Firmware updates

gelfy666

Aug 17, 2018
Telford
Sorry to ask this but I'm learning about ebikes etc.
Software updates.... Is that something that has to be done by bike shops by plugging the bike into a pc? Or is it something anyone can do at home... Or is it dependent on the brand?

Bonz

Jul 2, 2018
New Zealand
Software updates.... Is that something that has to be done by bike shops by plugging the bike into a pc? Or is it something anyone can do at home... Or is it dependent on the brand?
Updates on my Shimano I can do from my IPad using their App they call E-TUBE.
I think most other brands have something similar.

Bob lakin

Aug 4, 2018
Devon
I update my marida with smart phone and Bluetooth.

Bob lakin

Aug 4, 2018
Devon
I just use my smartphone and Bluetooth to update my marida

MartinW148

May 30, 2018
Essex, England
Both, have a look at http://e-tubeproject.shimano.com/
Gives you an idea of what we can play with.
I have the e-tube app. Actually first thing I did when I got the bike was up date all the firmware/software from the app.

I wonder if there any further updates only a dealer can do. Even though I am on the latest version (at least according to e-tube), the custom setting on mine is still Low/Med/High not infinitely adjustable (or is this as good as it gets). I do find the customisation compared to say the Brose, very limited.

Bonz

Jul 2, 2018
New Zealand
I have the e-tube app. Actually first thing I did when I got the bike was up date all the firmware/software from the app.

I wonder if there any further updates only a dealer can do. Even though I am on the latest version (at least according to e-tube), the custom setting on mine is still Low/Med/High not infinitely adjustable (or is this as good as it gets). I do find the customisation compared to say the Brose, very limited.
Yes, I know some things only the Shimano rep can do.
Here in NZ Shimano upgraded our top speed from 25 to 32 k’s.
The rep had to do the mod, not the dealer.

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
With the Shimano you don’t need a dealer to update the software. The Shimano controllers, motors, and batteries can all be updated as and when by the user - however only a dealer can muck about with anything related to speed limit/oem settings etc. There are 3rd party ways round this but that’s not an area that interests me or I have any knowledge of.

I believe the Bosch systems are similar and don’t require dealer involvement. Brose is obviously manafcutre dependent. No idea about Yamaha

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
Yes, I know some things only the Shimano rep can do.
Here in NZ Shimano upgraded our top speed from 25 to 32 k’s.
The rep had to do the mod, not the dealer.

Was that within the legal limit in NZ or did they do it off the books so to speak?

ChrisB NZ

Aug 21, 2018
Auckland, New Zealand
Are you getting 32Km/hr Bonz? I'm getting more like 30 (on the display) before the motor cuts out. Not sure whether this is a wheel size thing or something else. Also haven't tested this with GPS to see how accurate the display speed is.

Bonz

Jul 2, 2018
New Zealand
Are you getting 32Km/hr Bonz? I'm getting more like 30 (on the display) before the motor cuts out. Not sure whether this is a wheel size thing or something else. Also haven't tested this with GPS to see how accurate the display speed is.
Seems to depend on how charged the battery is.
If the battery is fully charged I get around 32, if the battery is down a bit I get around 30.
Also seems to vary a little with different brands.
I can ride at 22 beside my mate on his Bosch powered beast, he gets 23 on his display. Same wheal size.

Mike F

Aug 22, 2018
Auckland New Zealand
Yep I am getting to about 30 or 31 when it cuts out rather than 32km/hr on my e one sixty (display).
I believe NZ does not have a speed limit rather limited by power ? However as we are such a small market we get either the standard 25 or 32 km/hr that other countries have.

ChrisB NZ

Aug 21, 2018
Auckland, New Zealand
I think you're right Mike. Sort of strange. You'd think 32 would be 32. The Shimano system must use the wheel rotation to measure and display speed, and the motor cut off should correlate exactly with that. Maybe the cutoff is gradual and starts to kick in at 30 Km/hr with power assist going to zero at 32 Km/hr. It sort of feels this way - you basically run out of grunt.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles