DH World Cup thread

RustyMTB

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Jul 22, 2020
UK
Might be off kilter here but if JG wins the race, doesn't he take the overall? Unless complicated permutations around quali & semis kick in?

Untitled.png

RustyMTB

Jul 22, 2020
UK
Just looked it up. It's 250 for the win. 50 for qualifying first, dropping to 5 points for quali 20th. 200 for winning semis, dropping to 1 point for 60th place but I have no idea what the scale is between 1st & 60th for semis & 1st & 20th in quali.

So, 500 for a perfect weekend, so it is is wide open for the top four guys. E.g. Loris could scrape quali & semis in last place, win finals ending up with (1458+1+5+250=1714) & still lose to Loic if Bruni wins semis & qualis & crashed in the finals as he did in Snowshoe (1518+200+50=1768) & so on. So there are multiple permutations, depending to some degree on how many points are accrued in qualis & more importantly, semis.

But Bruni is in the driving seat either way. His to lose imo.

LowLow

Oct 30, 2020
Los Angrles
Just looked it up. It's 250 for the win. 50 for qualifying first, dropping to 5 points for quali 20th. 200 for winning semis, dropping to 1 point for 60th place but I have no idea what the scale is between 1st & 60th for semis & 1st & 20th in quali.

So, 500 for a perfect weekend, so it is is wide open for the top four guys. E.g. Loris could scrape quali & semis in last place, win finals ending up with (1458+1+5+250=1714) & still lose to Loic if Bruni wins semis & qualis & crashed in the finals as he did in Snowshoe (1518+200+50=1768) & so on. So there are multiple permutations, depending to some degree on how many points are accrued in qualis & more importantly, semis.

But Bruni is in the driving seat either way. His to lose imo.
I think there are no points for the quails and semis this round. So only 250 points left for grabs.

RustyMTB

Jul 22, 2020
UK
Is that right? In that case, it's a straight four way shoot out & I coud have saved myself a fair bit of maths.

RustyMTB

Jul 22, 2020
UK
Like Bruni last week? It's nothing of not an unpredictable business. Agree though, probably Bruni with Vergier on the outside chance.

RustyMTB

Jul 22, 2020
UK
Thought Ethan had it for sure. Oh well, back to GMBN advertorials for the next six months. 😕

JP-NZ

E*POWAH Elite
Feb 17, 2022
Christchurch - New Zealand
I don't care what all the haters on pinkbike say, that was one of the best years of racing I've ever seen and I've been watching for the last 8 years.

The juniors coming up are going to be insane to watch in a few years along with the 1st year racers this year (Goldstone, Williams etc). Downhill is in a good place. Can't wait to see the new tracks next year

Must say I spat my coffee out when I heard the Jenna Hastings / Bernard Kerr news, really doesn't sit right with me personally and doesn't look good for Pivot.

Spin

Dec 24, 2021
Australia
The racing has been incredible , no disputing that. Theres still plenty of room for improvement with the broadcast though , just basic stuff without having to delve into details like that one cameraman at the first rock slab that felt an extreme close up of half a wheel was a great way to show EVERY riders approach to that section 🤦‍♂️
CG seems to have found his groove on the mic and even though he still struggles to express himself in English , his excitement at this race was justified. I guess Gwin helps to balance the energy levels with his calm delivery. Ric still talks over them both , often to repeat what they just said or read something we can all see on screen. 😡
When we all agreed to pay for the live stream , I think it was reasonable to expect a premium product that at minimum , matched what Redbull had delivered for years. That hasn't come close.
Agreed on the BK/Jenna thing but I'm not gonna judge and it seems they have tried to keep it quiet. Svens little dig on Wyn TV the other day was funny though 😄

JP-NZ

E*POWAH Elite
Feb 17, 2022
When we all agreed to pay for the live stream , I think it was reasonable to expect a premium product that at minimum , matched what Redbull had delivered for years. That hasn't come close.
I disagree but everyone will have an opinion. I believe the track camera coverage & pre race/post race has been better than what red bull ever put out. Its their first year of commentary so I expect things to improve in the future.

Downhill has never been better, I finished 18th out of 1198 in the online fantasy so pretty happy about that too!

Tubby G

❤️‍🔥 Hot Stuff ❤️‍🔥
Dec 15, 2020
North Yorkshire
I disagree but everyone will have an opinion. I believe the track camera coverage & pre race/post race has been better than what red bull ever put out. Its their first year of commentary so I expect things to improve in the future.

Downhill has never been better, I finished 18th out of 1198 in the online fantasy so pretty happy about that too!

My commentary was always out of sync with the action, either 4 seconds ahead, so you heard the finishing position before they crossed the line, or 4 seconds behind, which was like listening to a delayed reaction.

If I switched to ambient mode, the pre & post race interviews were in sync, but then there was no commentary 🤷‍♂️

JP-NZ

E*POWAH Elite
Feb 17, 2022
My commentary was always out of sync with the action, either 4 seconds ahead, so you heard the finishing position before they crossed the line, or 4 seconds behind, which was like listening to a delayed reaction.

If I switched to ambient mode, the pre & post race interviews were in sync, but then there was no commentary 🤷‍♂️
GCN+?

RustyMTB

Jul 22, 2020
UK
The racing has been great, the organisation not so much imo. We dunked on Cedric Gracia earlier in the season, he's not great it's true, FIFTY EIGHT KMH THROUGH THE SPEED TRAP!! but for me Ric is worse, just phoning it in, comes across detached, could be commentating on any sport, throw in random track side reporters e.g.. Ashleigh Wilmott. Today the DH, next week, darts? rugby? and you're left wondering what they're actually about.

The semis are a pointless addition, they lead to a too long day, there has always been something great about the all or nothing one & done race format. Andi Kolb revealed the overall podium was cut from five to three, thereby excluding him but he wasn't told beforehand & said had he known, it would have fed into his race pace. He went on to suggest he thinks the UCI want to cut it to 30 riders next season. If that happened, we'd have waved goodbye to Jacob Jewitt, Kade Edwards, Joe Breedon, Grandad, Neko Mulally, loads of hella good riders.

End of term report: Great riding, brave & exciting as ever. WBD/UCI, pull your finger out.

VWsurfbum

🤴King of Bling🌠
Jan 11, 2021
England

Never had those issues?

VWsurfbum

🤴King of Bling🌠
Jan 11, 2021
England
The racing has been great,
It has been the best season in years, but also brutal.
track side reporters e.g.. Ashleigh Wilmott. Today the DH, next week, darts? rugby? and you're left wondering what they're actually about.
The two from this weekend (auzzie bloke winds me up) and is aimed at very low knowledge. The lady who seems surprised by people on bikes needs to be swapped out for someone with experiance of MTB'ing.
The semis are a pointless addition, they lead to a too long day, there has always been something great about the all or nothing one & done race format. Andi Kolb revealed the overall podium was cut from five to three, thereby excluding him but he wasn't told beforehand & said had he known, it would have fed into his race pace. He went on to suggest he thinks the UCI want to cut it to 30 riders next season. If that happened, we'd have waved goodbye to Jacob Jewitt, Kade Edwards, Joe Breedon, Grandad, Neko Mulally, loads of hella good riders.

End of term report: Great riding, brave & exciting as ever. WBD/UCI, pull your finger out.
The Semi's don't add anything other than tiredness for both the watching and the riders causing injuries (for the riders not us sofa dwellers)

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles