Display unit on new Merida EP8

ebikerdiary

Jan 14, 2019
Sydney
If your eyesight ain’t great you won’t like the stupid tiny B & W display unit on the new Merida eOne Sixty EP8. In daylight, for me, it’s like having black tape across the screen. Even in low light I can’t see the power assist font. Shimano seems too quiet about the option of the bigger SC-EM8000. Being new, not even my dealer knew about it. I now have the new unit but cable plugs don’t fit, and am waiting for parts. Hopefully this post will alert others with eyesight issues to check out your options.

Husky430

E*POWAH Master
Jul 8, 2019
Glasshouse Mts - Australia
If your eyesight ain’t great you won’t like the stupid tiny B & W display unit on the new Merida eOne Sixty EP8. In daylight, for me, it’s like having black tape across the screen. Even in low light I can’t see the power assist font. Shimano seems too quiet about the option of the bigger SC-EM8000. Being new, not even my dealer knew about it. I now have the new unit but cable plugs don’t fit, and am waiting for parts. Hopefully this post will alert others with eyesight issues to check out your options.
What display did you have, also which e160 model do you have? Is your display the one with the controller also built into the same unit, or do you have a separate display and shift mechanism? Just wondering as a mate has the all in one version and can't change his power output in the different modes.

ebikerdiary

Jan 14, 2019
Sydney
What display did you have, also which e160 model do you have? Is your display the one with the controller also built into the same unit, or do you have a separate display and shift mechanism? Just wondering as a mate has the all in one version and can't change his power output in the different modes.
I just got the eOne Sixty 8000 Carbon frame with EP8 motor. The standard display is smaller and in B&W; but you can get the bigger one in colour called the SC-EM8000 which looks identical to last years eOne Sixty but which is not compatible with the new EP8 motor.

New EP8 Display.jpeg

Optional colour & larger SC-EM8000.jpeg

flash

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Nov 24, 2018
Wamberal, NSW Australia

It has nothing to do with Shimano at all. Finding which display is attached to which version of the Merida e-160 is dead easy and finding a list of compatible parts from Shimano is equally easy. The e160-9000 and 10K come with the new SC-EM800 display standard. Pay more for a higher spec. No surprises there if one does a little research.

eONE-SIXTY 8000 - MERIDA BIKES (merida-bikes.com)

SC-E7000 (shimano.com)

You have other options as well. The older E-8000 display is plug and play switchable with the E-7000 display if all you want is a colour display. No adaptors required. But you do lose compatibility with the e-Tube ride app (e-Tube project still works fine). Plus the old displays don't support dual profiles. You could also replace the E7000 display with an EN-EW100 which removes the display entirely but will get you a small coloured LED to tell you which mode you are in. The EN-EW100 can be used with a modern Garmin if you want a display for speed, battery etc. Also hot swappable with the E-7000 display you have.

Or you could simply get a phone mount and use the e-tube ride app which is fully compatible with the e-7000 display you have which give a lot of information in colour. You could also hook up a Garmin device to your existing display but you'll still have a monochrome battery and power assist level indicator.

Gordon

Last edited:

ebikerdiary

Jan 14, 2019
Sydney
It has nothing to do with Shimano at all. Finding which display is attached to which version of the Merida e-160 is dead easy and finding a list of compatible parts from Shimano is equally easy. The e160-9000 and 10K come with the new SC-EM800 display standard. Pay more for a higher spec. No surprises there if one does a little research.

eONE-SIXTY 8000 - MERIDA BIKES (merida-bikes.com)

SC-E7000 (shimano.com)

You have other options as well. The older E-8000 display is plug and play switchable with the E-7000 display if all you want is a colour display. No adaptors required. But you do lose compatibility with the e-Tube ride app (e-Tube project still works fine). Plus the old displays don't support dual profiles. You could also replace the E7000 display with an EN-EW100 which removes the display entirely but will get you a small coloured LED to tell you which mode you are in. The EN-EW100 can be used with a modern Garmin if you want a display for speed, battery etc. Also hot swappable with the E-7000 display you have.

Or you could simply get a phone mount and use the e-tube ride app which is fully compatible with the e-7000 display you have which give a lot of information in colour. You could also hook up a Garmin device to your existing display but you'll still have a monochrome battery and power assist level indicator.

Gordon
You know your stuff Gordon.
The SC-EM8000 is apparently compatible with any EP8 bike, so I now have one and gave back the B&W unit. But the cable plugs from the new power switch do not fit. Dont suppose you know the part name or code for the adaptors?

ebikerdiary

Jan 14, 2019
Sydney
Thanks again Gordon. I have the SC-EM8000.
My local 99 Bikes shop confirm what you say, so the problem should be solved soon.
I cant imagine I'll be the only one going down this path of opting for the bigger coloured display rather than the tiny black and white version.
Cheers,

EW-AD305 (shimano.com)

You'll probably need a short cable as well.

EW-SD50 (shimano.com)

Did you get the SC-EM800 display or SC-E8000 display? You're mixing them together when you type *SC-EM8000*. So I'm not 100% sure I'm giving you the right information.

The SC-EM800 is the new one. The SC-E8000 is hot swappable with the E7000 display.

Gordon

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
Obvious question but have you removed the protective delivery film that come on the display?

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
Whoa! is that a thing? No I have not, nor did I remove it from my 2020 model. Why?
Its a film installed to protect the screen during assembly /delivery of the bike - bit like you see on car touchscreens, phones etc.

You dont have to take it off as I guess it provides some protection to the screen, but it will dull the display.

Ultra051

Jul 30, 2021
Australia
You know your stuff Gordon.
The SC-EM8000 is apparently compatible with any EP8 bike, so I now have one and gave back the B&W unit. But the cable plugs from the new power switch do not fit. Dont suppose you know the part name or code for the adaptors?

Hi there,
I have a question if I may. Gordon above ask's which display you have either the SC-EM800 or SC-E8000 and you answered SC-EM8000.
For the life of my google searching I cannot find this said SC-EM8000 display. I am hoping to do the same with a new 2021 ep8 Merida e160 8000, but confused on what display works.
Also could you be so kind to explain the cables needed to be changed and where they are?
Thanks for your time
Ultra

Ultra051

Jul 30, 2021
Australia
EW-AD305 (shimano.com)

You'll probably need a short cable as well.

EW-SD50 (shimano.com)

Did you get the SC-EM800 display or SC-E8000 display? You're mixing them together when you type *SC-EM8000*. So I'm not 100% sure I'm giving you the right information.

The SC-EM800 is the new one. The SC-E8000 is hot swappable with the E7000 display.

Gordon

Hi Gordon,
Could you be so kind to explain which displays do in fact work with the latest 2021 E160 8000 ep8.
Is it the SC-EM800 or the SC-E8000. Also you mention in this thread about a new cable and adapter, what are these for and where are they to replace.
Appreciate your time.

mark.ai

E*POWAH Master
Patreon
Jul 10, 2018
Windermere
Hi Gordon,
Could you be so kind to explain which displays do in fact work with the latest 2021 E160 8000 ep8.
Is it the SC-EM800 or the SC-E8000. Also you mention in this thread about a new cable and adapter, what are these for and where are they to replace.
Appreciate your time.

These are the displays which work with the EP8 motor:
1627646695494.png

So the SC-EM800 (new) works.
And the SC-E8000 (old) does not work as it's not listed.

Both the EP8 motor and SC-EM800 use the new thinner cables: EW-SD300
Older motors and displays use the old thicker cables: EW-SD50

There is a conversion adapter (as shown in a post above) in case you ever need to connect something using the new cable format to something using the old cable format.
If your Merida came with the EP8 motor (new) and a SC-E7000 display (old) then somewhere inside your frame there must be one of those conversion adapters switching between the 2 types of wire.

Ultra051

Jul 30, 2021
Australia
View attachment 67714

There is a conversion adapter (as shown in a post above) in case you ever need to connect something using the new cable format to something using the old cable format.
If your Merida came with the EP8 motor (new) and a SC-E7000 display (old) then somewhere inside your frame there must be one of those conversion adapters switching between the 2 types of wire.
Very Much appreciate your help Mark, Thanks .
Indeed my Merida has the SC-7000 Display so I will need to fish out the thinner EW-SD300.
What happens to the asist switch wire as it from what I can tell is the thicker EW-SD50. Will that plug into the new SC-EM800? Or will I need an adaptor for that?
Again thanks for your help.

mark.ai

E*POWAH Master
Patreon
Jul 10, 2018
Windermere
Very Much appreciate your help Mark, Thanks .
Indeed my Merida has the SC-7000 Display so I will need to fish out the thinner EW-SD300.
What happens to the asist switch wire as it from what I can tell is the thicker EW-SD50. Will that plug into the new SC-EM800? Or will I need an adaptor for that?
Again thanks for your help.

Aha, yes you are right, you will probably have the E7000 assist switch to plug into the E7000 display. So you would need the adapter to convert the wire size if you want to connect it to the EP8 display (EM800).

Or to be neater, there is a new EP8 assist switch using the new thinner wire which would plug in directly (SW-EM800L). I've never tried one of the new switches but they look quite cool, maybe slightly larger, and the buttons a bit more curved. And the wire on the new switch is separate I believe, so you would have to buy one, but it allows you to choose the length you want, which is cool. I'd like to try one actually?

Ultra051

Jul 30, 2021
Australia
Aha, yes you are right, you will probably have the E7000 assist switch to plug into the E7000 display. So you would need the adapter to convert the wire size if you want to connect it to the EP8 display (EM800).

Or to be neater, there is a new EP8 assist switch using the new thinner wire which would plug in directly (SW-EM800L). I've never tried one of the new switches but they look quite cool, maybe slightly larger, and the buttons a bit more curved. And the wire on the new switch is separate I believe, so you would have to buy one, but it allows you to choose the length you want, which is cool. I'd like to try one actually?
Thanks Mark for all your great Info.
Cheers

MRe

Dec 14, 2018
Helsinki, Finland
I have configured my Garmin Edge 1030 Plus to display the support & other data (cadence, remaining battery, remaining range). Cadence is also stored as part of your ride data but unfortunately not any other, like support or battery. This functionality can be found also in Edge 530 & 830. Wouldn't recommend EM8000-display since you lose a.m. connectivity (as stated earlier). And to switch to EM800 display you basically need to replace the switch & the cables also.

InspectHerWheels

Sep 11, 2021
Perth
I got the E160 500 and it has the basic computer which works but it is very basic.

The shop here ordered the switch, cables and EM800 for me. I have to wait until November but that is fine.

Hugh74

Jan 10, 2021
North Berwick
Does anyone know if Shimano has plans to update their displays? Bosch offer a number of different options, Purion, Kiox, Nyon etc...Was debating whether to get an SC-EM800 as trust my luck as soon as I get one they will release a new display!

Derek

Jun 11, 2019
Aust
View attachment 67714

Ok let's throw a spanner in the works. Firstly thanks for all the info supplied and on the surface and based on shimanos docs all appears correct. But... I have recently bought a giant Revolt which uses the EP8 and pretty much all shimano gravel components incl di2 etc. The only giant components are the battery and power switch. So an interesting mix. The main issue is this bike has no display. Easy I thought, just get a display on the compatibility list for the ep8 and plug it in. So this is where it gets interesting.. too hard to get the EM800 display as in short supply and expensive. So I bought the EC7000 display. The issue is that when it is plugged in (any ep8 motor port) is initialises with the Steps logo then displays an E044 error. I have tried every port connection combo and same issue. Weirdly I can connect via laptop steps app and see the display and have even updated its firmware to latest. I can also Bluetooth via steps app on my phone and change settings on the display but once you exit steps app each time it reverts to displaying the E044 error. Any ideas appreciated. As an aside I have plugged this display into someone else's bike that has an SC E7000 display and it works perfectly, so not an issue with the display. Thanks for any input

mark.ai

E*POWAH Master
Patreon
Jul 10, 2018
Windermere
Ok let's throw a spanner in the works. Firstly thanks for all the info supplied and on the surface and based on shimanos docs all appears correct. But... I have recently bought a giant Revolt which uses the EP8 and pretty much all shimano gravel components incl di2 etc. The only giant components are the battery and power switch. So an interesting mix. The main issue is this bike has no display. Easy I thought, just get a display on the compatibility list for the ep8 and plug it in. So this is where it gets interesting.. too hard to get the EM800 display as in short supply and expensive. So I bought the EC7000 display. The issue is that when it is plugged in (any ep8 motor port) is initialises with the Steps logo then displays an E044 error. I have tried every port connection combo and same issue. Weirdly I can connect via laptop steps app and see the display and have even updated its firmware to latest. I can also Bluetooth via steps app on my phone and change settings on the display but once you exit steps app each time it reverts to displaying the E044 error. Any ideas appreciated. As an aside I have plugged this display into someone else's bike that has an SC E7000 display and it works perfectly, so not an issue with the display. Thanks for any input

Interesting bike :) The Giant website calls the system “Syncdrive Pro powered by Shimano (EP8)” - so it seems likely it has been very customised by Giant.

Supposedly it already comes with wireless connectivity, so somewhere as part of the circuit there must be a junction similar to the EW-EN100 (but probably not a EW-EN100). With a standard Shimano STEPS system you can only have one junction which provides this wireless connectivity (either a EW-EN100 or a display). If you try to connect multiple ones then it won’t work. So I’m wondering if that is the problem here - by connecting a new display then you have 2 junctions connected (whatever the original junction is).

Have you any idea where the original wireless connectivity is coming from? It’s possible it could be built into some of the Giant hardware and is not removable though …

You might be better off using one of the Garmin Edge wireless displays with the original system.

Derek

Jun 11, 2019
Aust
Interesting bike :) The Giant website calls the system “Syncdrive Pro powered by Shimano (EP8)” - so it seems likely it has been very customised by Giant.

Supposedly it already comes with wireless connectivity, so somewhere as part of the circuit there must be a junction similar to the EW-EN100 (but probably not a EW-EN100). With a standard Shimano STEPS system you can only have one junction which provides this wireless connectivity (either a EW-EN100 or a display). If you try to connect multiple ones then it won’t work. So I’m wondering if that is the problem here - by connecting a new display then you have 2 junctions connected (whatever the original junction is).

Have you any idea where the original wireless connectivity is coming from? It’s possible it could be built into some of the Giant hardware and is not removable though …

You might be better off using one of the Garmin Edge wireless displays with the original system.
Thanks for the feedback. The Bluetooth connectivity comes from an installed unit from Giant. It allows connectivity only via the giant ride control to phone. It is not in any way shimano related. Havnt located it yet but doesn't plug into any shimano ports. That only has assist mode switch, shifter switch, di2 and sensor cable. All shimano to the ep8. The firmware for the ep8 and shimano components are all std shimano firmware and all current incl the latest ep8 Du firmware. The reason I want the display is to access std shimano options.. there is no way to do a di2 crash reset, no access to the gear you are in, no access to light off and on. Also would be nice to see speed, range etc via a small.display vs using a larger display or phone via the ride control app. Seems a weird integration of std shimano yet has allowed Giant to use its battery and power button. The Giant power button does show battery level and assist level. Their are more assist levels than the usual shimano 3 (eco, trail and boost) so would love to know how they have mapped that :).. the error code really doesn't help much and I am guessing neither Giant nor shimano will be of much help on this one 😞. You might be right on the giant Bluetooth device so might see if I can locate where that is hidden and see if it can be unplugged...

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles