DIY floor stand

2WheelsNot4

E*POWAH Master
Oct 17, 2021
Scotland
Its a good idea, but i will point out you are putting pressure on the threads of the main drive unit, so even turning the pedals could be damaging. It is steel on steel. Nice concept all the same.

Streddaz

Jul 7, 2022
Tasmania
Its a good idea, but i will point out you are putting pressure on the threads of the main drive unit, so even turning the pedals could be damaging. It is steel on steel. Nice concept all the same.
There shouldn't be threads on the inside and the pressure on the drive unit would be far less that what would be achieved in normal riding.
Scorpion stands have been around for a long time that do the same thing, just from the one side.
1660617053997.png

That said this stand would only work on motors with a hollow shaft with no end caps. I know this wouldn't work on my Levo SL.

2WheelsNot4

E*POWAH Master
Oct 17, 2021
Scotland
There shouldn't be threads on the inside and the pressure on the drive unit would be far less that what would be achieved in normal riding.
So how are the cranks attached then ?. Far as im aware its a hollow axle, threaded on the inside. Am i wrong here ?. You'd need to remove the crank bolts.

vaarticus

Jun 29, 2022
Tampa, Florida, USA
So how are the cranks attached then ?. Far as im aware its a hollow axle, threaded on the inside. Am i wrong here ?. You'd need to remove the crank bolts.
Maybe this helps. Definitely there are no threads where the rod goes through… and just to be clear, it’s not like you are actually pedaling the bike on the stand. But the ability to rotate the pedals helps a ton for things like chain lubrication.
93D01926-38C1-4B5A-A448-79CA685E47C1.png

Streddaz

Jul 7, 2022
Tasmania
As vaarticus said the rod would rest on of the internal bore of the retaining bolt and not touch any of the threads.

2WheelsNot4

E*POWAH Master
Oct 17, 2021
Scotland
If the retaining bolt is hollow, and not every one is. Mine is solid, so to slide a rod through you'd need to take the bolt out completely, so im my case, and I expect other manufacturers it wouldn't work.

The rod would also have to be hardened, and of significant diameter not to bend, and im quite sure a rod going through supported on the ends only, will bend internally unless it is the exact size of the internal bore and place pressure on those threads. Given most bikes weigh 50+lbs

I said it was a good concept, im not knocking it entirely, but theres a lot more to engineering something than just sliding a bar through.

turbolego

Aug 5, 2022
Chico
Next best engineering solution if you are worried about pressure on the inside of the bolt would be to have a rod that is very close in diameter to the internal diameter of the bolt.

But honestly I very much doubt this is a problem.

vaarticus

Jun 29, 2022
Tampa, Florida, USA
Next best engineering solution if you are worried about pressure on the inside of the bolt would be to have a rod that is very close in diameter to the internal diameter of the bolt.

But honestly I very much doubt this is a problem.
It’s not a problem at all actually, but to your point, the rod is 8mm and the hole is also 8mm.

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Without intending to sound like a male-chauvinist, prejudiced, disrespectful, chauvinistic, demeaning, misogynist, insulting, bigoted and slanderous tosser .... and actually purely stating a fact.

I believe @BAMBAMODA has a lot of experience with, and advises use this variety.

1660757531702.png

Though he does have to change bike stands regularly due to owner neglect and advises wearing a helmet if you're the kind of guy who doesn't have the philosophy of "Bike stand first".

Streddaz

Jul 7, 2022
Tasmania
If the retaining bolt is hollow, and not every one is. Mine is solid, so to slide a rod through you'd need to take the bolt out completely, so im my case, and I expect other manufacturers it wouldn't work.

The rod would also have to be hardened, and of significant diameter not to bend, and im quite sure a rod going through supported on the ends only, will bend internally unless it is the exact size of the internal bore and place pressure on those threads. Given most bikes weigh 50+lbs

I said it was a good concept, im not knocking it entirely, but theres a lot more to engineering something than just sliding a bar through.
As I have already said, not all bikes have a hollow crank bolt to allow a rod to be inserted but an 8mm steel bar would be plenty strong enough. If the bar sits on the hollow bolt it will be held off the threads for the tiny distance past the end of the bolt. The threads do not go all the way through the crank shaft, so even if it did bend it will still not touch the threads.
1660774811815.png

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles