DIY CYC Kit Crushes Trek Rail!

VWsurfbum

🤴King of Bling🌠
Jan 11, 2021
England
Really pleased you have done this review, I was considering doing this for my daughter built into a bike that we already have. I think i'll go with a shimano/bosch as it'll be her first one.
Looks like a hell of a lot of fun though :)

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
Are you comparing a Pedelec and an e-motorbike at the start or an 85Nm eBike and a 150Nm eBike?
What watt output is the CYC when limited to 25kmh?

Marjoriefinnegan

Jun 12, 2021
Uk
Good video(y)(y)(y)
You definitely have to use your gears.
The noise does make you feel like you're riding an angry wasp.
We love ours, don't think we'd swap for any off the peg ebike. We're just not that refined..... And being able to ride a big old dh bike uphill at a fair pace is flipping hilarious:cool:

Slowroller

Founding Member
Jan 15, 2018
Wyoming
Imagine that, a more powerful motor enables you to go faster.... ;) So many videos on YT of guys flat out ripping around on DIY ebikes. Of course, they also eat bike drivetrains for breakfast.

Marjoriefinnegan

Jun 12, 2021
Uk
True for sure, but we barely run it above level one or two now unless faced with a particularly steep climb.
We didn't get this motor for the power, it was because the cyc is quite a compact little unit and we couldn't get other mid drive motors to fit the frames we have without hanging low:)

Dirtnvert

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Sep 25, 2018
BC Canada
True for sure, but we barely run it above level one or two now unless faced with a particularly steep climb.
We didn't get this motor for the power, it was because the cyc is quite a compact little unit and we couldn't get other mid drive motors to fit the frames we have without hanging low:)
Thats what i figured, using the lower levels of the legal settings but having the upper level(s) for fun on the steep climbs. Is it much quieter in the lower levels? Hows the battery consumption?
It would fit so tidy within the front triangle of my meta am 29, no hang

Marjoriefinnegan

Jun 12, 2021
Uk
Dirtnvert ...
Can't say it made much of a difference to the noise levels, although obviously the lower the power the less the noise.
We haven't offended any ramblers with the noise so far, so we guessing it's not that bad :) but it's certainly not silent.
Regards the battery consumption, I'm getting about 35 miles on level 2/5 running 2.5 inch knobblies on a 200mm travel dh bike on a combination of on and off road riding.
Battery is a 3/14 pack using 21700 cells, so the equivalent of the cyc x52L

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
Are you comparing a Pedelec and an e-motorbike at the start or an 85Nm eBike and a 150Nm eBike?
What watt output is the CYC when limited to 25kmh?
I had the same thought when I watched the video. If the nominal power of the motor exceeds 250 watts I do not see how it can be legal even if the speed is restricted to 25kph.

folmonty

Mar 11, 2021
NorCal
Choices are nice. Best thing is being able to adjust the motor vs. having to take my Bosch back to a dealer. Hate having to do that @bosch ! This isn't something I'd do but know some who definitely would give it a go.

dixie600mhz

Oct 13, 2020
Austin, Texas
My wife's luna 750W destroys my trek that has the Bosch gen4. The Bosch is smoother but power wise it's like comparing a V8 to a Honda civic.

Bosch and Brose are rivals in minor league.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles