Ebike specific chains or just go standard?

Jan 2, 2021
South Wales
Hey,

What are you thoughts on ebike specific chains i.e. KMC e11 EPT or is it just marketing nonsense and standard 11 speed chains will do?

Also, I have a bit of a coloured theme going on with the bike and I've seen an Oil Slick/Rainbow YBN chain on AliExpress for £20, am I just asking for trouble or is it worth a punt?

Muchass grassyass!

Kernow

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
Cornwall uk
I was using the kmc e11 on my last ebike , they did seem to last longer . Got a couple on the shelf if you get stuck finding one . Plain silver , i wouldn’t pay extra for bling colours when it’s covered in crud most of the time

Richywalker64

Nov 14, 2020
Hartlepool
I've only use one KMC ebike specific chain and it cost almost double but didn't seem to last any longer than a regular chain.
I've started using Shimano SLX chain and cassettes which are cheaper and original fitment on my bike (Merida e160 800).
I wait untill Chain reaction have a sale on so I always have a spare.

Kernow

Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
Cornwall uk
I've only use one KMC ebike specific chain and it cost almost double but didn't seem to last any longer than a regular chain.
I've started using Shimano SLX chain and cassettes which are cheaper and original fitment on my bike (Merida e160 800).
I wait untill Chain reaction have a sale on so I always have a spare.
Was it a fair test , one chain . it’s easy to put one chain on wear it out in the winter then another in spring that seems to last longer , but it’s the conditions that have changed not the chain life . Strength isn’t the issue they are all strong enough but I did base my experiences over a few years on 5 bikes that were in constant use and two being ridden to death by racers eating a chain a month

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
eBike chains are a great example of marketing adding stickers to a product to capture market share.

I bought 2 SLX 11 speed chains last year. They were absolutely identical, right down to the bar code and part number but one was clearly marked as an eBike chain on the packaging.

Beekeeper

🍯Honey Monster🍯
Aug 6, 2019
Surrey hills
My normal KMC chain wears out once a year and when replacing it, it gives me an excuse to change the main bearing seal and apply fresh Bosch tacky grease underneath just before winter arrives. I would therefore not want a longer lasting chain.

Richywalker64

Nov 14, 2020
Hartlepool
Was it a fair test , one chain . it’s easy to put one chain on wear it out in the winter then another in spring that seems to last longer , but it’s the conditions that have changed not the chain life . Strength isn’t the issue they are all strong enough but I did base my experiences over a few years on 5 bikes that were in constant use and two being ridden to death by racers eating a chain a month
Yeah true it wasn't a very scientific test, I can't remember if it was winter time but I do use the bike all year round in some horrendous conditions but if I remember correctly I snapped the chain.

knut7

Administrator
Author
Subscriber
Apr 10, 2018
Norway
Connect 3 different chains together to make one chain and then measure wear of each one periodically. Completely fair test. I’m pretty sure @knut7 did something like this and made a video on here about it.
Thanks, always nice to be remembered :)

I did a review of an ebike specific 10s Shimano chain vs a cheap KMC quite some time ago. Have done a couple of Shimano 12s reviews since.

Kernow

Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
Cornwall uk
eBike chains are a great example of marketing adding stickers to a product to capture market share.

I bought 2 SLX 11 speed chains last year. They were absolutely identical, right down to the bar code and part number but one was clearly marked as an eBike chain on the packaging.
Doesn’t surprise me I wasn’t aware shimano were marketing an ebike specific chain , I guess they’ve got to keep up with the trends .
I think in general we were finding kmc chains lasting longer , it’s more about price now , prices have gone up so much , I was getting stuff at cost a year or two back from my daughters sponsor , that’s all gone now as have the chain reaction discounted stuff

Kernow

Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
Cornwall uk
Thanks, always nice to be remembered :)

I did a review of an ebike specific 10s Shimano chain vs a cheap KMC quite some time ago. Have done a couple of Shimano 12s reviews since.
Great test can’t argue with that , back up what we thought running both makes . Be interesting to do same test with kmc ebike and normal chain , then a sram chain as well

GrandesRoues

Jul 26, 2019
Alpes Françaises
In my experience on non-EMtb chains, lubrification plays a major part in wear.
I now swear by Wax, and have thown away my vast collection of oily lubricants i used to use.
I haven't use homemade wax yet, and use Squrit. They have put out a special formula for ebikes. Anybody tested it ?

Last edited:

Kernow

Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
Cornwall uk
In my experience on non-EMtb chains, lubrification plays a major part in wear.
I now swear by Wax, and have thown away my vast collection of oily lubricants is used to use.
I haven't use homemade wax yet, and use Squrit. They have put out a special formula for ebikes. Anybody tested it ?
A local cycle hire uses wurth motorcycle dry chain wax and swears by it on the gravel trails for the basic hire bikes . I tried it for a while but wasn’t so impressed made my gears feel stiff and built up in the cassette worse than oil

GrandesRoues

Jul 26, 2019
Alpes Françaises
Kernow : you should give Squirt a proper test...
But to do so, you need an absolute immaculate clean chain (and cogs).
For the chain, i use 3 consecutive baths to deep clean it, first petrol, than degreaser, then alcool. The chain must be 100% oil free for the wax to get a good grip on the metal.
After that, it's pure pleasure, at the end of the ride, lightly clean the chain with a rag (if needed), pour some squirt on the inside of the chain, and that's it. Repeat until chain elongation reach the limit.

Ddc6284

Oct 30, 2018
Saint Louis MO
I've tried many chains. Have a 2019 Levo and a Flx hardtail using the Bafang Ultra 1500w max.

Sram XX1 is by far the best chains I've used. Last much longer etc. They're thinner but for some reason they have worked great for me. My hardtail is 120 newton meters I believe & it likes to eat up chains.

I just seen a company advertising Ebike helmets and clothing. Companys just trying to cash in on new or unexperienced/informed Ebikers.

Just my two cents.

Rosemount

E*POWAH Elite
May 23, 2020
Qld Australia
I've tried many chains. Have a 2019 Levo and a Flx hardtail using the Bafang Ultra 1500w max.

Sram XX1 is by far the best chains I've used. Last much longer etc. They're thinner but for some reason they have worked great for me. My hardtail is 120 newton meters I believe & it likes to eat up chains.

I just seen a company advertising Ebike helmets and clothing. Companys just trying to cash in on new or unexperienced/informed Ebikers.

Just my two cents.

XO1 is where hardened pins start .
But ,,,, they cost 3 times as much . So 3 x cheap chains and hope they don`t skip when you change ,or 1 x expensive chain and wear out the whole drive train together ?

Ddc6284

Oct 30, 2018
Saint Louis MO
XO1 is where hardened pins start .
But ,,,, they cost 3 times as much . So 3 x cheap chains and hope they don`t skip when you change ,or 1 x expensive chain and wear out the whole drive train together ?

I totally see your point. I'm just saying... I don't mind paying $ for a chain, I know will last 2 maybe 3 times longer... Plus I like the bling. After all... I spent a a fortune on my rig what's $80

Istari

Jan 6, 2021
Poland
As mentioned above there was a good knut7 chain test on youtube. On Cyclingtips.com there are also very professional Chain tests and Chain lube tests.

Wax based lubes seems to work best (eg. Squirt)
Shimano xtr and sram xx1 12 speed chains works very nice and if you use kmc chain with shimano shifting you will loose hyperglide shifting under power.

Last edited:

DrStupid

Patreon
Jul 10, 2019
Pleasureville Ky
The Connex stainless SE chains are legitimate. Super expensive, yes, but legitimately durable too.

I found an open box Connex-11Se for about 1/2 price on eBay, and could not resist to buy-it-now. The chain came without the connex link ?.

The chain, I believe, will live longer than the cassette I paired it with. I may have to replace the cassette if I want to see this chain worn past 5%. It even made it through a Kentucky winter mud fest.

20210317_113121.jpg

Would I pay $80 for it... nope. I'd buy 3 or 4 mortal chains, and rotate them in and out.

Kernow

Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
Cornwall uk
The Connex stainless SE chains are legitimate. Super expensive, yes, but legitimately durable too.

I found an open box Connex-11Se for about 1/2 price on eBay, and could not resist to buy-it-now. The chain came without the connex link ?.

The chain, I believe, will live longer than the cassette I paired it with. I may have to replace the cassette if I want to see this chain worn past 5%. It even made it through a Kentucky winter mud fest.

View attachment 55956

Would I pay $80 for it... nope. I'd buy 3 or 4 mortal chains, and rotate them in and out.
Ha ha looking through your back wheel at the perfectly centred wheel behind in that pic , took me a moment to work out what it was , though you had some special top secret gadget on the rear wheel ? maybe Iam just going nuts ?

DrStupid

Patreon
Jul 10, 2019
Pleasureville Ky
Ha ha looking through your back wheel at the perfectly centred wheel behind in that pic , took me a moment to work out what it was , though you had some special top secret gadget on the rear wheel ? maybe Iam just going nuts ?
It is top secret. You are nuts.

Seriously, the garage is chaos. My phone captured a bit of it.

Bacalao

Oct 24, 2019
SoCal

View attachment 55956

1,500 miles on chain. Riding a Levo. I follow the Oz Cycling clean and wax regimen. Practically no wear. Not even 0.5 yet. I’ve ridden Connex on road and mtb bikes for 20 plus years. Connex link makes cleaning and maintenance ridiculously easy.

RickBullotta

Jun 5, 2019
USA
Peak power of a strong rider is same or more than peak power of a typical eMTB rider even on boost. No need for eMTB specific chains IMO. Chainrings yes. And if Shimano HG rear, a steel freehub body.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles