Levo Gen 2 Does the stock Rockshox Deluxe just completely suck?

1rider

May 2, 2021
Cape Ann
I have a 2020 Levo. I am not a newbie to shock setup, but I have always had Fox shocks. This Deluxe is not impressing me, the only way I can get an acceptable ride out of it is to run it at 40% sag which is not ideal. If I have more PSI then the ride is too harsh and anti-linear. I realize this is not a high end or really even a middle of the pack shock, I just find it hard to believe that Specialized would spec something that can’t perform better.

What’s the verdict? Is there anyway to get good performance out of this shock?

Cheers!

Specfan

Apr 11, 2021
Toronto, Canada
I have a 2020 Levo. I am not a newbie to shock setup, but I have always had Fox shocks. This Deluxe is not impressing me, the only way I can get an acceptable ride out of it is to run it at 40% sag which is not ideal. If I have more PSI then the ride is too harsh and anti-linear. I realize this is not a high end or really even a middle of the pack shock, I just find it hard to believe that Specialized would spec something that can’t perform better.

What’s the verdict? Is there anyway to get good performance out of this shock?

Cheers!
I am not thrilled with mine, but to put it into perspective, I did buy the base model Levo. The Rockshox 35 suffered from pretty bad stiction and I just didn’t like the feel so I replaced it with a Fox 36. Now the front is done I’m thinking of swapping the Rockshox deluxe select with a Fox DPS. I don’t think the shock is as bad as the fork, but a fox upgrade would he nice, as is the compression damping adjustment. Rebound only on the base Rockshox deluxe. ?

Specfan

Apr 11, 2021
Toronto, Canada
Rockshox recommends service every 50 hours of riding and I'm not there yet. :) I did service the fork but nothing much changed. It's not poor performance with the shock, it's that I'd like some compression damping adjustment like my new fork.

Planemo

E*POWAH Elite
Mar 12, 2021
Essex UK
My Deluxe was a 1000x better when I removed all the poxy tokens (3) from it. The progression as stock was horrendous. At 25% sag/no tokens its pretty damn plush for a cheap shock and I am now actually using some travel.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
The Rockshox Deluxe R Debonair on my Focus came with zero tokens. It was OK at 30% sag, but it still used a lot more travel than the fork did at 30%. The bike was designed to run with 30% sag at the rear (Focus made no mention of the fork). Less than 30% and it became too harsh for my liking. I used a ShockWiz for a while and ran one more click of rebound damping. It was a bit better. The ShockWiz did not recommend any air volume tuning, but I later added a token and the shock was noticeably better. But still not brilliant. I would not say it was crap, not at all, just not what I was used to. But I put up with it for more than two years.

Then I fitted a DVO Topaz T3.
WOW! :love:

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
been wondering about these as I have the RS deluxe on my levo.
the topaz looks a great option, what size did you fit? I hear you can go to 55mm stroke.
My Focus Jam2 requires a 210x55 shock, but I just could not find one anywhere, so I bought a 210x50 and removed the travel spacer that converted it to a 210x55. If you have a common shock size, these can be hard to find. They seem to sell out as soon as they come into the country. Mine was £450. It comes with a shock pump, tokens for +ve and -ve air tuning and all in a natty but robust box. It is very adjustable and has a novel pressurised bladder in the piggyback instead of a floating piston. The bladder is also adjustable and it alters the feel of the bike throughout the stroke.

Last edited:

Eduardoramundo

Aug 8, 2019
Glasgow
ok thats a little ambiguous.. does that mean its shit on the levo, the levo is shit or the shock doesnt suit the levo?
The shock is fine. Just needs setting up properly.
CB9EF520-1EDE-4B68-A2BE-CC95636956BE.jpeg

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
You seem to have omitted an option for Levo owners being the issue Dobbie. ?

1rider

May 2, 2021
Cape Ann
My Deluxe was a 1000x better when I removed all the poxy tokens (3) from it. The progression as stock was horrendous. At 25% sag/no tokens its pretty damn plush for a cheap shock and I am now actually using some travel.

I pulled up the manual and it does not appear that the shock has tokens installed necessarily. It does say “certain Specialized shocks have Sonar tokens“. Can anyone confirm this? It would seem that I would want to add tokens and not remove them though?:unsure:

9A41EEB2-9DB8-4645-A413-3B8C743C012C.png

urastus

⚡The Whippet⚡
May 4, 2020
Tasmania
I have the exact specs on mine, but can't find where I got them. I had to enter the serial # for my shock - ahh, found it. Mine is a deluxe select+. If you look just below SPECIFICATIONS there is a place to enter serial #. If you have a different model, you should be able to find your own way (or cry :rolleyes: ) Deluxe Select+ - RS-DLX-SELP-B2 - RockShox

If you're running 40% sag - take the tokens out. I did, then I ran higher pressure and it was good, more linear. You will need more pressure once the tokens are out but you will still use more or all of your shock and have correct sag!

Then I started playing on small jumps and drops. Started adding more and more psi and ended up at 20% sag. I put the tokens back in and did a long overdue service :LOL:. I'm probably at 25% sag now but have about 7mm free after my little jumps etc. I like that buffer - I'm sure I'll use it soon enough on a bigger jump or when I have poor form. I've been doing a rowdy black downhill run without giving the change any thought - everything felt the same. That's on a trail bike (130 rear, 135 front).

If you rarely play on jumps, flipping the compression lever to stop pedal bob is very effective at adding some bottom out protection. On the 35 gold rl forks, 3 clicks of compression damping is equivalent - any more and it stops being a suspension fork (on mine) :rolleyes:. I have since pressured up my forks too now, at about 25% sag too. I may look at tokens for it, but it feels OK.

Last edited:

urastus

⚡The Whippet⚡
May 4, 2020
Tasmania
Rockshox recommends service every 50 hours of riding and I'm not there yet. :) I did service the fork but nothing much changed. It's not poor performance with the shock, it's that I'd like some compression damping adjustment like my new fork.
For pedal bob? Do you have one of the levers for pedal bob? If you don't I can imagine that - I use mine on quite a few steep climbs and like it.

Last edited:

Planemo

E*POWAH Elite
Mar 12, 2021
Essex UK
It would seem that I would want to add tokens and not remove them though?:unsure:

Forget about whatever anything (or anyone) says, and set the shock to what is right for YOU. I suggested removing tokens because you said you did not have an 'acceptable ride'. I don't know if you have tokens in your shock or not, all I know is that my Deluxe had 3 in it. It was very harsh, I struggled to use anything like the 160mm wheel travel and the rate of progression was massive.

In a nutshell, you want to use nearly all the available travel for the type of riding you do. If you are not getting anywhere near to bottoming out (set with the correct sag) then remove tokens. It really is that simple :)

thewrx

Sep 4, 2019
US
It needs lower service, many riders have mentioned improvement. However it is an entry level fork so its limited in response and adjustment.

1rider

May 2, 2021
Cape Ann
Forget about whatever anything (or anyone) says, and set the shock to what is right for YOU. I suggested removing tokens because you said you did not have an 'acceptable ride'. I don't know if you have tokens in your shock or not, all I know is that my Deluxe had 3 in it. It was very harsh, I struggled to use anything like the 160mm wheel travel and the rate of progression was massive.

In a nutshell, you want to use nearly all the available travel for the type of riding you do. If you are not getting anywhere near to bottoming out (set with the correct sag) then remove tokens. It really is that simple :)

The description of the performance you were getting is an exact to what I have found. I’ll open up the shock this weekend and see what I find And take it from there.

Banktramp

Jul 13, 2019
West Midlands
Suspension is one thing I’ve never played around with, I set the sag up to the recommended but that’s it. Maybe this is something I should be looking at but from the mixture of trails I ride I never seem to use all the travel ?.

Planemo

E*POWAH Elite
Mar 12, 2021
Essex UK
I’ll open up the shock this weekend and see what I find And take it from there.

Let us know too, be interested to hear how you get on :)

from the mixture of trails I ride I never seem to use all the travel ?.

All I can say is you're far from alone :) I believe many riders don't use anything like the travel available, especially on the 150/160 travel bikes. Due in part I feel to the manufacturers setting up bikes overly hard, probably because they don't want any reports of their bikes bottoming out and being branded lame. Not using travel isn't a major problem, it just means that riders like yourself are not getting as much bump compliance as you could. I am only a bit OCD about it cos I'm getting old and need all the comfort I can get, but also because I see no point in having a long travel bike (which are also generally more expensive) if you're not going to use it :)

I appreciate that opening up air cans and forks may seem daunting to some, but it's really easy on most. Rockshox forks are the easiest I have come across with the tokens just coming out the top of the leg after removing the big top cap. Takes 2 minutes. Air cans need to be removed from the bike, but 2 bolts and they are out. Unscrewing the two halves of the can is no biggie and voila. I would encourage anyone to give it a go :)

**ALWAYS DE-PRESSURIZE FIRST!**

RickBullotta

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Jun 5, 2019
USA
I am not thrilled with mine, but to put it into perspective, I did buy the base model Levo. The Rockshox 35 suffered from pretty bad stiction and I just didn’t like the feel so I replaced it with a Fox 36. Now the front is done I’m thinking of swapping the Rockshox deluxe select with a Fox DPS. I don’t think the shock is as bad as the fork, but a fox upgrade would he nice, as is the compression damping adjustment. Rebound only on the base Rockshox deluxe. ?

Consider a DPX2 instead of the DPS. A little more weight but better performance and adjustability.

urastus

⚡The Whippet⚡
May 4, 2020
Tasmania
I see no point in having a long travel bike (which are also generally more expensive) if you're not going to use it
I too like to get the most out of my bike that I can. Brakes, suspension, tyres - it really comes down to maintenance and fine tuning. I'm really at the other end of the spectrum though; I'm probably underbiked re suspension (135 front, 130 rear) for what I'm riding. I especially have to get everything out of what I have.

I think bikes are coming out with hard suspension because there are a lot of people who ride jumps and drops and going fast down hill. Where I ride the majority of riders are a level above me. If you don't ride jumps and drops then suspension (and tyres) can be much softer - totally different. There is a catch going too soft though re sag height and bb height and geo esp when climbing. That's why I initially removed my tokens, so that I could pressure up and still get even more compliant suspension while using the whole range now and then. Now that I'm into jumps and drops, I've had to put those tokens back in because I was having to put more and more psi in and getting a harsh ride, but still bottoming out on jumps and drops. Everything is good again now; close to correct sag and rarely bottom out.

Last edited:

1Nixxxo

Nov 29, 2019
Russia
Deluxe is nice shock IMO. Yesterday installed Öhlins TTX Air and understood how bad all Rockshox and Fox (including X2 2020) shocks are.
Too bad enjoyment lasted only 29 km before it died ?

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
You can drop the aircan on the shock without removing it from the bike.
Yes you can, and I did this on a Fox shock to add/remove spacers (Once I'd done it in the garage). One of the bike mags had done trailside spacer swaps and I followed their lead. The problem is in preventing tiny specs of dirt getting in to the shock. Soon afterwards, I sent the shock for a service and for an EVOL air can while they were at it. The service agent (Mojo) told me that the old air can was scratched on the inside and was scrap, so it’s a good job I wanted an EVOL air can. The scratch is about 2mm long and is very slight, but that was enough to scrap the air can.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles