do you insure your E-mtb?

Cavi

Jun 15, 2020
California, usa
Do you insure your E-mtb? Found out the hard way that they are not covered under home owner's ins. Since they have a motor they are not covered by insurances as a bike anymore. Have not really found a inexpensive solution

davarello

Oct 29, 2018
New Zealand
Mine is an add-on policy to my AMI (NZ) contents insurance - full replacement cover for theft and crashes (including racing) plus third party in case I dent someone's car etc. Not cheap (5% of value p.a.) but good for peace of mind.

Levo-Lon

Jan 21, 2020
Uk
Our Barclays home contents covers any bike upto 2500..
It gets very expensive when trying to insure 2ebikes

Also being under insured can cause insurance Not to pay out..

Last edited:

Phill_B_34

Feb 11, 2019
Brisbane, AUS
My insurance (in Aust) treats high value bikes the same way as jewellery etc. i.e. a listed line item on the policy, doesn't matter if electric or not as I have both listed.

Jackware

Fat-tyred Freakazoid
Subscriber
Oct 30, 2018
Lancashire
Added our bikes to our (UK) home insurance for very little extra premium - but do need to to be secured using 'Sold Secure Secure' standard locks.

Kaelidoz

E*POWAH Master
Patreon
Apr 29, 2018
Belgium
Yeah, around 120€ a year for theft and/or destruction (not including race). Doesn't need a lock if it's inside, but a rated lock is needed to subscribe (5O€). 100% of value insured the first year, after that 1% loss per month. Accessories included if it's on the bike while the theft and/or destruction occurs. Belgium.

It's pretty high because it's a mtb. City ebikes are way less expensive to insure, like 30€/year.

Pyr0

E*POWAH Master
Sep 22, 2019
Wirral, UK
I went with Cycleplan.
Covers me for thefts or muggings, accidental damage, personal injury, legal & public liability, and replacement bike hire

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
Do you insure your E-mtb? Found out the hard way that they are not covered under home owner's ins. Since they have a motor they are not covered by insurances as a bike anymore. Have not really found a inexpensive solution
That point about the motor is worth checking. I'll do that today!

MrSimmo

E*POWAH Elite
Apr 24, 2020
The Trail.
Cycleplan are good, there are several exceptions in the policy so make sure you read them!

for example
1. Secured to immovable object within storage location
2. Policy states they dont cover Cycle2Work (hire bikes) whereas their customer services team confirmed to me in writing that they do
3. Is covered for theft whilst out but only if locked to immovable object - ie they probably wont pay out if you got hijacked
4. There are some words around where you can and cannot store it, approved locks you have to use.
5. There is no provision for approved bike storage so they may state its not approved in the event of a claim

Basically, worth it imo but get cctv, strong locks to add protection. Spikes for top of gates etc to deter thieves.

Pyr0

E*POWAH Master
Sep 22, 2019
Wirral, UK
Cycleplan are good, there are several exceptions in the policy so make sure you read them!
for example
3. Is covered for theft whilst out but only if locked to immovable object - ie they probably wont pay out if you got hijacked
I specifically asked about being mugged and they said it would be covered

Cubie81

Jun 1, 2020
West Midlands
I went with Cycleplan. I've just got the bike on interest free and I didn't want the risk of it getting stolen before it is even paid for. Imagine making payments for the next 2 years for something you no longer have..
My house insurance would only cover up to £1000 and also didn't include muggings. It only covered it if stolen whilst locked up away from home.

KeithO

Apr 9, 2020
England
EBike insured seperatly through Eversure ?

covered for theft from garage (garage has five bar lock door system so bike did not need to be chained with an instance approved chain / lock system bolted to the floor), vandalism when out and accidental damage through riding

like other replies to this post, I went to add the Ebike onto the contacts insurance (the analogue bike is already insured on contents) and as soon as the guy on the phone heard ’EBIKE’, advised me that they could not insure a ‘motorised’ vehicle on contents as part of their terms and conditions to my house and contents insurance.

?

boBE

Apr 12, 2020
FL
Ours are insured through our homeowners policy. Our agent wrote that unless the bike is valued at more than $10,000 it does not require separate coverage.
Our garage doors here are braced and rated for 140 mph winds (and weigh 260 lb), nobody is coming in that way! ;)

KeithO

Apr 9, 2020
England
Ours are insured through our homeowners policy. Our agent wrote that unless the bike is valued at more than $10,000 it does not require separate coverage.
Our garage doors here are braced and rated for 140 mph winds (and weigh 260 lb), nobody is coming in that way! ;)
What if the wind is 142mph? ?

Quinterly

Apr 22, 2020
Vancouver
My bikes (road acoustic and emtb) are both covered with no limits on our homeowners' coverage. But, the bigger question is whether to file a claim if stolen. On the road, probably wouldn't because after deductible impact to premiums and losing the ability to be claims free not worth it. On a >$6K emtb, would file the claim.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles