Downhill with motor switched off

lightning

Apr 5, 2021
UK
Also they maybe have the assist settings set too high.
l use "eco" set to high and "trail" set to medium on my E8000 and never have the issues mentioned above.

However if l've got the bike in "turbo" or the high setting on "trail" (recommended setting in some reviews)
Then it can surge if l stamp on the pedals.

Also as l already said, if you are still in the low gears that you used for climbing, then that's not ideal either. Change up to a higher gear for the descent, it reduces any surging of power should you start to pedal.

Last edited:

Mini si

Dec 31, 2020
Derbyshire
I hope some of these people never ever drive turbo cars, or really anything with power.
It’s as simple as learning the characteristics of the bike/motor and adjusting to suit. All have their pros and cons.

I found my Impreza a lot easier. Learning characteristics of the bike isn’t all that hard but applying it all on every different surface or obstacle in all the different conditions the uk has to offer is where I find it more tricky.
Maybe I’m just rubbish on a bike ? but I don’t mind, I love riding it and I enjoy reading most peoples posts on here, it’s interesting to here what others think and what their experiences are. It’s alright too that other people have got more skills than me ??

Mini si

Dec 31, 2020
Derbyshire
What motor is fitted to your Ebike and what assist settings are you using?
It’s the Bosch gen 4 I believe.
I use all the assist settings most of the time, very rarely go for a ride and keep it one mode the whole way. I still (genuinely) find it amazing some of the places I can ride my bike/manage to climb due to the assistance even if they’re only quite short but sharp inclines. Love it!
As for the original post, I don’t turn it off to go downhills, I do however turn it down, and that’s just because I personally prefer a bit less of a kick when I start pedalling again.
When I first got the bike I quite often seemed to choose the wrong power setting for climbs, one in particular I just couldn’t set off on, it was a steepish very loose rocky bridle way and in the end the guy (who I know but hadn’t seen for ages) I stopped to talk to, after watching me struggle about 3 times very kindly offered to push me to get me going!! ??? it’s funny but it was flipping embarrassing at the time!! I just didn’t know what I was doing though, but I’m getting the hang of it. ?

lightning

Apr 5, 2021
UK
lt can be difficult to start on steep hills, particularly if it's a loose surface.

l generally change to a low gear and drop my saddle to help me get going but others will give better advice l am sure.

04fuxake

Feb 12, 2018
Porirua, NZ
Yeah...I turn off assist quite a lot when I go to hit very steep downhill sections, don't need any assist at all, but the savings if truth be old are very slender indeed. Shimano EP8.
I imagine the power draw from the motor on idle is probably negligible.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles