Difficult start to my ebiking

Bazippy

Jan 27, 2019
Sheffield
So I've just got an ebike. It's a lovely haibike xduro nuduro 7. I went big on the suspension as I spent my youth doing silly stuff. I live near some decent downhill stuff now and thought better go big in case I need it. I've been out of biking for 7-10 years since I called myself a real mountain biker. Wow it's a steep relearning curve. The bike has great power but great weight, I ran hardtail in my youth and never really rode full suspension till now. I feel dead clumsy, ungainly and a mess till I'm heading down a fast track. The rest of the time it's a struggle. I'll keep at it and I'm loving the riding but so much to learn I'm feeling back to basics.
First 100 miles under my belt not all of them have left me upright. I'll crack on tomorrow and hopefully learn a bit quicker.
Ps i accidentally started this thread under general, however ive no idea how to delete it

All Mountain Coaching

E*POWAH Elite
Oct 3, 2018
GB
Don't beat yourself up. As an experienced mountain biker it was still a learning curve switch to ebikes. That'd what keeps it fresh for the familiar or interesting for the new. Post up some pics and just have fun!

ULEWZ

Nov 27, 2018
Northridge, Ca
Took me 6 months after getting on a mountain bike to feel comfortable and I was a die hard dirt bike rider for years. My son and wife kicked my butt until I felt comfortable and could trust the suspension. It was easy transitioning to the E-bike from the mountain bike as they feel the same and my heart isn't beating out of my chest after a climb. I am actually faster downhill and I think it has to do with the weight. More girth much more gooder me thinks on the downhill.

Bazippy

Jan 27, 2019
Sheffield
Downhill is awesome, its the technical uphill and slow flat rock trails that feel bad at the moment. As a group we used to walk up hills chatting. I now ride up them so its completely alien to be able to tackle steep ascents. I'm not put off loving riding it, just learning what I need to learn etc. Though tit would be nice to update other newbies if they feel similar.
Thanks for the messages and encouragement.

Kernow

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
Cornwall uk
Probably lots of what your not feeling is suspension set up , have a look at a few you tube vids on setting up suspension

Bazippy

Jan 27, 2019
Sheffield
Probably lots of what your not feeling is suspension set up , have a look at a few you tube vids on setting up suspension
Been working on setup a bit, it was way off the first ride and slowly getting better. suspect its about right now but will check it when i go out with some more experienced riders.

Bazippy

Jan 27, 2019
Sheffield
Having watched the videos ill have another try this week, problem i have is my bike has high and low speed on both damping and compression. Makes it harder then the videos make out, will have to do some in depth tries when ive got time.

flash

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Nov 24, 2018
Wamberal, NSW Australia
I am very much the same as you. 10-15 years off a real mountain bike and on a steep relearning curve. It's like a different world to when I was riding MTB's before. And an eBike is a somewhat different beast again. Just watch the GMBN tech videos on your bike set up. Doddy is the man, especially if you want to actually understand what's being said. Make only one small change at a time and ride it on a short bit until you feel the differences. I spend a lot of time on a 50 meter dirt path near my home. :)

Tyres are critical to handling and feel. I couldn't believe the difference going from 2.8 to 2.5 makes to the front of the bike. Some like it fatter and some thinner. Unfortunately you'll need to spend a few bucks until you find what's right for you. Sell the rest to your friends who need new rubber. Tyres are part of your suspension set up. So you'll be playing with pressures. Get a gauge.

Cockpit set up is critical. I've rearranged, changed my bars and bar length. New grips etc. It's taken three months of tweaking and riding and now I feel at home on my bike. Made a huge difference up and down hill.

I've watched videos on technique and practised and experimented. I don't think I'll ever be "good" but I am really starting to feel at home on my bike and I'm having way more fun now than before. The trick was one small change at a time.

If still falling off though. But now it's because I'm pushing myself to be better rather than fighting the bike. The bike is better than I am. Currently sporting 12 holes in my left shin from pedal pegs (that really hurts BTW) and a deep blood blister near my hip the size of a plum. That'll take a bit for the body to reabsorb.......

Gordon

Bazippy

Jan 27, 2019
Sheffield
I am very much the same as you. 10-15 years off a real mountain bike and on a steep relearning curve. It's like a different world to when I was riding MTB's before. And an eBike is a somewhat different beast again. Just watch the GMBN tech videos on your bike set up. Doddy is the man, especially if you want to actually understand what's being said. Make only one small change at a time and ride it on a short bit until you feel the differences. I spend a lot of time on a 50 meter dirt path near my home. :)

Tyres are critical to handling and feel. I couldn't believe the difference going from 2.8 to 2.5 makes to the front of the bike. Some like it fatter and some thinner. Unfortunately you'll need to spend a few bucks until you find what's right for you. Sell the rest to your friends who need new rubber. Tyres are part of your suspension set up. So you'll be playing with pressures. Get a gauge.

Cockpit set up is critical. I've rearranged, changed my bars and bar length. New grips etc. It's taken three months of tweaking and riding and now I feel at home on my bike. Made a huge difference up and down hill.

I've watched videos on technique and practised and experimented. I don't think I'll ever be "good" but I am really starting to feel at home on my bike and I'm having way more fun now than before. The trick was one small change at a time.

If still falling off though. But now it's because I'm pushing myself to be better rather than fighting the bike. The bike is better than I am. Currently sporting 12 holes in my left shin from pedal pegs (that really hurts BTW) and a deep blood blister near my hip the size of a plum. That'll take a bit for the body to reabsorb.......

Gordon
That's a great insight, got a few things sorted but setup is a slow improving thing. Cockpit is decent for now i moved it all around a few times and it sits well with me now. That's one thing ticked off. Suspension is a puzzle thats getting better i think and you guys have already helped me focus on it. I suspect my tyre size is fine 2.6 but i seem to bounce a lot, was thinking it was suspension at first (it was) but its still happening so going to lower pressures for the next ride (bring on the weekend).

Thanks for the advice and letting me know its not just me

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles