Drivetrain help needed after oops moment

richysgc

Nov 9, 2020
Sunderland
Hoping for some help, i have cleaned my bike down after its last use today, and was in the process of cleaning the chain, was drying chain off with a rag while spinning the chain using walk mode (regret this now) as the rag got caught on the chain and dragged into the jockey wheel, i stopped the motor straight away, and ended up having to take the jockey wheel off to free he rag from the teeth.

After putting the jockey wheel back on i then functioned the bike on the work stand, and noticed that a clicking noise was comming from the chain, noticed that where the chain is in between the jockey wheel and casette it was getting stuck and then jumping free (see video on link) also the gears would not shift down into the smallest cog anymore.

Any one got a idea of how i can sort this out? And yes i have learned my lesson from today ?

LexC

Nov 28, 2020
Cape Town
Make sure the derailleur isn’t bent. Shift down the biggest cog and then make sure the jockey wheels and cog are all inline.

If it’s out a bit try bend it straight

lumpy

🚁 CHOPPER 🚁
Nov 26, 2018
SF Bay Area
Can't tell for sure but if that's SRAM, you may have put the jockey wheel in upside down. They're directional. Upper one will have a "U" facing out, lower will have an "L" facing out.
Also can't tell in the video if you're got the wide/narrow lined up with the chain

richysgc

Nov 9, 2020
Sunderland
Cheers lads ill try all of that in he morning, ill check the jockey wheel in he morning, i only had to take the lower wheel off, i thought i had it on the right way but could have made a mistake.

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
all the above are possible however, the chain will not mesh on the lower jockey wheel if it is a wide narrow design and the chain is not aligned with that: so I doubt that is the problem. When the rag jammed the chain would have been forcing the mech backwards. What stops it is the B tension screw. The thread on that may have been stripped meaning your derailleur now has little or no tension especially when on the smaller cogs.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
First - Are you sure you re-tightened the top jockey wheel retaining bolt after replacing the lower jockey wheel? That bolt will have loosened when you moved the cage with the lower jockey removed

What's actually happening at 4s in your video is that your chain is catching your 3rd largest sprocket's shifting ramps and trying to shift into that gear. It's doing so because your indexing is out. If you've now checked both jockey wheels are correctly fitted and secured. The next thing you need to do is check your indexing. Turn the cable tension adjuster on your shifter a quarter turn clockwise to release a little tension and repeat until it shifts nicely from larger to smaller sprockets. If it doesn't adjust perfectly across all gears there's a good chance your hanger/mech is bent. don't try to straighten either yourself.. Take the bike to a decent bike shop and they will check both for you and straighten/replace if required.

MikerB's advice about your B-tension screw is incorrect. Ignore it. and don't touch either the limit screws or the B-tension screw.

DtEW

Dec 8, 2020
Bay Area, California
was drying chain off with a rag while spinning the chain using walk mode (regret this now)

You should be glad it was just a rag and not your finger. Or your finger in an unintentional rag tourniquet.

It can't be stated enough: turn off your e-bike if you need to touch/fix/deal with your drivetrain. This is something that might be easy to forget if you are out on the trail and just need to pull some vegetation lodged in your drivetrain.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
It can't be stated enough: turn off your e-bike if you need to touch/fix/deal with your drivetrain. This is something that might be easy to forget if you are out on the trail and just need to pull some vegetation lodged in your drivetrain.
That is a very good reminder to everyone. I have stopped to do stuff to my bike's drivetrain. I can't recall actively switching off the power, but I'm fairly sure I must have as it is the sort of thing that I do automatically. So automatically that I now can't recall doing it! :unsure:
Must stop and think more! :eek:

richysgc

Nov 9, 2020
Sunderland
You should be glad it was just a rag and not your finger. Or your finger in an unintentional rag tourniquet.

100% agree and lesson learned with it, a total lapse in concentration by self.

Ive been out and had another look over it this morning, functioned it through all the gears. Its very sloppy changing between gear, it also stops short of the smallest gear and when its on he biggest gear the chain then jumps off the cassette towards he wheel, its an 11 speed but only shifting through 10 of the gears. It looks like the derailleur is going to far past the cassette causing he chain to come off, and im guessing this will also be why it wont go onto the smallest gear as it wont shift all the way over.

Cant see any obvious damage or anything bent so im hoping it needs re-adjusting and that will sort it. Ive got it booked in with the LBS on wednesday.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles