Downhill Stance - What Foot Forward?

UncleB

Jan 17, 2024
Santa Barbara CA
While watching the Redbull Hardline Tasmania yesterday I had a thought. I'm sure most, if not all of us, have a dominate stance when coasting downhill, hitting jumps, and cornering berms. I'm a left-foot-forward rider, which makes sense since I'm also a regular-foot (left foot forward) board rider when it comes to surfing, skateboarding, snowboarding, etc.

With surfing in particular, it's often mentioned what one's stance is both in casual conversation among friends as well as at the professional level. For example, anyone that follows surfing knows that Kelly Slater is a "regular-footer" (left foot forward). I suspect this data is more important in surfing than other board sports because surfboards are directional and you're either going right or left on a wave. This make a significant difference in how the wave is surfed and typically with one's preference in going right or left on a wave, I prefer rights.

So... my question is why is this not as discussed in cycling? Being a left-foot-forward rider means for me hitting jumps and cornering to the right is more comfortable. When downhill courses are created, I'm sure that depending on which foot you typically have forward, design would likely give advantage to one side vs. the other.

If you follow downhill racing, do you know the stance of your favorite rider, or any riders for that matter? In addition to following the constraints of the natural geography, are the number of features to one side or the other considered in course design? What's your stance preference?

irie

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
May 2, 2022
Chichester, W.Sussex, UK
So... my question is why is this not as discussed in cycling?
It is not discussed because bikes work equally well either regular or goofy foot and is therefore a non issue.
cu_closed.gif

cozzy

Aug 11, 2019
Hampshire UK
I've never though about it.
I assume if you are right handed you are also right footed, so right foot forward.

cozzy

Aug 11, 2019
Hampshire UK
Right handed is left foot forward. Same applies to cricket, baseball, golf ...
How odd. I've never played any of them so have no idea.
I would kick a ball with my right foot. I certainly wouldn't fancy doing jumps with left foot forward.

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
Im left handed........left foot forward on a bike, left foot for football/rugby, bat right handed in cricket/ bowl left handed, left handed in tennis ( not old enough to play golf:p)

Ark

Mar 8, 2023
Newcastle Upon Tyne
I'm left handed, right footed.
It doesn't really matter which foot is forwards on a bike to me.
probably depends on what your used to when you started out.
I cant kick a ball with my left foot well, but if I jumped then I'd probably put my left leg forward first to land.

Running I probably feel more comfortable with my right leg. , if it were slippery I'd be worrying about my left leg being the one to slip first.
Even though it's the foot I would trust to land on best after a jump.

When sliding on ice or a varnished floor in your socks, would it even matter which foot you put forward? I think I could do both equally as well

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
Right handed and right foot forward here. Left foot forward is weird and while I can ride it I swap to RFF at the earliest opportunity.

Mario Antony

May 5, 2023
Portugal
Both, no preference what so ever.
Just Send It!

PS: it's a matter of training & practice.
Normally people prefer to skid/cuties to one side, but you still need to be able to do it to the other, "uncomfortable " side.
Practice...practice...practice!

Last edited:

UncleB

Jan 17, 2024
Santa Barbara CA

RebornRider

May 31, 2019
NorCal USA
It's all about practice. I was a righty growing up until a bad accident severed my right thumb. It was successfully reattached, but it doesn't work well. That was over 40 years ago. Now, other than writing, I'm pretty ambidextrous. That includes things like tooth brushing, shaving, using shop tools. Either hand works, so I use the one that has the best angle. It's all about practice!

I prefer left foot forward when standing on the pedals, but I bet it would not take more than a month or so of training to get comfortable with right foot forward. The thing is, unlike my hand situation, I have no reason to try to make the switch.

Still have the scar!
20240225_164039[1].jpg

Last edited:

Dax

May 25, 2018
FoD
Thanks for the great clip. It's also worth reading the written description below it. He's obviously worked hard to be equally comfortable with either foot forward. You wouldn't even notice the switches if you weren't paying close attention.

This is something you need to learn to be good at snowboarding, funny how no one talks about riding switch mtb. About the only time I switch front foot for mtb is on really long descents if I’m getting a bit of cramp, feels pretty odd.

irie

Subscriber
May 2, 2022
Chichester, W.Sussex, UK
It's all about practice. I was a righty growing up until a bad accident severed my right thumb. It was successfully reattached, but it doesn't work well. That was over 40 years ago. Now, other than writing, I'm pretty ambidextrous. That includes things like tooth brushing, shaving, using shop tools. Either hand works, so I use the one that has the best angle. It's all about practice!

I prefer left foot forward when standing on the pedals, but I bet it would not take more than a month or so of training to get comfortable with right foot forward. The thing is, unlike my hand situation, I have no reason to try to make the switch.

Still have the scar!
View attachment 135244
Damaged two smallest fingers on right hand (severed tendons) when a kid so naturally developed use of left hand when requiring four finger grip. But otherwise naturally right handed and left foot forward. Have surfed waves over 20' (10' Hawaiian) and prefer regular, don't like goofy.

Edit: And far preferred right hand bottom turns to left hand.

Last edited:

rod9301

Oct 10, 2020
US
I used to prefer left foot forward d, but many years ago i practiced every day for a couple of months and i became equally comfortable with either foot forward

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
I prefer to start off left foot forward on a sailboard, but the wind direction decides for me. Right foot forward on a bike. But as the sail/ride develops, I switch from one to the other as conditions require. Neither felt/feels odd (I don't sail anymore).

It had never occurred to me that this "preference" might suit some trails better than others. Interesting discussion point.

Switching from flats to SPDs felt odd for a while, until I got used to it. Switching back was nearly as bad and I had a few comedy falls when I tried to unclip when on flats! I soon discovered that I could switch back and forth without difficulty (probably can't now as I have not ridden with SPDs for many years).

B1rdie

Subscriber
Feb 14, 2019
Brazil
I keep switching front foot on the down hills so that when I hit a bump on a bend to either side its more natural to get some air and land safely.
But, as a right hander, I often offer my left side in sacrifice whenever I hit the deck, so my left knee, ankle and elbow carry more scars and chronic pain.

• Haha
Reactions: Dax

2WHLFUN

Apr 27, 2022
Trinidad, CO
I’m left handed but grew up in a right handed world. I swing a bat righty and kick with my right foot. Right foot forward feels best when coasting but I’m convinced ones balance is better on downhill, steep switchbacks to have your outside foot forward so I practiced switching regularly.

arTNC

Feb 1, 2024
Texas
Right handed is left foot forward. Same applies to cricket, baseball, golf ...
This is probably the most accurate in terms of activities that involve the upper body, particularly the arm and/or hand. The balance that is most optimum for carrying out a function of the right or left hand or arm is usually enhanced by the opposite foot placement. Not sure if I'm making that clear, but it's a balance thing for many physical actions. Your opposite foot is stuck out forward for balance as you push off the other foot for power and force.

Now, that isn't an absolute because every physical upper body activity isn't exactly the same. But I think this concept changes when you're talking about using the foot or the leg like in kicking something. I think most people will be strong foot comparable to their strong hand side.

This is interesting since it may be hard to classify mountain biking as upper body and/or lower extremity specific. Obviously both ends of our body are pretty involved in the process, so the whole issue of foot forward dominance for hardcore mountain biking may be a non-issue. Plus, especially in DH or just bombing a gnarly descent, you're often having to switch foot/pedal positions as you go by obstacles so you don't have horrendous pedal strikes and crash your brains out. :oops:

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles