e-MTB parts YOU want to forget

folmonty

Mar 11, 2021
NorCal
Not being able to access Bosch software to diagnose and work on my bike! Makes me crazy that we can't do this! At the very least give us an app that we can use the phone for and sell a Bluetooth device to connect to the bike. Many LBS just aren't ready for electronics in bikes.

KnollyBro

E*POWAH Elite
Dec 3, 2020
Vancouver
Most of DH WC scene went MX or full 29. I mean marketting aside, maybe they are up to something there 😉. But seriously. 29" wheel in the front is awesome for making the rough more smooth. No question about it. Full 29 I don't know. It's probably more about the esthetics and maybe MTB world will get over it. That said I would NEVER throw 29 wheels into the bag with bad ideas. And I'm more than sure I'm in majority here. Freeride and bike park? 29 is a joke there period. They have absolutely no use there.

I must be missing something here but the idea of 29" wheels being some how insufficient is just plain silly given that most manufacturers have switched over to that size or offered mixed wheel sizes. As mentioned above, the DH WC scene did it for performance not for style. As for Freeride and bike park use of 29" wheels, I would suggest the issue of 29" wheels being unsuitable has more to do with rider (over) weight, lack of skill and the general definition of Freeride and Bike park. For everyone who is saving bike weight by using XC wheels and then complaining about how they flex, bend or dent on the first bump, buy some better wheels or lose some body weight :cool:

Freeride on 29" wheels:

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Humour aside. A 29" wheel built with exactly the same rims, spokes and hubs by the same wheelbuilder with the same lacing pattern will be heavier than its 27.5 or 26" counterpart and will undeniably be a weaker structure in use. That's just basic physics.

I'm not sure we need a video of a 9 stone bike park sender who happens to be paid to ride 29" wheels to quantify anything.

KnollyBro

E*POWAH Elite
Dec 3, 2020
Vancouver
A sense of humour?

Haha! I guess you got me. After reading all those "weight weenies" threads and seeing all those fat old guys riding around on farmers fields, I guess I just popped when reading some of the comments in this rich man's sport/hobby :rolleyes:. Time to go ride my bike and enjoy the day!

folmonty

Mar 11, 2021
NorCal
Another point of contention are the charge port doors on Trek and other brands of eMTB's that seem to be weak, don't seal and eventually break as per @dixie600mhz thread in Trek forum. The design is pretty wonky!

KnollyBro

E*POWAH Elite
Dec 3, 2020
Vancouver
Humour aside. A 29" wheel built with exactly the same rims, spokes and hubs by the same wheelbuilder with the same lacing pattern will be heavier than its 27.5 or 26" counterpart and will undeniably be a weaker structure in use. That's just basic physics.

I'm not sure we need a video of a 9 stone bike park sender who happens to be paid to ride 29" wheels to quantify anything.

How strong do you need a wheel to be? What is a few grams here and there when the performance gains are quantifiable? With a decent wheel, the proper suspension setup for your weight, the appropriate amount of skill and practice you too could ride some of those trails. For everyone else, there are videos to vicariously live their lives thru. :) I included the video of Remy (who is closer to 11 stone) as its was a response to "Freeride and Bike Park, 29" is a joke". Although he is sponsored, he is not the only one who rides those trails but one of few who can ride them at that speed.

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
Stiffer than a teenager reading the Gratton Catalogue, clog really easily, heavier than the average eBiker.

Pop and ping over rocks and roots thanks to the sidewalls, even at 15psi.

Bloody brilliant for racking up road miles in lockdown though.

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
I threw away a set of mint Panaracer Smoke and Dart a couple of years ago... 😭

randycpu

Nov 15, 2018
Silicon Valley, USA
I must be missing something here but the idea of 29" wheels being some how insufficient is just plain silly given that most manufacturers have switched over to that size or offered mixed wheel sizes. As mentioned above, the DH WC scene did it for performance not for style. As for Freeride and bike park use of 29" wheels, I would suggest the issue of 29" wheels being unsuitable has more to do with rider (over) weight, lack of skill and the general definition of Freeride and Bike park. For everyone who is saving bike weight by using XC wheels and then complaining about how they flex, bend or dent on the first bump, buy some better wheels or lose some body weight :cool:

Freeride on 29" wheels:

That guy is WAY FAST!!

KnollyBro

E*POWAH Elite
Dec 3, 2020
Vancouver
strong enough it won't fail.

Weight IS a quantifiable performance gain.

ALL my wheels are moar than decent.
None are 29"

I have never had a wheel fall apart whether it was 26", 27.5" or 29". I don't buy or build cheap wheels. I have; however, dented up several Mavic 729s in my life. IMHO, a wheel that is a few grams more or less in weight is less of a quantifiable performance gain than taking a decent pre-ride dump. ALL of my wheels are more than decent as well. Cushcore for the win! ALL of my front wheels are 29" and most of my rear wheels are 27.5". Depending on the riding one enjoys, all wheels/bikes can still make it down most trails. I am sure you would agree, riders make bikes perform, not parts but some bikes/parts will make some riders perform better. Maybe its a Canadian thing to do but one is supposed to "pick a wheel size and be a dick about it." How Canadian of you :)

2WheelsNot4

E*POWAH Master
Oct 17, 2021
Scotland
I threw away a set of mint Panaracer Smoke and Dart a couple of years ago... 😭
My first bike, a light blue muddy fox(Pathfinder I think) came with a set of white porcs. But i threw them in the bin.
:LOL:
But who knows how these things will go. And its not only Klein level goodies, as £14.99 original price porcs can attest. We might find in the coming decades tat that is tat and shall always be tat will become so sought after to command high prices.

KnollyBro

E*POWAH Elite
Dec 3, 2020
Vancouver
Specialized tires that come on expensive ebikes although not exclusively an ebike specific part. I understand Specialized will always put their own brand on their bikes but I have always replaced them with Maxxis Minion Assegai and DHR II. I appreciate Maxxis predicability over the Specialized implied exceptionalism.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
I said "fail" not "fall apart"

Good to see the clichéd pre-ride dump rear it's smelly head.

Unlike wheel size and wheel/tyre weight jobbie has absolutely no effect on a bike's handling. Unless of course you shart a massive tolley all over your rear tyre and brake caliper.

Kimmoi

Jul 6, 2018
Finland
2021 Turbo Levo Comp original wheels. Soft as cheese.

IMG_9722.jpeg

VWsurfbum

🤴King of Bling🌠
Jan 11, 2021
England
What are you hitting, I live in a flint strewn trail area and my Vapour 35's have been really tough to dent, good rims so far, blame the wheel builder :cool:
These wheels were brought to me for repair ;)

I had some Vapours, great for rolling (love the hubs) but dinged the sh1t out of them at Ard Rock in 2016 (probably due to low pressures) I always run Carbon wheels and these were a stand-in set while I was looking for a decent set, Dont half notice the softness of alloy and strength of carbon. Never dinged a carbon rim ;)

Waynemarlow

E*POWAH Master
Dec 6, 2019
Bucks
I had some Vapours, great for rolling (love the hubs) but dinged the sh1t out of them at Ard Rock in 2016 (probably due to low pressures)
Only bad workmen blame their tools, in your case that all the air had gone to the top of the tyre, for your dinged rims. One has to say that rotate them 180 degrees and you shouldn't have so many dings in that case. :cool:

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
Only bad workmen blame their tools, in your case that all the air had gone to the top of the tyre, for your dinged rims. One has to say that rotate them 180 degrees and you shouldn't have so many dings in that case. :cool:
Never dinged a set of carbon rims.....................all I can say is that they were not a pure carbon composite layup then because it does not matter what modulus or weave of pure carbon you use, it is brittle. If it is not a pure carbon composite then neither does it have the characteristics of a pure carbon layup! My guess is that kevlar/aramid is is a key part of the composite. The strongest composite as far as impact resistance is concerned is fibre reinforced thermoplastic composite. That fibre reinforcement may include either long or short weave carbon in addition to other materials such as glass, kevlar etc.
Be aware however that any material can only ultimately resist impact either by deforming ...as in most metals, and the deformation/dent remains.........or flexing.........ie the materials deform and rebound.
The former is what happens to Ally and depending what specific alloy is being used it is usually possible to bend back into shape. The same applies to steel.
The latter is what can be achieved with fibre reinforced thermoplastic but even so delamination can be the result and this is not visible as surface damage. It remains an internal weakness of the composite and is likely to fail with further impact in the same region.

All4Fun

Aug 5, 2020
the Netherlands
check these out. working great for me.
A good drill bit and a set of Schrader's is a lot cheaper and more useful in case of tubeless.
Presta and the like is nice for narrow road rims and weight weenies.

ChillyWilly

Feb 4, 2021
Netherlands
I've just won a set., not fitted yet. Please tell me more.
Been running a Eddy Current Rear 27.5 x 2.60 Super Gravity Soft and absolutely love them. Not the grippiest tyre ever, but best balance between grips and wear. Also very predictable. And you can reverse them, because the thread is symmetrical.

Grippiest I've had where the E-Wild rear, but that had a quality. The tyre ripped at the bead. Multiple threads about this on the forum. Gonna try Kryptotal next.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles