Do you update your firmware asap?

Wilford Matt

Nov 10, 2021
Nottingham
Question
If your bike is running fine, do you immediately update the firmware if a new version is released?
I’ve an EP8 on version 4.1.5.
The latest version is 4.1.8.
I can’t see anything to warrant rushing to update, just bug fixes?
Any thoughts?

Jamze

Jun 30, 2020
Oxfordshire
I'll leave it until I'm at the bike shop for something else usually. I guess if there was a showstopper issue that they'd fixed I'd make a special trip. My Bosch is several versions behind but working well.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
I too have 4.1.5. I was unaware of the later version, but I will not be rushing to install as my motor is working just fine as it is.

I have read about some later versions on the e8000 (that I used to have) that were worse for the owner. Maybe they made things better for Shimano, otherwise why issue them?

blueglide

Jan 2, 2021
Tucson, AZ USA
I just updated mine to 4.1.8
Release notes:
Bug fixes for the error detection function.
・Improved the display accuracy for the assist traveling range.

Those sound like good reasons to update

Wilford Matt

Nov 10, 2021
Nottingham
I’m certainly one for if it ain’t broke don’t fix it.
Shimano don’t seem to put release notes on their updates just a very brief description of what’s included, no details.
It’s a shame with it only being released in December 21, that there’s no user input from those that have updated, for better or worse.

Wilford Matt

Nov 10, 2021
Nottingham
Well I said stuff it and updated it to latest firmware before I even rode it - new bike.
I was very apprehensive, however it wasn't justified, as it was all done in 10 minutes from turning bike on, connecting app to completion.

RustyIron

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
Jun 5, 2021
La Habra, California
Right on, Will.
I'm always running the latest software on everything I own that runs software: bike, phone, washing machine, yard sprinklers, etc.

My area of expertise is big motors and even bigger software, and that's helped form my opinion regarding my bike. There are indeed risks in updating software. Maybe you'll blow it up during the upgrade. Maybe the software engineer inadvertently introduced a new glitch, and you'll be the poor sod to experience the failure on the trail. On the other hand, the new software is intended to fix glitches that have been discovered, and improve operation.

Whatever decision you make regarding an upgrade, there's a risk. Do you want to risk experiencing a known failure that they're currently patching, while you're on the trail? Do you want to risk some kind of failure during the upgrade, while you're in the comfort of your garage?

M AP

Dec 27, 2021
Milan, Italy
I'd usually apply all upgrades to my phone, computer, my Garmin watch and to my ebikes of course, as they are available. I may have been lucky but I've never experienced any real issue. Of course I may have had no issues as well without upgrading, I'd never know. I tend to give a chance to software developers judgement on deciding when a patch is due.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles