Dropper post for Stereo Hybrid 120 Pro?

salubrious_k

May 8, 2021
London
Hello all, I'm hoping to get a Stereo Hybrid 120 Pro delivered early next week (not for me - this one is for my very lucky family!).

One of the first things I want to do is to fit a dropper post. I know that I'll want a 30.9mm post, and I won't want much travel (my wife and daughter won't need much for the size of the bike - and their size!) but should I get internal or external routing?

Has anyone with a Stereo Hybrid fit a dropper post before? Any other advice or tips for a newbie?

Riotsloth

Sep 16, 2018
Haywards Heath
hello

I have ordered an X-Fusion Manic Dropper Seatpost (150mm/30.9) but haven't received it yet. I will look at fitting but may just get LBS to do it. I will let you know once it's fitted! I think it's internal routing and it cost £179.

KennyB

E*POWAH Master
Aug 25, 2019
Taunton
Same price as a One Up which I changed to after atrocious service from the x-fusion importer. I am delighted with the design, build, serviceability and customer service of One Up.
PS, lever is extra, to be fair.
PPS, I have a Brand-X on my bio fuelled bike which I am also delighted with.

salubrious_k

May 8, 2021
London
Ah! I have an update. I fitted an internally routed dropper post about a week ago.

I got Crank Brothers Highline 3 with internal routing in the end as I wanted something with 100mm of travel.

The internal routing was fairly straight forward. It took me about an hour. There's a special housing for internally routing cables above the battery. And on the Stereo Hybrid 120 there's a little rubberised panel you can remove above the hub that made it easy to angle the cable housing around the bend and up the seat tube.

The only challenge was I wanted the dropper remote on the left (as per usual) but it made more sense to route the cable into the downtube through the opening on the left-hand side of the bike (as there was a gap there - the right hand side have two cables already). For cabling reasons it would have probably been better to cross the cockpit and route it into the right-hand side of the bike. But with a few zip ties to attach it to other cables I think I've put the right amount of slack into cable to keep it tidy but still have maximum movement in the handlebars.

Riotsloth

Sep 16, 2018
Haywards Heath
My dropper post arrived unexpectedly today! So I just finished fitting it. It was a bit of a faff as I have never fitted one before, but not too bad. The remote is on the left and the cable routed down the right side through the little housing which had a spare cut-out for a second cable. The instructions were somewhat vague - I couldn't figure out how to get the cable the right length initially. but then realised you have to not connect the remote to the handlebars until the seat post is attached and in the frame.

Overall took me about an hour I reckon. As everyone loves a photo, here's a couple showing my dropper post. tempImage0AdIPE.png tempImagef4Oc90.png

salubrious_k

May 8, 2021
London
Looks great! Love the colour of your Cube too!

I took these the other day, after you asked, and then forgot to post them. Doh!

Oh well... I'll post them now for the next person. These photos are more of the routing - 1) entering the frame 2) coming through the top of the downtube 3) leaving the bottom of the downtube 4) with the soft rubber access panel removed - you can see where I was able to bend the cable up the seat tube.

IMG_1264.jpg

IMG_1269.jpg
\
IMG_1270.jpg

IMG_1268.jpg

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles