E-bike speed restrictions (agree or disagree )

Streddaz

Jul 7, 2022
Tasmania
yet i have had my bike with a dongle since 2014 no one gives a shit pmsl
I'm pretty bloody sure you have pissed a whole lot of people since 2014. And yes, you may not have been pulled up by the police for having a dongle or for your riding like and idiot but that doesn't make it right.
It's like saying that you have been robbing banks for the last 20 years, and because you haven't been arrested, it must be ok.

Being a dick in public just creates a stereotype that other riders don't want to be associated with. It would be fine if everyone that seen you riding knew that it was Shockwave and everyone knows he's a menace but they don't, they see a cyclist, and it will leave the impression that we all ride like that. That intern leads to laws and restrictions being placed on all cyclists or even Ebikes in general, and that's not good for anyone.

Jamsxr

E*POWAH Master
Mar 30, 2019
Surrey

A video that manages to to be totally dull and reckless at the same time is quite and achievement.

This just supports the"male idiot theory" (MIT). Frankly, restrictions or not, people like this are always going to exist.

FYI - for me the US limit of 20mph is perfect, the U.K./EU 15.5mph is pretty restrictive on an eMTB. In my experience the majority of riders in the U.K. have de restricted their bikes.

Streddaz

Jul 7, 2022
Tasmania
A video that manages to to be totally dull and reckless at the same time is quite and achievement.

This just supports the"male idiot theory" (MIT). Frankly, restrictions or not, people like this are always going to exist.

FYI - for me the US limit of 20mph is perfect, the U.K./EU 15.5mph is pretty restrictive on an eMTB. In my experience the majority of riders in the U.K. have de restricted their bikes.
I agree, a few mph quicker would not be the end of the world. I just wouldn't like to see a bike doing 30mph up a single track climb.

ilostmypassword

Apr 5, 2022
New Zealand
I'd love more speed TBH as I max out the 32KMPH on my Trance X1 very quickly both on flat and off road. Even 10 more KMPH would help. So annoying when you are powering along and it feels like someone is pulling on the rear of the bike. Meanwhile non Ebikes are flying along! I don't get the speed restriction thing- well at how low it is set to anyway.

Streddaz

Jul 7, 2022
Tasmania
I'd love more speed TBH as I max out the 32KMPH on my Trance X1 very quickly both on flat and off road. Even 10 more KMPH would help. So annoying when you are powering along and it feels like someone is pulling on the rear of the bike. Meanwhile non Ebikes are flying along! I don't get the speed restriction thing- well at how low it is set to anyway.
There's 32kph on the flat and there's 32kph up a hill, you're not going to do that speed up a hill on a normal bike and I'd be very surprised if you actually could sustain 32kph for more than a few meters. That's a solid cruising speed on a road bike on tarmac.

It comes down to where you use the bike. If you are riding dedicated mountain bike trails then you would rarely hit the speed cut except on descents, and then you have gravity to assist you. I only ever hit the 25kph limit on flat going on flat fire roads and you wouldn't be going that much faster on a normal bike anyway. This also where the light weight Ebikes are better as that speed cut is no where near a noticeable as it is on a full powered Ebike.

yorkshire89

E*POWAH Master
Sep 30, 2020
North Yorkshire
yet i have had my bike with a dongle since 2014 no one gives a shit pmsl

I think these people give a shit. Guy minding his own business has to jump out of the way at the last minute...

1661319460017.png

Then coming upto a red light with a mum pushing a pram, you make no attempt to slow down and she has to change direction to avoid you??

1661319666210.png

So much shit riding in the space of 30 seconds. You should be embarassed posting that!

Streddaz

Jul 7, 2022
Tasmania
I think these people give a shit. Guy minding his own business has to jump out of the way at the last minute...

View attachment 95626

Then coming upto a red light with a mum pushing a pram, you make no attempt to slow down and she has to change direction to avoid you??

View attachment 95627

So much shit riding in the space of 30 seconds. You should be embarassed posting that!
And yet he's not, and even proud of doing over 50kph when doing shit like this. Woop dee doo.
You're no hero Shockwave😒

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
After the negative reactions the last time he posted that video I almost felt sorry for him. Surely he'd delete it realising what a totally negligent selfish knob he'd been ? ... nope .. He seems to relish in having no regard for other humans entering into his world or even all the ones he'll affect via his actions.

If you were to dream up and make the most ridiculous film you could - to try to introduce or enforce bike speed limits, assistance limits and motor power limits - this would be it ! Or even to just have any assisted bike classed as a motor cycle !

In theory, the power limits already inhibit the realistic speed which would be possible when de-restricted for many people.

You'd then imagine that relying on people's common sense would mean you wouldn't need an assist limit. Unfortunately, you see this and realise that we often underestimate the actual level of "Moron" some people have achieved and sadly realise why we have to have enforced limits, even if the moron ignores them to the detriment of everyone else.

In the meantime, how many of those shockwave victims got back in their road tanks and took out their newly formed hatred of cyclists out on other innocents just trying to get home, get to work, peacefully enjoying life and the world.

It's an apt username @shockwave - you spread hate, fear, anger, frustration beyond what you see and you clearly don't see very far beyond yourself.

ebikeZA

Apr 2, 2018
Cape Town
Both ..
My ebike I keep in the city where I ride trails and share roads , no
My ebike on the farm where only I have access to the trails I've build , Yes

Pascal Funk

Apr 2, 2020
France
OK, but the road bikes that pass at 50 km/h in front of my house?
And 70-year-old Grandma Germaine taking the Montmartre descent at 40 km/h on her 30-year-old bicycle. Smooth tires, worn brake pads, etc.?
While we have a rigid frame, big brakes, good tires (A bike maintained to perfection)
25 km/h is too little to incorporate into city traffic, limited to 30 km/h.
Lawmakers are never on an E-Bike!
PS: 32 km/h would be enough for me :)

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Asshats are going to do what they want. If you really want to watch some crazy riding on fixed gear bikes with no brakes.
I think that's just an excerpt from a film ? In fairness they're bike messengers riding like they do everyday of their lives for a living. At least they're actually on the road 99% of the time (maybe not going the right way ......) but they do say excuse me to get past people.

The difference is they're not on the equivalent of an electric motocross bike riding as fast as possible through pedestrian areas expecting everyone to get out of their way as if they're in a video game. Mr Moron in this thread rides twice as fast where there are people as he does on the road - he's not in a hurry, he's not about to save someones life - he's just dangerous.

rod9301

Oct 10, 2020
US
And i spend my winters in France, hard to find anyone that's not on a e mtn bike there.

Incredible how insult the us is

KnollyBro

E*POWAH Elite
Dec 3, 2020
Vancouver
As mentioned, we don't seem to have to many accoustic riders complaining about emtb'r riding around here on the West Coast/North Shore in Canada but it is still up to us to be ambassadors of the emtb community and give any other interest groups any reason to be legitimately upset about us sharing the trails. As long as we help maintain the trail network by doing trail days or supporting the local organizations that do with donations, the only thing that will stop us from being accepted is when emtb riders act dangerously or even try to embarrass other riders. My emtb can go fast enough on the FSR or climbing trails to give me the workout I want and I am alway polite to other riders if I pass them. If I wanted to go faster and race around and pass people, I would have stayed in moto-X.

Streddaz

Jul 7, 2022
Tasmania
As mentioned, we don't seem to have to many accoustic riders complaining about emtb'r riding around here on the West Coast/North Shore in Canada but it is still up to us to be ambassadors of the emtb community and give any other interest groups any reason to be legitimately upset about us sharing the trails. As long as we help maintain the trail network by doing trail days or supporting the local organizations that do with donations, the only thing that will stop us from being accepted is when emtb riders act dangerously or even try to embarrass other riders. My emtb can go fast enough on the FSR or climbing trails to give me the workout I want and I am alway polite to other riders if I pass them. If I wanted to go faster and race around and pass people, I would have stayed in moto-X.
Bang on the money there(y)
From what I have witnessed, the antiEbike thing is getting less as they become more common but as KnollyBro said, we need to be seen to be doing the right thing by the rest of the community or we'll loose these awesome places we like to ride. I have still seen comments on social media calling out Ebikes for cutting up muddy trails (like people never did the wrong thing before Ebikes🙄) but as you said, turning up to build days, and being active in the MTB community will help change that negative opinion.

michael.kozera

New Dad ! 👶
Feb 3, 2021
calgary
i regularly go 60-80km/hr on my ebike on city bike paths, and i hate the fact that most ebikes are restricted.

however, that being said,

i use Downhill 220mm/200mm quad piston brakes, and i can stop on a dime. i always have my brake levers covered. i will slow down to 30-40km/hr when passing people and i will give them plenty of space, sometimes even riding on the grass to give them 2m+ of distance from me. same thing with crossing streets, ill slow down to 20km/hr and look both ways 3 to 4 times. and if there are kids involved ill go even slower, just to be sure.

the only 2 exceptions to this i have is passing pregnant and/or old person, ill slow right down to 10km/hr. or when passing those road biking fa#$@@$#ts with the skin tight racing suits, i blow past those c$%ks at 90km/hr sometimes, cuz they have no friends and no souls.

Last edited:

KnollyBro

E*POWAH Elite
Dec 3, 2020
Vancouver
i regularly go 60-80km/hr on my ebike on city bike paths, and i hate the fact that most ebikes are restricted.

however, that being said,

i use Downhill 220mm/200mm quad piston brakes, and i can stop on a dime. i always have my brake levers covered. i will slow down to 30-40km/hr when passing people and i will give them plenty of space, sometimes even riding on the grass to give them 2m+ of distance from me. same thing with crossing streets, ill slow down to 20km/hr and look both ways 3 to 4 times. and if there are kids involved ill go even slower, just to be sure.

the only 2 exceptions to this i have is passing pregnant and/or old person, ill slow right down to 10km/hr. or when passing those road biking fa#$@@$#ts with the skin tight racing suits, i blow past those c$%ks at 90km/hr sometimes, cuz they have no friends and no souls.

@shockwave is that you using another account? I see you are from Calgary (Redneck capital of Canada) and sound like you don't ride mountain bikes but you couldn't possibly have read the contents of this Forum Post (let alone the last few pages) and written all that with any intention of trying to impress anyone :rolleyes:.

michael.kozera

New Dad ! 👶
Feb 3, 2021
calgary
@shockwave is that you using another account? I see you are from Calgary (Redneck capital of Canada) and sound like you don't ride mountain bikes but you couldn't possibly have read the contents of this Forum Post (let alone the last few pages) and written all that with any intention of trying to impress anyone :rolleyes:.

no idea who you are referring to.

as for red neck capitol, that would be Edmonton, we here in calgary are far more sophisticated..... however, if your going off of average population IQ then i would suggest Ottawa and /or Toronto would be to trash can of canada for obvious reasons.

ilostmypassword

Apr 5, 2022
New Zealand
There's 32kph on the flat and there's 32kph up a hill, you're not going to do that speed up a hill on a normal bike and I'd be very surprised if you actually could sustain 32kph for more than a few meters. That's a solid cruising speed on a road bike on tarmac.

It comes down to where you use the bike. If you are riding dedicated mountain bike trails then you would rarely hit the speed cut except on descents, and then you have gravity to assist you. I only ever hit the 25kph limit on flat going on flat fire roads and you wouldn't be going that much faster on a normal bike anyway. This also where the light weight Ebikes are better as that speed cut is no where near a noticeable as it is on a full powered Ebike.
I hit the 32kph on the flat very easily actually and can cruise at that point for as long as needed. The speed restrictions definitely hold me back.

KnollyBro

E*POWAH Elite
Dec 3, 2020
Vancouver
I hit the 32kph on the flat very easily actually and can cruise at that point for as long as needed. The speed restrictions definitely hold me back.
Interesting. What kind of bike do you ride and where do you like to ride? Surely you are not blowing by walkers, hikers, dogs and other acoustic bikes at that speed?

Rusty

E*POWAH BOSS
Jul 17, 2019
New Zealand

I hate to tell you, but my time on my road training ride on my singlespeed just a few years ago was over 30kph average. My road bike speed was only about 1.5kph faster average for the 1hr loop. Most of the trails I ride, my times on my singlespeed or my 12x2 Scott Genius are faster than on my ebike - not because I am older, but because I could hammer short flat bits at 40kph and this is on decent groomed singletrack.
On the track my club uses for our summer race series I am quicker overall on the eMTB for 2 laps, but am maxed out a lot, where I would hit 42-44kph on the Genius.

RipGroove

Jun 3, 2022
Glos/UK
Disagree with the current UK limit, mainly because I seem to naturally plod along on the flat at 16mph so I'm constantly getting the motor kicking in and out.

But also it can be a real pain when wanting to do a quick sprint on the flat or down hill. Non ebikes are much quicker on the flat I've found so unless I really go for it I get left behind by non ebikes.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles