Cube Stereo Hybrid 120 Pro 625 2021??

Jasonx

Jan 31, 2021
South Wales
Hi. I'm after some feedback on regarding the Cube Stereo Hybrid 120 Pro 625 2021model.
It's priced at £3199 which is hundred pound under my budget.
What i'd like to know is are they worth the price?

It will be my first e bike and i'll be wanting to use it mostly on forest paths and some cross country trails, roads and bike parks but nothing to extreme. So wondering if the bike will be ok for that kind of riding?
Lastly i ride a carbon Ghost hardtail at the moment which is a large frame with 26" wheels and ive noticed the stereo is a 29er so would i need a smaller frame due to the wheels being bigger? Sorry if that's a silly question ?
And is the 29er better for what i'd like to do or should i be looking at a 27.5 wheel instead?
I'll be grateful for any advice thanks Jason

Planckus

Jan 21, 2021
Denmark
I got that specific bike, and are super happy. First thing to do is to install a dropper, which is super easy with tubes already installed. I don’t ride bikeparks so cannot comment on that, but for everything else i could not wish for more. I really like the way it ride, but due to snow everywhere here, i really haven’t jumped on it. A friend rode mine, and went straight to ordering one just like it. The 29” is much better for XC and riding in the forest, but a little less agile in tight spaces, but a fair Trade-off. I Discovered that riding the saddle a little higher than normal, gave me more control in tight spaces going up, and obviously dropping it going down. Had a L frame before, and was going for an XL this time, but dealer suggested staying with L since there are so many options costumizing the position - Happy i listened to him - L was the correct size for me.

Last edited:

Jasonx

Jan 31, 2021
South Wales
I got that specific bike, and are super happy. First thing to do is to install a dropper, which is super easy with tubes already installed. I don’t ride bikeparks so cannot comment on that, but for everything else i could not wish for more. I really like the way it ride, but due to snow everywhere here, i really haven’t jumped on it. A friend rode mine, and went straight to ordering one just like it. The 29” is much better for XC and riding in the forest, but a little less agile in tight spaces, but a fair Trade-off. I Discovered that riding the saddle a little higher than normal, gave me more control in tight spaces going up, and obviously dropping it going down. Had a L frame before, and was going for an XL this time, but dealer suggested staying with L since there are so many options costumizing the position - Happy i listened to him - L was the correct size for me.
Thanks for the reply. How tall are you? I'm 5.10/5ft.11 my ghost is large 19" frame and 26"wheels. I think the large in the cube stereo is 20" so would i be correct in thinking i should drop to a medium 18" frame due to the bigger 29" wheels or doesn't it work like that?
Thanks

Planckus

Jan 21, 2021
Denmark
Thanks for the reply. How tall are you? I'm 5.10/5ft.11 my ghost is large 19" frame and 26"wheels. I think the large in the cube stereo is 20" so would i be correct in thinking i should drop to a medium 18" frame due to the bigger 29" wheels or doesn't it work like that?
Thanks
I am 188 cm (6.2?) so i believe that medium would be suitable. Not that it is running big in sizes, but you might find yourself between sizes, and the dealer told me straight up: XL is a lot of bike, so for agility go with the lower size since you have the big tires. I used this to find a rough estimate: CUBE Stereo Hybrid 120 Pro 500 lunar´n´grey Go down to the middle of the page, and find "calculate frame size", but you do need to convert to metric units (cm). I am not really sure about the wheelsize vs. framesize, but i found the calculator to be quite spot on :) Don't hesitate to ask if you have questions :)

matt_thebeard

Dec 4, 2020
south wales
hi Jason you wouldnt need to accomodate bigger wheels frame size would be the same regardless of wheel size hope this helps, the descision i would be making is would the 120mm travel be enough for the terrain i want to ride on, the first thing i thought differently about when i had an ebike is how steep an incline or banking can i get up, youll find yourself tackling terrain you would not think about on a non e assisted bike, of course youll want to come down them too, so the question is will i want to go over drop offs at bike parks etc in which case would i need 140mm or even 150mm travel my 150mm was £4200 on last years prices and will cover most obstacles in terms of suspension travel.,, grab a few you tube videos etc on suspension travel it might give you more of an idea as to what capability suits you more,
hope this helps

Planckus

Jan 21, 2021
Denmark
hi Jason you wouldnt need to accomodate bigger wheels frame size would be the same regardless of wheel size hope this helps, the descision i would be making is would the 120mm travel be enough for the terrain i want to ride on, the first thing i thought differently about when i had an ebike is how steep an incline or banking can i get up, youll find yourself tackling terrain you would not think about on a non e assisted bike, of course youll want to come down them too, so the question is will i want to go over drop offs at bike parks etc in which case would i need 140mm or even 150mm travel my 150mm was £4200 on last years prices and will cover most obstacles in terms of suspension travel.,, grab a few you tube videos etc on suspension travel it might give you more of an idea as to what capability suits you more,
hope this helps
I do have a little input to this (remember that i don't ride parks). I have rented several bikes in the alps, and most had more travel, but i choose the 120 because I feel that i have more control, and I also like a harder setup of the airsprings than most, which all leads back to control. Obviously i wouldn't ride warp-speed down a black trail in the alps on a 120 bike (i have a friend that does that in a hardtail - But he is pretty hardcore, and I am not), but for anything but that, I do prefer less travel, with more pressure in the spring. For my riding 120 is spot on, and when i am in the alps on the more hardcore days, i prefer to rent locally (and in most cases you have a lift anyway, so no need for the motor). So where am i going with this? You really want to buy a bike for what you ACTUALLY ride, and not for What you THINK you would love to ride. That being said, 120, 140, 150 or 160 is another case, and i cannot really help you make that decision. I ski a lot, and you kinda see the same phenomenon there... People on raceskis they can hardly turn, or people only doing piste ski, but have 99mm all mountain, which in both scenarios wouldn't benefit either part. 120 might be correct for you, but it might also be totally wrong. Personally i love it for most riding, and do rent if I am walking over to "the dark side" ;-)

Last edited:

matt_thebeard

Dec 4, 2020
south wales
randomly the stereo 140 then its inbetween suspension travel length.(dont forget a 140 will also travel 120) comes with dropper post fitted is actually lighter and better spec'd than the 120 according to cube and its £300 more than your budget but that probably didn't help did it haha

Planckus

Jan 21, 2021
Denmark
randomly the stereo 140 then its inbetween suspension travel length.(dont forget a 140 will also travel 120) comes with dropper post fitted is actually lighter and better spec'd than the 120 according to cube and its £300 more than your budget but that probably didn't help did it haha
I looked at this also due to the weight and the dropper, but I could not find anywhere that had them in stock to try. Actually ended up buying the 120 in Germany, since the danish distributor could give no ETA, and his best guess would be around summer. I would have liked to try it!

matt_thebeard

Dec 4, 2020
south wales
I looked at this also due to the weight and the dropper, but I could not find anywhere that had them in stock to try. Actually ended up buying the 120 in Germany, since the danish distributor could give no ETA, and his best guess would be around summer. I would have liked to try it!
yes sounds like it could have been a close contender doesnt it,
uk stock of ebikes especially cubes is crazy right now isnt it, they have just upped the prices for UK too across the range, that said they were / are incredible value

Planckus

Jan 21, 2021
Denmark
yes sounds like it could have been a close contender doesnt it,
uk stock of ebikes especially cubes is crazy right now isnt it, they have just upped the prices for UK too across the range, that said they were / are incredible value
I am quite happy with the price/performance. In Denmark Cube is one of the brands that are really popular, and are “up there” alongside Trek (same distributor), so they do get sold out fast :-(

billwarwick

E*POWAH Elite
Oct 1, 2018
warwick
Ive got the 120. I moved up from Haibike hardtail with 27.5 wheels. Because of Covid, I haven't been going to the trail centres that I usually go to so haven't ridden anything too tricky yet. For what you are riding, it will be fine as long as you normally don't jump off stupid stuff. I really noticed the difference in weight compared to my old bike. It has also caught me out on tight turns because of the bigger wheels, and the Bosch motor reacts differently to the Yamaha on the Haibike. if this is your first ebike, you probably wont notice the differences that I did. For the money, its a really good bike and if you can get your hands on one, buy it. I was lucky and got mine a few months ago from Leisure Wheels in Hemel Hempstead and was amazed to get a discount on a 2021 model. You live in South Wales, so what are you waiting for?:)

Timmoh

May 18, 2020
Wales
Which supplier? I cannot find one to ship to UK from any EU country since the B word.
My missus wants the exact same bike in size S.
I spoke to a LBS owner today and he said I'd be looking at 18 months to 2 years!!
He did love the sound of his own voice though ?.
Any advice appreciated. BTW, I too feel the 1r9 is good value for 300.notes extra and the standover height is weirdly lower than the 120 Small.

Timmoh

May 18, 2020
Wales
Which supplier? I cannot find one to ship to UK from any EU country since the B word.
I spoke to a LBS owner today and he said I'd be looking at 18 months to 2 years!!
Any advice appreciated. BTW, I too feel the 1r9 is good value for 300.notes extra and the standover height is weirdly lower than the 120 Small.
[/QUOTE
I meant 140 and not the well k own cube 1r9 ?

Planckus

Jan 21, 2021
Denmark
MHW-bike.com :) Don’t know about shipping to the UK!

Riotsloth

Sep 16, 2018
Haywards Heath
Hi there, I have a Cube Stereo Hybrid Pro 120 625 2021 I got brand new in November. I am 5'10" and use it pretty much for thew reasons you stated too. I absolutely love it, it has great range and is really comfy. I can't believe how much difference going from hard-tail to full-sus makes on my (now 50 year old) arse. I couldn't comment about other eMTBs but I am very happy with mine indeed. Can't fault it so far (other than some damage during transit, but that isn't the bikes fault)

Planckus

Jan 21, 2021
Denmark
I just spoke to the LBS today, when I went there earlier today to get some stuff. He told me that he just got plenty of Cubes in stock... also to his own surprise. Maybe the situation is about to improve in the UK too :)

Timmoh

May 18, 2020
Wales
I just spoke to the LBS today, when I went there earlier today to get some stuff. He told me that he just got plenty of Cubes in stock... also to his own surprise. Maybe the situation is about to improve in the UK too :)
What's the name of your Lbs mate?

Jasonx

Jan 31, 2021
South Wales
Hi there, I have a Cube Stereo Hybrid Pro 120 625 2021 I got brand new in November. I am 5'10" and use it pretty much for thew reasons you stated too. I absolutely love it, it has great range and is really comfy. I can't believe how much difference going from hard-tail to full-sus makes on my (now 50 year old) arse. I couldn't comment about other eMTBs but I am very happy with mine indeed. Can't fault it so far (other than some damage during transit, but that isn't the bikes fault)
What size frame? 29 wheels? Thanks

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles