Drivetrain!!!!

DeezNutzz

Jan 13, 2020
Temecula
I know a lot of you have done a lot of miles on your EBikes, I’m new to EBikes and I just had my first mechanical. Just wondering what is the best drivetrain out there for these powerful EBikes?

Waynetta

E*POWAH Master
Feb 11, 2020
Plymouth Devon
Can’t help you there @DeezNutzz but was also wondering (and was going to post a thread till I saw this pop up) about longevity of these 12 speed cassettes n Chains. Bloody expensive so would hope to get a thousand miles (I get 2000 out of SLX on my old 10 speed Stumpy)

DeezNutzz

Jan 13, 2020
Temecula
Can’t help you there @DeezNutzz but was also wondering (and was going to post a thread till I saw this pop up) about longevity of these 12 speed cassettes n Chains. Bloody expensive so would hope to get a thousand miles (I get 2000 out of SLX on my old 10 speed Stumpy)
I’m not even considering a 12 speed drivetrain just cuz this EBike already helps in all gears, I was planning 11 or even 10 speed. I just know the wear and tear is insane in an EBike and I don’t want to keep throwing money away on expensive drive trains when they all wear out the same kinda.

DrStupid

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Jul 10, 2019
Pleasureville Ky
10 speed for me.

The shimano m6000 cassette and mech have excellent ratios and range for an ebike, in my opinion. The medium cage derailleur is good and tough. The system is aggressively priced.

I'm surprised it's not being pinned more often as an ebike specific drive. Lol and sold at twice the price.

Simoto123

E*POWAH Master
Patreon
Aug 6, 2019
North west
Yep they certainly chew transmission components. The kmc chains are at the wear limit long before they start misbehaving so don’t be too quick to scrap them.
I read that a cheaper cassette and chain and ride them till they begin to skip. Then replace both together for ebikes.
Bit early to say with any certainty, but I feel that chain and cassette wear on my bike has improved since fitting an alloy front chainring. Only anecdotal and zero evidence, but seems like it. Hard to say why the cheaper components are lasting longer otherwise. The alloy renthal ring seems to be holding out ok.

DeezNutzz

Jan 13, 2020
Temecula
10 speed for me.

The shimano m6000 cassette and mech have excellent ratios and range for an ebike, in my opinion. The medium cage derailleur is good and tough. The system is aggressively priced.

I'm surprised it's not being pinned more often as an ebike specific drive. Lol and sold at twice the price.
What range 10speed you have for cassette and what chainring you ride with it?

Waynetta

E*POWAH Master
Feb 11, 2020
Plymouth Devon
When I buy a 2020 bike with 12 speed (as all new ones appear to have) If I want to get 10 speed fitted instead will the free hub need changing too and if so will it fit onto a hub designed to take 12 speed?

Beatn1K

Jan 25, 2020
UK
When I buy a 2020 bike with 12 speed (as all new ones appear to have) If I want to get 10 speed fitted instead will the free hub need changing too and if so will it fit onto a hub designed to take 12 speed?
Good question...
What happens to an x11 Di2 if you swap down to 10spd..?

Darren

Sep 25, 2019
Warwick
Sorry for just adding a question without any answers :giggle: but...
Wouldn't a 12 speed cassette last longer than a 10 speed, theoretically, as the wear is spread across more cogs?

Waynetta

E*POWAH Master
Feb 11, 2020
Plymouth Devon
The problem I see with the 12 and even 11 speed is the width of the chain and the teeth on the cassette. smaller means more wear regardless of how many cogs to play with.

Beekeeper

🍯Honey Monster🍯
Aug 6, 2019
Surrey hills
I have a Shimano 11 speed and wife a 10 speed. Her cassette and chain seem much more robust and will probably last longer.

When I visit the Cube website the emtbs are almost all 12 speeds now. Shorter life and also harder to index and maintain as everything is closer together. I bet the manufacturers are laughing all the way to the bank as we replace these flimsy components more often.

Formula 1 cars also perform well but how many races does an engine last?

outerlimits

E*POWAH BOSS
Founding Member
Feb 3, 2018
Australia
Currently looking at a standard 1x10 bike for the wife. I plan on swapping my 1x11 to it and putting the 1x10 on mine. I don’t see the need for 1x12 on any ebike. But think those who foolishly derestrict their bikes and run stupid big rings up front, it would proberly work ok. Weaker 1x12 drivelines, derestricted bikes and stupid big front rings... what could possibly go wrong apart from having your hand in your pocket all the time. ?‍♂️

Rusty

E*POWAH BOSS
Jul 17, 2019
New Zealand
These are good questions, yes do I need to put a spacer on if I go 10 speed or smaller?

I think you need to swap in a new freewheel hub. I know that to go from 10sp to 11sp you have to fit a small spacer on before the cassette - at least with the 2 different wheelsets I have purchased. In both cases the spacer came with the wheelset. With 12sp you do need a new freewheel hub.

Rusty

E*POWAH BOSS
Jul 17, 2019
New Zealand
Sorry for just adding a question without any answers :giggle: but...
Wouldn't a 12 speed cassette last longer than a 10 speed, theoretically, as the wear is spread across more cogs?
That is how it is supposed to work - and to be fair, on a conventional bike it does, however the extra torque on an ebike creates more wear.
To be fair, I reckon that for a lot of those experiencing this wear, we are doing 2/3 things different from our previous riding history.
1 - we are doing a lot more climbs we previously would not attempt. Or, we are doing those climbs a lot more often.
2 - I have noted a lot of ebikes out in some pretty rough conditions. Talking to the riders they did not used to go out as often in the slop as it was a lot harder riding, but on the ebike is it a blast.
3 - We are doing a lot longer rides. Not that it changes the over-all distance, but if you used to do say 20-30km rides and did drive chain maintenance after/before each ride and now you are doing 40-50km rides - are you lubing the chain during the ride?

Waynetta

E*POWAH Master
Feb 11, 2020
Plymouth Devon
That is how it is supposed to work - and to be fair, on a conventional bike it does, however the extra torque on an ebike creates more wear.
To be fair, I reckon that for a lot of those experiencing this wear, we are doing 2/3 things different from our previous riding history.
1 - we are doing a lot more climbs we previously would not attempt. Or, we are doing those climbs a lot more often.
2 - I have noted a lot of ebikes out in some pretty rough conditions. Talking to the riders they did not used to go out as often in the slop as it was a lot harder riding, but on the ebike is it a blast.
3 - We are doing a lot longer rides. Not that it changes the over-all distance, but if you used to do say 20-30km rides and did drive chain maintenance after/before each ride and now you are doing 40-50km rides - are you lubing the chain during the ride?
Yes good points there ?

DrStupid

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Jul 10, 2019
Pleasureville Ky
I can not say 10 speeds are more durable (longer lasting when used within the expected force range). I do not believe they are. My experience is that they are easier to setup, easier to keep working nicely.

10 speed chains are generally no tougher, or weaker than 11 or 12 speed chains based on the propaganda I read, and some test have shown the 12 speed chains to be more durable (longer lasting when used within the expected force range).

I often run and 11 speed chain on my ten speed. No trouble at all, might even shift a little nicer, it's hard to say to be honest.

As for hub, like everything else... it depends. If your new bike has an xd or microspline hub, I know of no 10 speed cassettes in xd or microspline.

My trance came with the sram nx pg1230 cassette so any old 8,9,10,11 shimano style free hub cassette would fit.

Rusty

E*POWAH BOSS
Jul 17, 2019
New Zealand
I can not say 10 speeds are more durable (longer lasting when used within the expected force range). I do not believe they are. My experience is that they are easier to setup, easier to keep working nicely.

Correct - they are however a lot cheaper. If you are changing components regularly that does make a difference.

NGreen

Mar 15, 2019
Orange County, California
Ex1 sram 8 speed e bike specific. 2 k miles and still original chain .

I don’t understand why more bike don’t come with this option. My first ebike (Fantic) came with this drivetrain. I think it had a 11-52 spread. Could be wrong though, it was big! That setup was perfect. Now on my Levo with x11 I’m always annoyed how much shifting I need to do. Doesn’t seem necessary to have so many cogs with peddle assist.

Kaelidoz

E*POWAH Master
Patreon
Apr 29, 2018
Belgium
Gk8sy6f.gif

Looking at this thread with my Acera HG200 9speed, Deore M592 & FSA dh 38t :ROFLMAO:

A06

Mar 9, 2023
Corona, CA
Super happy with this investment and it’s the fraction of the price, have about 100 miles so far and still feels brand new View attachment 26420
A bit of necroposting but I am very curious as to how this has held up since posting in 2020. I have found exactly a 50/50 split between favorable and unfavorable reviews of the Prime 9 but on paper at least it does seem ideal for eMtb use.

Cyclopath1000

Apr 26, 2019
Davis Ca
2018 e8000 drive train. Bearings or most likely the internal speed sensor mechanism are starting to make serious clunking noises. I have actually bought a brand spanking new e8000 motor direct from Shimano via COMMENCAL USA. I’m waiting for the current motor to go completely kaput ( hopefully that doesn’t kill me if it seizes ) probably would ship bike to COMMENCAL for the repair because the firmware is the original from when the bike was delivered. I could do the switch myself with just that one Shimano tool for the crank arm or something like that. But if it’s not going to a firmware imbalance might do it myself. What could go wrong!! It came with the EX1 drivetrain which I kept and now I’m on I think my third cassette, fair number or only the ex1 chains made in Portugal.

Next bike needs to weigh less than 44 lbs and have hopefully 160 front 160 rear.

I was initially pissed that the Shimano e8000 and it’s successors are non repairable and that they supply no internals to either motor or battery. But a new motor for a bit over a grand vs some insanely complex rebuild that ideally should be after a complete tear down and evaluation of every single part etc seems not going to offer the same a brand spanking new.

image.jpg

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles