E bike specific parts are just a gimmick?

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
I would say that tyres are the only parts I would not swap between my bikes and the ebike. 2,35 are good on the bike but are not enough for the ebike, and, the 2,6 that go well on the ebike, I would never drag that around without assistance.
I run a 2.35 (Minion SS) or 2.4 (DHRII) on the rear of my Emtb. Have done since I started riding Emtb over 4 years back. Wouldn't ever want a larger volume rear tyre

Sep 18, 2020
Truckee Ca
That's not their marketing angle Alison.
The ergon Ebike saddles have a stupid kick tail style ledge on the back that Ergon says helps weak Ebikers not slide off the back and weight their rear tyre MOAR and gain MOAR grip from their stupid oversized Ebike rear tyres.

In reality the saddle actually impedes body movement required to weight the bike properly and move around the saddle finely altering weight on it to gain grip.

It does help stop weak folk sliding off the back tho. 😂
Wow I cone for honest feedback and too often get stupid bias.

Binhill1

🍊 Tango Man 🍊
Mar 7, 2019
Scotland
Clearly a riding god then eh? 😇 Not only able to stand to climb somewhere with no real technicality but also an armoured head without the need of a helmet. Before you come back with an 'its an easy descent I've done it 100 times' I'll pre-empt your come back with a brief story about how I crashed on my regular loop in the Wyre Forest on possibly the easiest section ever which I could have done blindfolded. I broke my jaw in three places and smashed out my front teeth, the helmet had a crack through the entire depth of it at the front of my head, without which I'm fairly sure I wouldn't have got back up. But hey you must know you won't crash for sure huh or at least dont care if your better half has to feed you soup for the rest of your time. 🤪

Obviously depending on where you ride etc. you can climb for a lot of your ride but to make the marketing statement that manual bikers dont sit as much as ebikers is clearly tosh. If you prefer to stand and climb on your bike it wont make a difference if it has a battery or not! Now feel free to come up to Lakes and try to stand and pedal up some of the vile climbs here, unless you're stood with your bike on your back! 😂
Totally agree standing and cycling is definitely a youngsters fitness thing or a lean lycra clad roadie. . Technical section yes . Not much standing after 65 i can tell you .

GeekEcosse

Oct 24, 2018
Edinburgh
Looked at a e specific KMC chain but happy to simply swap standard KMC X10 once per year as more than half the price. Make sense due to the prolonged increase in torques through the drive train

E specific brake pads make sense due to the increase weight but to be honest bike + me is ~110kg which is not obscene on San analogue. Just need to swap them more often depending on my riding.

Mikehorti

Subscriber
Apr 29, 2021
Surrey
I crashed the other day with no helmet on . I did a pretty good commando roll . And only lost a little bit of skin of an ankle . Yeh i was wearing thongs . I was pretty proud of my ability to jump over the boulder my head was heading for . Happy days .
Another tale of survival in thongs. Jandles and flip flops take note!

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
@R120 posted an awesome E-specific saddle a while ago. Looks nice and comfy. 👍🏻. Link? I know there’s some exaggerated points but I would just ignored any jealous stares. 😉

2C26CE23-F6A6-4EE6-8787-A13462E33A7D.jpeg

Slowroller

Founding Member
Jan 15, 2018
Wyoming
Ebike specific branded parts aren't a gimmick, they're a well proven method of separating people from their money.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles