Cube Stereo Hybrid 120 Pro 625 (2022) - problem

Feb 24, 2023
Greece

I have an issue with my electric bike.
The bike I have is the Cube Stereo Hybrid 120 Pro 625 Flashgrey 'n' Orange - 2022 (Bosch Drive Unit Performance CX Generation 4 (85Nm) Cruise (250Watt)). The bike has only travelled in total 370 km.

A short time ago, I noticed while riding my e-bike, that when I pedal backwards and then right away Ι pedal normally, I sense a slight bumb and a very small gap which I sense that it comes somewhere from the axle connecting the pedals. This small bump - gap happens only when I pedal backwards and then right away Ι pedal normally and right before the assist activates.
The same problem occurs when I pedal backwards and then normally, with the electric assist off.
This issue did not exist initially.
Is it normal for this to happen?
Is there anyone having the same problem?

My dealership has checked the rear cassette, sprockets and chain (he has changed the entire rear wheel) and the problem still remains. Also he has checked the pedals.

The Cube dealership told me that maybe the problem is with the Bosch motor and specifically with the clutch inside the Bosch motor.
Does anyone have any idea why this might be happening?
Is there any chance that the problem is the clutch inside the Bosch motor?
The Bosch diagnostic test appears these errors?
Thank you in advance.

MikeH

Feb 26, 2023
Stone

The bike I have is the Cube Stereo Hybrid 120 Pro 625 Flashgrey 'n' Orange - 2022 (Bosch Drive Unit Performance CX Generation 4 (85Nm) Cruise (250Watt)). The bike has only travelled in total 370 km.

A short time ago, I noticed while riding my e-bike, that when I pedal backwards and then right away Ι pedal normally, I sense a slight bumb and a very small gap which I sense that it comes somewhere from the axle connecting the pedals. This small bump - gap happens only when I pedal backwards and then right away Ι pedal normally and right before the assist activates.
The same problem occurs when I pedal backwards and then normally, with the electric assist off.

My dealership has checked the rear cassette, sprockets and chain (he has changed the entire rear wheel) and the problem still remains. Also he has checked the pedals.

The Cube dealership told me that maybe the problem is with the Bosch motor and specifically with the clutch inside the Bosch motor.
Thank you in advance.
Alexander
I had a similar problem today. Only the forward rotation of the pedals locked permanently (I had a 8.5 mile walk down the Monsal Trail in Derbyshire. Has anyone else experienced this and more importantly - WHAT IS THE SOLUTION.MikeH

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth

Thank you in advance.
why are you pedalling backwards??

Feb 24, 2023
Greece
Alexander
I had a similar problem today. Only the forward rotation of the pedals locked permanently (I had a 8.5 mile walk down the Monsal Trail in Derbyshire. Has anyone else experienced this and more importantly - WHAT IS THE SOLUTION.MikeH
why are you pedalling backwards??
For no particular reason. When for example I have reached a certain speed. I forgot to mention that the same problem occurs when I simply stop pedaling (while the bike is moving) and Ι start pedaling again.

pearlex

Jul 10, 2023
Koper Slovenia
Hi,

Did you find out what the problem was? I just bought a Stereo hybrid 140 TM, and I believe I have exactly the same issue after 60-80 km :D I mean, nothing serious, just it would be good to know if I have to bring it back or if it's a warranty issue, etc.

Feb 24, 2023
Greece
Hi,

Did you find out what the problem was? I just bought a Stereo hybrid 140 TM, and I believe I have exactly the same issue after 60-80 km :D I mean, nothing serious, just it would be good to know if I have to bring it back or if it's a warranty issue, etc.
Hi,
I have not been able to find what the problem is and if there is a problem with the motor after all. The shop I bought it from, brought a new bike with exactly the same motor and the bike had exactly the same clutch behavior as mine. So, I realized that there is probably not a problem with the motor or with some other component. I think on my bike it wasn't there in the first place but it appeared after some kilometers. Also, the dealership couldn't check it with the Bosch diagnostic tool, because the USB dongle isn't available yet. If you finally have any other information on the issue (if this is an issue), I would like you to inform me about it. Thank you very much.

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
with the exception of @MikeH .....which sounds like a freehub issue.................I would say the other reports here are merely the sprag clutch in the motor re-engaging. If you pedal backwards with the Bosch CX your hear it ratchetting in a similar way to the freehub when freewheeling albeit rather more robust given you are reversing a mechanism which is primarilly designed to either freewheel ( when not pedalling) or engage when pedalling.

Feb 24, 2023
Greece
with the exception of @MikeH .....which sounds like a freehub issue.................I would say the other reports here are merely the sprag clutch in the motor re-engaging. If you pedal backwards with the Bosch CX your hear it ratchetting in a similar way to the freehub when freewheeling albeit rather more robust given you are reversing a mechanism which is primarilly designed to either freewheel ( when not pedalling) or engage when pedalling.
Thank you very much. I also hear the sprag clutch less, when I'm not pedaling (while the bike is moving), and I start pedaling again.

pearlex

Jul 10, 2023
Koper Slovenia
Update: My parents bought two Kathmandu Hybrid ABS. They have exactly the same motor, I tried both of them and they are also doing the same clicks so I assume it's indeed normal.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles