Did the Bingley Bash Yesterday, anyone else ridden it? great little course

BOTG

Oct 28, 2020
Edo

The Bingley Bash. It’s quick, varied and gives you the chance to see some great Yorkshire countryside, taking in views of St Ives, Harden Moor, Cullingworth, and Wilsden. If you’ve got 2 – 3 hrs to spare you can bomb around here with a big smile on your face! The route up and around Bingley (which has lots of variations) uses some public bridleways which are also popular with horse riders and walkers so ride responsibly and legally. Remember that walkers have priority. Reduce your speed when passing other users and remember to warn them of your approach. On the route you will encounter mud, boulders, quick descents, hard climbs, gravel, road and more mud. There are plenty of pubs on the route if you want to take it easy and a couple of cafes.

Pennine

May 2, 2020
Yorkshire
Do you have a gpx file for the run? How does it ride in the winter?

Bingley Bash is one of my local rides and runs all year round. Yes, there are muddy sections but it's all rideable. A lot of the good bits are off-piste especially around Harden Moor. Like everywhere else at the moment it gets busy with walkers in some sections. Definitely worth doing either clock or anti clockwise but avoid riding through that ford it can be deep! I normally extend by taking in Black Moor which gives me a 22 mile ride from home.

Rosemount

E*POWAH Elite
May 23, 2020
Qld Australia
Enjoyed the vid .

Oh FCK !
Submerging the motor may end badly .

Quick tip ; lower gears- pedal faster and let the motor assist . Grinding is not as efficient as spinning for motor and rider .

Rosemount

E*POWAH Elite
May 23, 2020
Qld Australia
I think Da Bearing Man would disagree .
I have read a few threads where motors are full of water when Bearing Man cracks the casing open .

Removing the motor and letting it "dry out" won't achieve that much unfortunately. Once water has entered the motor, it is trapped and no amount of warming will release the moisture, it will just turn your motor into a little sauna. Also if enough water is in your motor and it's sat in your bike, the water will stay around the crank area (this can be replaced) If you remove your motor and tip it the other way up, you may as well drop it in the bin or hold the garage door open with it.

This is a common story too. I do a lot of motors from hot dry countries and at the end of the day there are no seals other than the basic ones on the bearings, so dust or water, they will fail! MudStop and seal would help here (y)

If the grinding noise is ignored the bearing wears enough to lift the seals from the seats letting everything through to the motor, the enevitable fault codes are generally caused by water on the circuit board or as the freewheel gear eventually wears through the printed circuit board!
If you are out of warranty, ignoring the coffee grinder noise is the difference between a £15 bearing or a £600 motor!

Bosch failures? - EMTB Forums

In this vid Bearing man explains that water ingress wrecks the bearings on Yamaha motors ;

ATM I am in conversation with Specialized Rider Care re replacing my Levo motor .
One of the questions they asked me was ; how do you wash your bike ?

I doubt they would waste their time asking that question if the motor was sealed against water .
Tighter seals equal more resistance / friction .

Last edited:

Rahr85

E*POWAH Master
Sep 6, 2020
nottingham
Can't say i've ever wanted to ride through water on this bike, what with there being electrics involved. Puddles etc are a different story as the majority gets splashed out of the way by the tyres and then frame.

Mteam

E*POWAH Elite
Aug 3, 2020
gone
oof, just watched the first couple of minutes where you take the bike through that river that looks way more than axle deep, and it looks like the motor gets fully submerged?

I dont think your wheel bearings and any suspension bearings low in the frame will like that, let alone the motor itself. It'd be great if we could get away with doing that to the motor, but I'd be very careful to avoid fully submerging it in that manner.

I think you can consider motors splashproof, but not submerge proof

Last edited:

Rosemount

E*POWAH Elite
May 23, 2020
Qld Australia
Apology for being a smart arse Boots .
I am well aware of water getting in the motors .When I 1st signed up I spent a lot of time reading the motors sub forum . I have turned around more than once when confronted with a flooded creek now days .Watching you tube I have seen a few people dunk their bikes .
Then I started reading Bearing Man`s posts and got educated .
Just wanted to warn you before it turns around and bites you on the bum .

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles