every ride as I keep it in the house.
Once clean It comes inside and lives next to a radiator where it has the chance to thoroughly dry off.

Is there more chance of water ingress/condensation inside the motor if the bike is cleaned and then left in a cold damp garage or shed?
Great question. Most motors are hermetically sealed, once water gets in it does not get out again. Usually, the water drops to the bottom of the motor and if warmed, just condenses and tends to collect on the PCB as this is usually a free standing isolated part inside the motor that tends to be the coldest bit because it's not touching the aluminium housings.
So basically, no matter how much you heat your motor, it won't dry out.
There are a couple of exceptions like Mahle and Yamaha. These motors have a one way membrane, that will eventually let the motor dry internally, although this takes 2 to 3 months. Also allowing fresh oxygen into the motor tends to exaggerate any corrosion on the electronics and internal parts.

Hattori-Hanzo

Apr 10, 2023
UK
Seems this is an issue with no real solution.
Even with the membrane Yamaha uses, you'd expect the motor to dry out over the summer months but the damage could already have been done?
All companies need to up thier seal game, or perhaps move the PCB outboard?

As a side question, have you worked on the rocky mountain dyname motor at all? What do you think of it if so. Was considering one for my next bike.

Bearing Man

Ebike Motor Centre
Patreon
Sep 29, 2018
UK
As a side question, have you worked on the rocky mountain dyname motor at all? What do you think of it if so. Was considering one for my next bike.
We have done a few Rocky Mountain motors, but they're not too common in the UK. Powerful motor, but heavy and a little over complex, seem generally strong though.

namastebuzz

Nov 9, 2021
Aberdeenshire
Top 3 killers:

1. Pressure washer / Direct jet hose at the crank
  2. Deep water fording
  3. Using a car rack on wet roads without covering the motor

That's really useful. Thanks.

Hadn't thought about the car rack. I take it transporting on the roof is preferable then? (If a bit tougher to load!)

I rode my Bosch CX equipped bike off-road in absolutely torrential rain a few weeks ago & it didn't like it. Showed a battery connection fault (832) but worked again after drying out & cleaning terminals.

In general, is it worth trying to pack in extra grease or take other waterproofing measures for all current motors?

Bearing Man

Ebike Motor Centre
Patreon
Sep 29, 2018
UK
That's really useful. Thanks.

Hadn't thought about the car rack. I take it transporting on the roof is preferable then? (If a bit tougher to load!)

I rode my Bosch CX equipped bike off-road in absolutely torrential rain a few weeks ago & it didn't like it. Showed a battery connection fault (832) but worked again after drying out & cleaning terminals.

In general, is it worth trying to pack in extra grease or take other waterproofing measures for all current motors?
A car rack is fine, just wrap a plastic bag or something around the motor if the roads are wet. It's not direct water pressure that you are protecting from, it's the air pressure forcing the spray in from all angles, so the roof won't be any better.
The bag does not need to be tight or sealed, just protective.

cozzy

Aug 11, 2019
Hampshire UK
I've never really washed my kenevo, mainly as I don't ride in the wet or mud.
The motor is over 3.5 years old.
However this year I did a few muddy rides and hosed it off. Afterwards there was a rusty stain coming from the crank bearings and the the chainring was stuck to the crank when backpedaling. It all freed off again but I'll be getting the hose nowhere near it in the future.

Bearing Man

Ebike Motor Centre
Patreon
Sep 29, 2018
UK
However this year I did a few muddy rides and hosed it off. Afterwards there was a rusty stain coming from the crank bearings and the the chainring was stuck to the crank when backpedaling. It all freed off again but I'll be getting the hose nowhere near it in the future.
Oop's, unfortunately, that is the perfect sign for the beginning of the end for that bearing!... You know where we are if you need us :)

James_C

Nov 25, 2019
Kent, UK

Thats kind of where I'm at nowadays - just dont wash it at all. Causes too many problems! Only thing I keep clean is the chain/cassette. The frame and suspension get a wipe with a damp cloth, that's it.

RustyMTB

Jul 22, 2020
UK
I wash mine regularly through winter. The dirt here is particularly rough but I go out of my way to avoid the cranks, controller & charge port. After, I'll leave the charge port open & remove the battery to let everything dry out & wipe the bike down, I don't think it's necessary to avoid washing altogether, just be mindful of the hazards.

timo2824

Dec 27, 2023
USA
Seems this is an issue with no real solution.
Even with the membrane Yamaha uses, you'd expect the motor to dry out over the summer months but the damage could already have been done?
All companies need to up thier seal game, or perhaps move the PCB outboard?

Just need to make the motors oil bath and have a yearly oil change interval. PCB 's sealed with silicone like automotive control modules, even high end roof top HVAC equipment PCB's have a sealant on them nowadays. The bearings would last thousands of miles and probably the useful life span of the bike this way.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles