E-MTB Myths

elyhim

May 31, 2018
usa north carolina
What are your EMTB myths? Here are a few of mine.

Using a motor is cheating, it is for fat and lazy people.

Well, sure it has helped me start in a sport where I certainly would not have continued. Being a former smoker and well out of shape the emtb helped me get out there, find friends, have a great time riding and have so much fun it became a new habit. I ride more often and further than anyone in my social group.
The fact is my heart rate monitor on an acoustic bike is full of peaks and valleys mostly tempo but with a small percentage in threshold. On my EMTB when I am giving the same effort I sustain a higher threshold - consistently. No peaks and valleys. I'm confused as to why it happens, am I moving faster and stringing the harder parts together quicker? Am I sustaining effort on the downhill for the heavier bike throwing it around? Am I not tired that I'm attempting more difficult lines? Do I keep higher cadence?
I've got the data for the first month of my heart rate monitor it is plain to see that while I may be breathing harder on an acoustic bike my cardio is being challenged more by my EMTB.

EMTB's are ridden by people with no skill.

There is a learning curve. The motor, weight and geometry of a new bike can take some getting used to but by not being exhausted I find myself trying harder lines. Bunnyhopping logs rather than pushing/pulling. My arms get tired long before my legs do so I pay attention to the ready profile, making sure I bend my elbows in the turns and utilize weight/unweight to find a grip on the trail edge to rail myself down the trail. I find myself riding with individuals who have been riding for years (while I've only ridden for a year) but are not riding as fast or tackling the lines I now find interesting and exciting. It may be that not being exhausted I can try new things. It may be by riding faster uphills I was able to ride with much better riders and learn also how to ride the downhills and features. It may be I'm riding more often than everyone but the 1% and so am gaining experience much quicker. Whatever it is I can clearly improvement and while I don't post segment times to leaderboards I'm catching within top ten all time in downhill segments as well.

Look, when the argument against EMTB's has gotten to the point where it is literally, "there will be too many people outside/in the woods", "there will be people spending too much time in the woods/outside" (too many for trails, too often on the trails) you have to know that it isn't you. It's not the EMTB and you, the problem is with people not accepting of change.

Post your myths and experiences.

Eastsidebkr

May 29, 2018
Bishop, ca
What i hear from guys i know is they dont think they will get a good work out from it. Far from the truth! I had the same notion until i got to ride a coworkers new levo. The light went on quickly for me! Its just going to take some educating and time. Its a game changer for sure.

Like you pointed out the emtb is a better training tool if youre targetting certain heart rate zones.

npatrix

May 22, 2018
Joburg, South Africa
What i hear from guys i know is they dont think they will get a good work out from it. Far from the truth! I had the same notion until i got to ride a coworkers new levo. The light went on quickly for me! Its just going to take some educating and time. Its a game changer for sure.

Like you pointed out the emtb is a better training tool if youre targetting certain heart rate zones.
I will work out more and better, more time because I enjoy big time and better because I can maintain more consitent HR aroun 145-155 rather than 175-185

elyhim

May 31, 2018
usa north carolina
I will work out more and better, more time because I enjoy big time and better because I can maintain more consitent HR aroun 145-155 rather than 175-185
I've found that if I go Economy or Tour (Trek Powerfly 8) I stay below 160 but if I go EMTB mode or turbo my heart rate goes up and I get threshold. It's like a 10% difference. You would think BPM would go up with less assist but I'm finding that is not the case. At least when I'm on the gas, if I'm cruising and cutting back brush or clearing fallen trees I'm in emtb but slower and less bpm.

MartinW148

May 30, 2018
Essex, England
Only had short rides so far, but I find from an effort point of view, I tend to match what the motor is in as this feels natural for me, therefore I work harder the more the motor does, I'm not using the motor to be lazy...

Kernow

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
Cornwall uk
Elyhim I agree with all you say there. I think it’s true for all riders when they get an ebike , wether a complete newby to cycling or a seasoned pro . It’s something I refused to believe before I had the ebike , in fact I felt I was giving in when I bought the ebike . How wrong I was .

There’s a few vids and test that prove the theory with top riders using ebikes to train . And I have noticed the same too . Last year I did over 3k miles on my road bike , I was finding mtb a bit limited due to the climbing required .i had fears that the ebike Would effect my fitness on the normal bike , but it’s actually been the opposite , I can only put it down to the regular heart rate achieved and the fact that I simply ride more now off road without wearing myself out .

I have a few theories on the fast skill level increase , it was the thing that most surprised me . I’ve been riding off road for years but since having the ebike I feel my skill level has increased and Iam riding things I would never have attempted before .
I think that reason for me is mainly the bike , I always went for a lighter bike with less travel because I simply don’t have the strength or fitness level to ride a heavy long travel enduro bike for and distance . Plus all mtb bikes have evolved so much , I think I had a similar fast increase when I got my first full suspension bike , and then a dropper post .
I think we will see a great increase in people using trails , however from recent visits to afan that can only be a good thing for a while . Afan is a huge trail centre with so many great trails , it clearly brings some needed prosperity to a poor area . It’s become a bit run down , partly I believe due to places with uplifts etc like BPW so ebikes will hopefully help increase the use of places like afan , brechfa , cwm carn etc . Maybe we’ll have to pay something towards it in the future ?

Jun 10, 2018
United Kingdom
What I really hate, is when someone goes on about how having a normal, super light XC bike and being really fit is the way to go uphill.

The fact is I can go up higher inclines than even what people like that are capable of.

Telling people it’s cheating is like them expecting to reach the moon in a Learjet.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles