E-bike World Cup at Imola Motocross GP this year

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
Interesting - can imagine an MX track is the best place for a pedal assist race, unless they are talking about more powerful bikes?

Mabman

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Feb 28, 2018
Oregon USA
Interesting - can imagine an MX track is the best place for a pedal assist race, unless they are talking about more powerful bikes?

You gotta start somewhere.....

DB_24_USGP1984Joe-Sloop.jpg

Screen Shot 2019-03-31 at 1.02.22 PM.png

Let's face it, if something has two wheels and a motor it is going to get raced. Putting the concept in front of a large an audience as possible will only fan the flames.

AdamDuckworth

Mar 3, 2019
Northamptonshire, UK
You gotta start somewhere.....

View attachment 12514
View attachment 12515
Let's face it, if something has two wheels and a motor it is going to get raced. Putting the concept in front of a large an audience as possible will only fan the flames.
Great old pic from MXA or MBA? I have raced motocross at Carlsbad a few times... Would hate to try to ride a mountain bike around it! (And it's not there any more... now built on, sadly).

Mabman

Feb 28, 2018
Oregon USA
Is this a UCI sanctioned world cup or are they making there own up.

"The first ever FIM E-XBike World Cup"
"Our goal is to develop the FIM E-X Bike World Cup for all customers and riders who want to enjoy racing on an extreme circuit in front of a massive crowd and with a great media coverage."
"The racing will be opened to anyone with an electric bicycle."

I would say the FIM wants in on the action. Interesting that they don't specify anything other than "an electric bicycle". While most would assume EU compliant pedelecs the FIM may have ideas of more powerful models being allowed. YTBD. If they do go to other than legal power limits they will have to have some parameters though for the bicycle class otherwise there won't end up being any difference between it and the eMX class other than a set of cranks

And yes that pic is from the MBA archives. I was actually looking for a pic of Mike "too tall" Bell riding on a super cross track back in the day when they had a race at one of those that I was reminded of when I saw the track format mentioned above. Regardless it seems that the FIM is all about exposure and that overall for eMTB's will be yuge:

“Youthstream will put all its TV and Media resources to promote as much as possible this new competition. The first FIM E-XBike World Cup will be broadcasted live on our OTT Platforms, MXGP-TV.com, and our Facebook MXGP Page that has more than 2.5 Million followers.”

AdamDuckworth

Mar 3, 2019
Northamptonshire, UK
It's run under the FIM = the motorcycle federation. So yes, they're making their own up!
And with all the rules about power limits - USA spec vs Euro spec etc - they're going to open a whole new can of worms for sure!

Mabman

Feb 28, 2018
Oregon USA
More race news.

First UCI World Champions for E-Mountain bike to be crowned in Mont-Saint-Anne

"Under the UCI Regulations, an E-MTB is a bike operated by two energy sources: human pedal power and an electric engine. The engine must only provide assistance while the rider is pedaling, except for start-up assistance when a speed not exceeding 6km/h is permitted.

The bike’s engine must produce a maximum of 250 watts, providing assistance of no more than 25km/h."

I wonder what bikes they will be riding?

Mabman

Feb 28, 2018
Oregon USA
At least this one makes sense as it was put out on the 1st

https://www.cxmagazine.com/uci-announces-first-gravel-eracing-world-championships-esports

Unless the UCI changes it's wording in regards to watt output they will be hard up to find anyone that has a bike to play by the rules. I know they are trying to limit it to EU reg bikes but it clearly states 250w maximum which as the UCI is all about the letter of the law seems not all that well thought out.

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
There have already been a few races this year under the UCI rules, and the riders are not eh usall suspects. EMTB racing has been big for th last season or so over in mainland Europe, with some big names participating

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles