E-bike World Record

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
That's not very far. @RichT001 can do 500 Miles and that's on a e-mountain bike !

Though he might have to go a bit faster to do 500 miles in 12 hours.

@RichT001 Your challenge is set ! :)

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France

295 miles ... CHEATER ? using a nice light bike ...

Not a very good promotion record when you look at it like that ?

Beekeeper

🍯Honey Monster🍯
Aug 6, 2019
Surrey hills
Surely Chris Boardman on his space age Lotus bike would have smashed all those records?
ACFD3316-00B1-4A3C-9199-39C152F4836D.jpeg

GrandPaBrogan

⚡ eGeezer ⚡
Oct 5, 2019
New Zealand
I was in China back in 2016 and had the opportunity to visit the Bafang factory. During pleasantries, their marketing manager asked us if we were aware that they participated in the Nurburgring 24 hour race eBike category in Germany. So I asked how did they do? He said they won 2 years in a row that they stopped participating because there was no point. They said that beat all the big name motor brands by a large margin, but it would appear that the specifics have been purged from the internet.

So I don't have the rules, data, or statistics and neither does this video (the only one I could find). I wish I did, as it would be interesting to compare with the world record mentioned above! So it's not definitive... but all I can say is, don't diss the Bafang. Politics may be (speculative) the only thing that's keeping them locked outside of the big name bike market.

Below is a private video I also found that shows the bikes they were using. Not sure what kind of motor it is, but it doesn't look like the cheap DIY conversion BBS-01 or the BBS-02 mid-drive motors you'd see for sale in AliExpress.

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
So I don't have the rules, data, or statistics and neither does this video
Some bits :

Translated from French ..

Forum - the main link has gone thought

Translated from German ..

From the French Bosch Site .. won't translate as a link ..

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
It's raining .. got bored .. found an archive of the original szbaf article which has been deleted (it was also moved to the main bafang site at one point and deleted from there too).

And in all it's glory .... was it worth it ... NOPE ... this is all there was :

28/07/2015Team Bafang wins at the 24 hour E-Bike race at the Nurburgring in Germany
At this year's race came to a total of 13 4-team. Including a Team in France, Italy and Luxembourg. Due to a storm warning of the start had to be postponed twice. Team Bafang entered as the only team without a Bosch engine, instead using the new innovative Max Drive System. After starting the French team went straight ahead and built this out until nightfall on 10 minutes. In the darkness, then came our team riders round closer to round. Shortly after midnight, the Team went for the first time in the lead. This was not even issued. Risks was on the legendary Nordschleife of the Nürburgring with more than 500 meters above sea level! Then there was a 500m long steep section with 27% gradient. A round length was 24km. After that has been changed. The Max Drive System was this challenge with flying colors. The engine was outstanding with his by zugsstarken engine. We did not have a technical defect. The drivers gave their utmost to win. Their advantage was that they all possessed a longstanding ring experience.

The team consisted of the team leader Bafang Ulli Golla, the Bafang Service Manager Bart van den Boom and the drivers Marc Golla, Joachim Sommershof, Frank Heinrich Müller-Aepfelbach.

GrandPaBrogan

⚡ eGeezer ⚡
Oct 5, 2019
New Zealand
It's raining .. got bored .. found an archive of the original szbaf article which has been deleted (it was also moved to the main bafang site at one point and deleted from there too).

And in all it's glory .... was it worth it ... NOPE ... this is all there was :

28/07/2015Team Bafang wins at the 24 hour E-Bike race at the Nurburgring in Germany
At this year's race came to a total of 13 4-team. Including a Team in France, Italy and Luxembourg. Due to a storm warning of the start had to be postponed twice. Team Bafang entered as the only team without a Bosch engine, instead using the new innovative Max Drive System. After starting the French team went straight ahead and built this out until nightfall on 10 minutes. In the darkness, then came our team riders round closer to round. Shortly after midnight, the Team went for the first time in the lead. This was not even issued. Risks was on the legendary Nordschleife of the Nürburgring with more than 500 meters above sea level! Then there was a 500m long steep section with 27% gradient. A round length was 24km. After that has been changed. The Max Drive System was this challenge with flying colors. The engine was outstanding with his by zugsstarken engine. We did not have a technical defect. The drivers gave their utmost to win. Their advantage was that they all possessed a longstanding ring experience.

The team consisted of the team leader Bafang Ulli Golla, the Bafang Service Manager Bart van den Boom and the drivers Marc Golla, Joachim Sommershof, Frank Heinrich Müller-Aepfelbach.
Go you!
So... are you some sort of skilled computer hack, that you can dig out dead fish that’s already buried in the backyard? ?

I was hoping for graphs and telemetry data, haha... but has never been published perhaps?

It would’ve been interesting though. An endurance test is one thing but an endurance ’race’ is a different ball game. You can’t just put everything on eco mode and go for the longest mileage range over a set time. In a race you also have to beat the other guy - it would be a knife-edge balancing act between maximising motor power applied, minimising battery depletion, and optimising rider exertion.

I can only presume from the videos that the 24 hour Nurburgring eBike category race allows bike & rider relays - but we don’t know how many individual bikes and riders are allowed. But it shouldn’t matter would it? If every team was allowed to relay as often as they wish, in theory the strongest motor that depletes its battery the least should give the advantage to the strongest team of riders. It is after all still about the riders and not the bike. But an inadequate eBike package would still be a massive handicap even for the best group of riders due to the brutal topography of the Nurburgring over a 24 hour bracket.

I bet some manufacturers regretted ever joining the eBike class... there’s nowhere to hide and it’s glaringly revealing.

Is the e-N24 still on annually @Zimmerframe?

Last edited:

Mabman

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Feb 28, 2018
Oregon USA
That is actually the record set in 2018. In 2019 Ravindra Kempaiah set a new one of 250 miles in 12 hrs and he went for the 24hr one also and ended up with 391 miles. Ravi is also a battery scientist and due to start work this fall in Halifax, Nova Scotia with Professor Jeff Dahn, Tesla's head battery technician: He also is involved with a new eBike venture called Zen that is a Bosch bike with a Rohlhoff and belt drive commuter/touring bike.

He did it on a Ti Wattwagon Bafang Ultra powered, the latest version of the Max Drive mentioned in the Nurburgring race, bike that here in the US is considered to be a Class 3 eBike. I think he averaged around 24mph. It was certified by Guinness but he said that they have been slow to issue the proper results.

Screen Shot 2020-06-11 at 6.52.48 PM.png

EebStrider

Apr 18, 2020
Surrey, UK
That's not very far. @RichT001 can do 500 Miles and that's on a e-mountain bike !

Though he might have to go a bit faster to do 500 miles in 12 hours.

@RichT001 Your challenge is set ! :)

Once I get my drug riddled energy bars, it’ll be a doddle!

GrandPaBrogan

⚡ eGeezer ⚡
Oct 5, 2019
New Zealand
That is actually the record set in 2018. In 2019 Ravindra Kempaiah set a new one of 250 miles in 12 hrs and he went for the 24hr one also and ended up with 391 miles. Ravi is also a battery scientist and due to start work this fall in Halifax, Nova Scotia with Professor Jeff Dahn, Tesla's head battery technician: He also is involved with a new eBike venture called Zen that is a Bosch bike with a Rohlhoff and belt drive commuter/touring bike.

He did it on a Ti Wattwagon Bafang Ultra powered, the latest version of the Max Drive mentioned in the Nurburgring race, bike that here in the US is considered to be a Class 3 eBike. I think he averaged around 24mph. It was certified by Guinness but he said that they have been slow to issue the proper results.

View attachment 33293
Thank you for your post @Mabman
Fascinating interview with professor Jeff Dahn!

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles