New Merida SC-E7000 Display Unit

ebikerdiary

Jan 14, 2019
Sydney
Just got my 2021 Merida eOne Sixty EP8 and had my first ride at 45kms. This bike has not just been upgraded but it has a completely different power curve and is much more power efficient.
But there is one component that is very disappointing for a premium bike: the SC-E700 Display Unit has been downsized and only reads in Black and White. To older eyes like mine, its like riding with black tape over the dispay. Cannot see a thing. If you have an earlier version of this Unit you'll know how clear they are in all light; a brilliant piece of equipment.
I tried swapping with my 2020 Display Unit (have not sold it yet) but while the new one works on the old bike, the old display does not work on the new bike.
My retailer tried to install a firmware update but the program said the item was not compatible. What the....
Anyone had experience with retrofitting a display unit?

mark.ai

E*POWAH Master
Patreon
Jul 10, 2018
Windermere
This is the latest compatibility chart for the EP8:
1610798709320.png

From here: COMPATIBILITY | E-TUBE PROJECT | E-TUBE (shimano.com)

I assume your old display is the E8000 version (SC-E8000) - so unfortunately it's not compatible with the EP8 motor (listed under Junction A in that chart above).

There is a new color display just for the EP8 though - the SC-EM800, So you should be able to switch to that. But be aware it uses different cables than the SC-E7000 display. Your retailer can probably set it all up for you.

Also be aware this may affect the cabling from the display to any mode/gear switches on your bike! You'd either need to add some connectors between the cable from the display to the cable on the switch (to convert from old to new cables). Or I think there are some new EP8 switches which also use the new cabling - so you could use those instead. (The SW-EM800-L ?)

ebikerdiary

Jan 14, 2019
Sydney
This is the latest compatibility chart for the EP8:
View attachment 50054

From here: COMPATIBILITY | E-TUBE PROJECT | E-TUBE (shimano.com)

I assume your old display is the E8000 version (SC-E8000) - so unfortunately it's not compatible with the EP8 motor (listed under Junction A in that chart above).

There is a new color display just for the EP8 though - the SC-EM800, So you should be able to switch to that. But be aware it uses different cables than the SC-E7000 display. Your retailer can probably set it all up for you.

Also be aware this may affect the cabling from the display to any mode/gear switches on your bike! You'd either need to add some connectors between the cable from the display to the cable on the switch (to convert from old to new cables). Or I think there are some new EP8 switches which also use the new cabling - so you could use those instead. (The SW-EM800-L ?)
That is really helpful information, thank you. I'll pass it on to my retailer. Much appreciated.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles