Ebike specific chains or just go standard?

bluerich

Jan 17, 2021
South Yorks
Do you have XT 12 speed crankset and chainring, that is allegedly where the issue lies. There’s loads of discussions on pink bike. My ebike is xt 12 speed with praxis arms and ring, and originally had a KMC ebike chain. This was swapped for SLX chain, but with a KMC quick link, something picked up on one of the forum discussions as people were having issues running Shimano 12 speed chains on non Shimano chainrings.

bluerich

Jan 17, 2021
South Yorks
I also have a Ripmo with a basket case drivetrain. NX cassette, Xtr/Xt shifter and derailleur, XX1 crankset and ring, KMC chain. Shifts great, nice and smooth.

Kernow

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
Cornwall uk
I killed a KMC 12 speed ebike chain in 350 miles. This poor wear rate is confirmed by Chain Testing - Zero Friction Cycling
Switched to 12 speed SLX as they were half the price. Not snapped so, happy days. Also research confirms high end SRAM are the longer lasting.
I think knut 7 test above is far more real world than those tests . What does he do spin them to death with an electric motif and create heat and friction wear that workday never occur . All he’s testing is his own lubrication application . He’s got different results with chains that are essentially the same , so scientific , but so unrealistic

bluerich

Jan 17, 2021
South Yorks
No, has them in a pulley system and drips oil and grit/sand mix on them ? if you look at the tables, he’s getting decent mileage out of them compared to real life. Chain wear is mainly down to riding conditions and a poor cleaning/maintenance regime. Chains that look clean on the plates are invariably filthy and full of grinding material when put through a sonic cleaner. A £50 chain every 10-15 rides is a bit extreme!! There’s lots of thoughts regarding chain lubrication, however the chain wax idea is, as far as I understand is clean the chain after a two hour run in so it’s spotless, apply hot chain wax to provide lubrication to the pins and rollers which create a barrier to prevent contamination getting in to these areas. Reapply when it’s dirty or have fallen off/deteriorated. I have a winter hardtail that I abuse and it used to eat drivetrains getting ridden three times a week with just a bit of air in the tyres. However I have a 2015 Spectral that is still on its first cassette and third/forth chain.

Mini si

Dec 31, 2020
Derbyshire
So do we need to be buying eBike specific cassettes or do standard ones work as well and save money in the same way standard chains do?

Rosemount

E*POWAH Elite
May 23, 2020
Qld Australia
Cube and Specialized use NX 12 spd cassettes .

Fully steel . Also had a Cube with Shimano 11 sp with XT shifter , mech , brakes . SLX cassette though .

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles